Quality of Powercore Plugs/Compatibility with Samp

Guest Tim T

From what I have gathered, many seem to prefer the UAD1 over the Powercore, due to CPU hogging of the Powercore and stability/compatibility issues (I understand these are not as much of an issue now). I am looking for something to augment my older Waves NPP (2.8 version) for Samplitude. TC Electronics has announced the Powercore Element (It should street at around $500, but can pre-order for $450), which sounds intriguing because it is not much more than the Waves Renaissance Maxx Bundle, which I was looking at. Really want a nice comp, EQ and reverb. Recording acoustic music - bluegrass,folk, etc. - so do not need a lot of "color" in the plugs.

Here is a response from TC Electronics concerning the Powercore Element and what plug-ins it will have:

====

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the question. PowerCore Element will include all of the plugins included in PowerCore PCI and FireWire EXCEPT MasterX3. PowerCore Element will not come with MasterX3.

PowerCore works with any VST or AudioUnit host application. Applications that support VST plugins through the use of wrappers are not officially supported. I do know of customers who are using PowerCore with such applications successfully, but I also know of people who have not been as lucky.

====

How does the UAD 1 and the Powercore stack up sound wise the the plugs in Samp?

Thanks.

Tim T

:rolleyes: Same UAD is the best plug i have heard.

Pultec / LA2A / 1176LN / Fairchild 670 / Cambridge EQ / Samplitude / RoomSimulator /RME (Multiface)and U have U're RealWord Studio at Home :huh:

Regards

ByPass

Thanks for the replies. How is the EQ in the base UAD 1 package (EX-1 in the CS-1 Channel Strip I believe), compared to something like the Waves Ren EQ? I know the Pultec is a different animal and frankly have no experience with using one, although I have heard good things about it. It sounds like the Cambridge EQ is great, but it is an extra and at this point I am stretching to just get the card.

Also, I have heard most of the UAD 1 plugs are fairly colored as opposed to transparent, in sound. Since I am recording acoustic music, I prefer something more transparent than colored. This is why I was asking about the Powercore because I had heard it was more transparent than the UAD-1 (which is great if it is transparent AND musical and not sterile sounding).

Any more thoughts?

Thanks.

Tim T

• 2 weeks later...