Import from other programs?

Guest TomH

Hi all,

New here. I've been playing with the ver7.0 demo and I'm wondering if there is a way to import projects that were created in Sonar 3.1. I've tried to import multiple selected files in the batch mode but the tracks come over out of sink. I don't expect to be able to retain volume envelopes or any set-up information but being able to import projects is a decision maker on whether or not I purchase Samplitude. I have 35+, 24 to 30 track projects in Sonar that I want to port over to Samplitude to complete.

Tom H

Guest Guest

you should be able to import it fine as audio, obviously youll lose channel eq / plugin settings etc..before i sold my copy of logic i just bounced everything to wav...

Guest Guest

use EDL Convert Pro (Cui Bono Soft), to transfer projects via OMF files.

works perfectly (in the limitations inherent to OMF).

I don't think there is other solutions (or complicated!)

Guest GTBannah

Hi Tom,

There may be a feature in SONAR that has to do with exporting "Broadcast" wave files. Something to do with "time stamping", where the tracks line up with the SMPTE time at which they start in SONAR.

I must admit that I am still learning SONAR. Sorry I coudn't offer more detailed hep. :-(

Well I downloaded the EDL Convert Pro demo and was able to fly a project into Samplitude with little effort. It was very smooth. I had to export the project from Sonar as a OMF Ver2 file. Convert Pro reads the file and saves it as a EDL file in a specific format for Samplitude. From there, Samplitude opened it just as if it were a VIP project. I was happy to see that the track names came over as well.

Now the down side. EDL Convert Pro is $200.00! I hate to have to pay that much for a utility file. However after all this, I'm still back to square one because so far Convert Pro does not support Sonar. Basically, I would be able to go from Sonar to Samplitude but I could not go back the other way. I need both options because Sonar has some functions that I will periodically need, such as the ability to extract timing from a wave file and convert it to MIDI. I use this to replace poorly recorded drums with high quality samples in BFD.

Thanks again everyone!

why can't you go back the other way?

Samplitude EDL to OMFI-2?

Actually, I'm just learning about the concept of transferring between programs and honestly didn't even think of trying that option. I just assumed that because Sonar wasn't listed as one of the supported apps that I was out of luck. I will give your suggestion a try tonight.

Much appreciated

Guest Guest
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 19 2004, 08:46 PM)

why can't you go back the other way?

Samplitude EDL to OMFI-2?

Actually, I'm just learning about the concept of transferring between programs and honestly didn't even think of trying that option. I just assumed that because Sonar wasn't listed as one of the supported apps that I was out of luck. I will give your suggestion a try tonight.

Much appreciated

This should work, but check before that Sonar accept to import OMF (I don't know Sonar much, so I can't answer that myself: some softs can do OMF export, but not OMF import, beware).

otherwise, EDL Convert Pro is 200 €, but it really helps if you need to do intelligent cross platform exchange often: the bounce stuff is kind of a crude method.

Guest Helper

Isn´t there a little translate progam (download in the registered forum)?

Description:

Export/import of SEQUOIA/Samplitude EDLs to TimeLine-OpenTL and AES31. Supports Samplitude-EDLs in format 1.5, with volume automationskurves and marker exchange to OpenTL (not integrated in AES31 standard). Now you can include projects from SEQUOIA and Samplitude to other professional digital audio workstations. With EDL-Translate you can import and export projects to systems like TASCAM, WAVEFRAME, Pyramix, ProTools, NUENDO, Fairlight, AKAI DD1500, Logic, etc. EDL-TRANSLATE converts SEQUOIA/Samplitude EDLs to and from TIMELINE OpenTLs and now also AES31.

Guest Guest

Yes, but I didn't mentioned it because it doesn't handle OMF, and I'm not sure that Sonar will make AES 31 or Open TL. So it would not be useful.

Besides, I never succeded to make it work properly (but I'm faulty I guess).

Guest GTBannah
Now the down side. EDL Convert Pro is $200.00! I hate to have to pay that much for a utility file.  ....

Hey, TomH,

I found this on the Samp Web Site ....

I don't know what "soon" means, though ....

Anybody got the "included" version yet?

07.23.2003 Sequoia/Samplitude and EDL Convert Pro

In co-operation with CuiBono Soft, each Sequoia and Samplitude CD will soon contain a test version of EDL Convert Pro. This application is indispensable for exchanging data with other DAWs, especially as it readas not only AES31, OMF and OpenTL, but also a variety of file formats of programs that include Sadie, Sonic Studio and Vegas. The test version is available to registered users in the Download and Support sections of Sequoia and Samplitude.

More details: www.cuibono-soft.com

Samplitude support area

Sequoia support area

Guest GTBannah
each Sequoia and Samplitude CD will soon contain a test version of EDL Convert Pro.

test version, that means demo version. ;)

Yeah, you're right ....

I guess we have to b a bit more patient, eh? Hopefully the real thing will be available by the time I'm ready to move accross .... ;)

;) Thanks again to all for the suggestions. I decided to email CuiBono Soft, the makers of EDL Convert Pro to see if they plan on providing support for Sonar. First a quick comment on this company. I'm sitting at my computer on Sunday afternoon, roughly 2:00p.m. US time and I decided, what the heck, I'll send an email off to these guys and if I'm lucky I'll hear back in a week or so with a suggestion. Imagine my surprise when only 2 hours later I get an email back. It's somewhere around 7 or 8p.m. in Germany, on a Sunday, and this guy is manning the customer request line!! I'm totally impressed and emailed back telling him that if the solution works, he has just won himself a new customer. I appreciate strong customer service and CuiBono is off to a very good start with me. Ok...enough ranting.

I realize it's generally not a good thing to post a suppliers email but since it is only positive and may help others who run in to this situation, here it is.

Hallo,

thank your for writing.

The test transfers you performed from Sonar to Samplitude probably used OMF as the interchange format.

The same format can be used for transfers between Samplitude and Sonar:

- in Samplitude save the project as an EDL.

- open this EDL in EDL Convert Pro

- click on OMF as the target format

- from our OMF presets choose "Sonar" as the target

- in the last conversion window click on CONVERT

- a new OMF file is created.

- in Sonar open the newly created OMF file.

Since OMF is a possible interchange format, there are currently no plans to add suport for Sonar's native project format.

I'm going to test this out tonight and I'll post the results tomorrow.

One step closer to Samplitude!