Intel's Hyperthreading P4's and Samplitude

Guest charlie

Guest charlie

Well not sure anybody on this forum will have the data to answer this unless some kind soul from the "official" registered Samp forum comes forward. (I do think it's prety crappy that magix won't even allow potential purchasers read only access to the registered site. There must be a ton of useful technical info there that we're not even getting?). Oh well here's the Q.

Will Samplitude benefit from being run on one of the new generation Intel "prescott" hyperthreaded CPU's with support chipset under Win XP? I guess the Q. rephrased would be is Samp written as a multithreaded app and has any "experienced" user experienced the advantages of using the new P4 CPUs?

TIA

Charlie.

Guest Guest
I do think it's prety crappy that magix won't even allow potential purchasers read only access to the registered site. There must be a ton of useful technical info there that we're not even getting?).

Oh yes. But fortunately the registered forum prevents for becoming just another unprofessional board, full of crack users, like in the Steinberg user forums.

Hyperthreading? The developers say, this isn´t an audio technology. There is no real benefit in the moment.

Guest charlie

What a friggin stupid response!

No it's not an audio technology its a PC computer technology and is relevant to ANY software application that is written in threads just as multi processors are relevant to multithreaded apps.

If I asked the question "Can Samplitude take advantage of a multi CPU computer" would your response be CPUs aren't audio specific technologies? It kind of make's your response look stupid doesn't it?

Either you haven't got a clue what the question means and/or whoever gave you the answer that you wrote hasn't got a friggin clue! The question has nothing to do with godamn audio. It's to do with the methodology in which Samplitude is written and whether the Samplitude engine can leverage on hyperthreaded microprocessors.

If you're a developer working for Magix I strongly suggest you wake up and get some damned education because all Pentium 4 CPU's from Intel from the start of this year are being produced on the latest generation 0.09u process incorporating hyperthreaded technology which brings substantial benefits to folks working with digital video. The question remains what about audio and the answer is specific to the way the DAW application is wriiten.

There is nothing that ticks me off more than a response from some ignoramus that spouts absolute meaningless crap in the name of furthering and benefiting a user forum.

Whether you know it or not sonny, hyperthreading is a very important part of the future and there are already competitors of Samplitude whose applications DO take advantage of hyperthreaded architectures!!

Geez! Is there anyone there in the Magix development team that really understands the question?

Guest old professional

hmmm...hypert...its something that old amigas use to do already at -92 and earlier.

does your programm need it?...hmmm my answer is that if it does its badly written.

in everything,remember this.the more simple you can do it the more you can get from it.

or what you say about this?

at 1992 you could by a computer that runs same time 2 programms.One for midi and one for audio.

They are sync and you get benefit of both of them.

What you did need for that at -92?

One amiga4000.What you did get? 8tracks 44.1 audio and as much as you want midi.

The processor? 68040.... ram? 2meg

So buy the hyper...i didnt.

Becuse its not our task,its the sellers task...if you talk about audio....

Greetings!

22 years in business.

Guest Guest

there can be a small advantage when using a hyperthreading enabled cpu. This is NOT the equivalent of a dual processor. Usually it may be a 20% increase or so from what I have read. In addition it adds another variable to the mix of UAD's, Powercores, software etc. I personally would by the fastest single processor, or a slightly outdated dual processor and deal without hyperthreading.

Samplitude of course takes advantage of dual processors. As a matter of fact if you open up two instances of the program each instance takes its own CPU.

Samplitude is also multi-threading enabled.

What I remember reading is that SAM development was stating there is no obvious advantage to 64bit systems as of right now, but that as technology progresses this will change. I think they estimated in two years or so.

Either way dude, you might check out the newsgroup where you will get more informed answers than here. I would check the attitude before I get there though.

Cheers,

Brock

Guest Guest

oh yeah..

and why the assumption that the other post was from samp development?

I'm sure they understand your question. Probably in more detail than you understand it yourself.

If you were my potential customer I would tell you to keep walking...

I need business to survive... but I also need sanity and a low stress existance.

