Samplitude stability/ReWire question

Guest Seattle Pete

Guest Seattle Pete

Hi folks.

I normally use Digital Performer on a Mac tower and enjoy the program, however I'd rather be on a laptop at this point, and MOTU has very poor customer relations and support. My workplace is setting me up with a fast PC laptop, so I've been looking into DAW solutions on the PC that are reliable, efficient, and intelligently designed for musicians -- I don't want to spend all my free time troubleshooting a franken-PC with software that never seems to work.

So far, Samplitude seems like a real winner: Intuitive UI that's customizable and reskinnable, great features, phase stability and latency compensation, emphasis on the purity of the signal path, etc.

My questions are these:

1) My workplace will probably set me up with a 1.8 ghz IBM ThinkPad (standard office issue). What kind of performance could I expect with the ThinkPad, Samplitude, and a 2 in/out USB audio interface (like the MAudio stuff)? How low could I take the buffer? What is the smallest latency I could expect?

2) I have invested in Propellerhead's Reason, and many DAW's can run Reason as a slave via the ReWire protocol. Does Samplitude support this? If not, is this planned for the near future?

Many thanks,

Pete.

Guest Guest

samplitude has worked fine here on a 800 mhz thinkpad. usb audio is iffy, i'd go for PCMCIA or firewire if you can (tascam/maudi for fw, for pcmcia echo Indigo series or if you have the cash, RME...) or perhaps your laptop has a s/PDIF that can work via ASIO as some newer ones do..

rewire support is coming in 8.0 i think

Guest Guest

Rewire is announced for version 8 (in july?). Latency on a Notepad (don´t know the Thinkpad) with USB is not bad (10-20 ms), but much better with a RME Hammerfall Cardbus hardware (3-7 ms).