Cheers,

Brock

Guest Stephen

All benchmarks with Hyperthreading, e.g. at Toms hardware forum, show, that only some special applications or task, like mp3 and video encoding, really benefit from HT. I ´ve seen also some statements on the web and in magazins, with the conclusion, that multithreaded apps do not really profit from this technology yet.

From Toms hardware forum: A few final thoughts on Intel's Hyperthreading technology, which virtually doubles the number of processors: when using typical applications that are optimized for dual processing, Hyperthreading brings no advantages with it. Rather, the overhead on data slows down the application. Only software that is specially adapted for Hyperthreading enables an increase in performance. In addition, when Hyperthreading is activated, the memory performance decreases drastically, which is partially reflected by the memory benchmark.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/200203131/dual-10.html

Intel has admitted it and promised better things for the next HT generation.

I´ve bought a P4 HT with the dual processor thing in mind, but I ´ve seen no audio application, taking a real advantage of HT on my PC. Enable HT in current audio applications (SX, Cooledit, Samplitude ...) there seems to be no lower CPU load, with or without plugins. I remember also some threads in the SX and Nuendo forums about stability problems and higher latencies with enabled HT.

I think, HT in it´s current state is only an Intel marketing feature. Not bad on the paper, but not really useful in practice. At least not in audio software.

- steve

Guest HyperWhaaa?

Just get an AMD and be done with it. Only "REAL" Professionals use AMD. If you were a pro, you'd know this and not have spent mega $$$$$$$$ dollars on an Intel Hypercrapola vaporware system.

LOL ;) (just having fun)

Guest charlie

Stephen,

Tx very much for that data. Actually you have confirmed what I was already picking up from other sources. My reason for asking on this forum is that I'm building a new system just for audio and I'm thinking of making Samplitude the centre piece of it tho' I'm still evaluating the software. When I asked about latencies related to my current setup on another thread in this forum, someone kindly posted a reference system that they had got form the registered user forum. This references a 3 GHz HyperThreaded CPU which sort of confused me based on the fact that I had read that in its current implementation HT in its current 1st generation probably was not the way to go.

I guess you can switch it off in the BIOS right before installing your OS so you can run the DAW with HT disabled?

BTW here's the ref system from the registered user forum:

P4 3 GHz (HT)

- FSB 800

- Board: Asus P4C800 or P4P800 (Intel 865/875 chipsets)

- RAM: 1 GB Dual channel (2x3500 512 MB)

- HD: WD 120 or 200 GB 8 MB Cache, Seagate Barracuda SATA

- Power Supply: Zalman ZM400A-APF or Antec True 480P

- Graphic card: ATI Radeon series (with dual monitor support)

AUDIO HARDWARE:

- RME Hammerfall (DSP)

- LynxTwo

Tx again

Charlie

Guest GTBannah
Anyone know the name of the samplitude newsgroup and do you need a log on id and PW for it?

TIA

Members only, bro ....

When you buy you qualify .... ;)

I can't wait ....

Guest Guest

do a search for newsgroup on this forum.

It will bring up a link.

It is not members only and requires no password. It is a different entity than the registered users forum.

Hyperthreading can be turned off. It's not a problem. I think you have to enable it anyway if I'm not mistaken... it's not the default configuration I think.

Anyways...

good luck,

Brock

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yllek

yes, you can enable/disable ht in the bios. whether it's on by default or has to be enabled depends on the default setting of the mobo...

if you decide to enable it, and do a clean install, you will need an XPsp1 install cd (search the web on how to make one).

for best performance (hearsay) dual opterons (amd) seem to be the way to go.

also, i didn't see it in your system spec, but i'd recommend a serial ata, scsi, or fibredrive for your "tape reel"...

enjoy!

Guest GTBannah
do a search for newsgroup on this forum.

It will bring up a link.

It is not members only and requires no password. It is a different entity than the registered users forum.

Hi, I did a search and only came up with a long list of posts with the "words" in them ....

Could you post the link for us, please.

Thanx.