VIPs longer than 12 hours 40 minutes?

Aaron Ximm

Guest Guest

Did you try "append project" command? (not sure if v6 has it) if that doesnt work,....and it isn't a multitrack project, try to combine/edit the hdp's together in destructive mode. (enable your undo)

Over 12 hours?? ....what,....u fall asleep?!?!?! ;) (kidding)

must be something...interesting....

What I needed: 24 hrs of continuous playback. Uninterrupted.

Why? I was hosting a twenty-four hour sleep-over concert presentation of Leif Inge's '9 beet stretch' cf:

http://www.quietamerican.org/9beet.html

I had the work as 14.x GB of AIFFs, which Leif'd brought on four DVDs (this at 16/44).

Unfortunately some of the files cut movements in the middle of a passage -- they weren't broken on silence. So the playback needed to continue across file boundaries. My first instinct was to load everything in a VIP and sample-align it.

In the end, as I couldn't figure out how to get a 24-hour VIP, I just used Winamp after tuning it to play 9 several-hour files without glitching at the transitions -- a bit tricky, but doable; you have to adjust its buffering strategy and look-ahead...

I could have made several VIPs broken on silence of course, and manually flipped over, but it was nice to know I could just leave Winamp streaming...

best,

aaron

Guest Guest

Aaron,

I havent recorded anything over 8hrs, and that was by accident. (fell asleep!!) but I don't quite understand. (sorry) You were recording into Samp (into vip) from winamp so that you could record each movement into one Vip (or wave)? right?

4 dvd's tells me the files were already split up and you needed to combine them, so you could place the splits between the movements...

Did you try recording in destructive mode?

Well,....good to know it is done. So anyway,...this show was a recording played 24x slower? or what?? What Digital tools did he use?? Was there any visual with it? Must be real creepy stuff!!!

Mike

You were recording into Samp (into vip) from winamp so that you could record each movement into one Vip (or wave)? right?

To clarify,

I just wanted to use Samp as a playback tool. I had nine AIFF files that together totalled 24 hours; I thought it'd be nice to just lay them out in a single VIP, press play, and forget about it. But I couldn't get a 24 hour VIP, only the cap 12 hours and 40 minutes.

So I ended up adding them to a play-list in Winamp and playing them back with that application. With tuning it could smoothly transition from file to file without glitching. Samp ended up unused.

No recording needed to be done as the piece was already done and bounced to 16/44... although if I had used Samp I would have had to translate the AIFFs into WAVs. What's another 14 GB on my harddrive, give or take...? ;)

So anyway,...this show was a recording played 24x slower? or what?? What Digital tools did he use?? Was there any visual with it? Must be real creepy stuff!!!

If you hit that URL I provided, there's a link to streaming versions online!

It's actually quite beautiful -- check out the 3rd movement in particlular. Many parts of it evoke, say, the beginning of Wish You Were Here, U2, often Eno, or the composer Messian... haunting, majestic, grand.

The timestretch (not resample -- pitch was preserved) was done using custom code written in Common Lisp Music I believe, not using any conventional pitch/time stretching tools. The results were very smooth, not granulated or artifacty at all!

The whole thing is coming out on the label Table of the Elements -- probably as a DVD in a high-bitrate compressed version... ;)

aaron

http://www.quietamerican.org

Guest Guest

I don't use RealAudio,..I hate it.

But,...from what I understand, this is ...pre-recorded material,...right?? Composed by,...recorded by?? (I am not familiar with classical music much)

It says: "It is the best-known symphony in the world transformed"

I know who's music it is,...but...who actually recorded it for him to manipulate?

His symphony? And,...that is what he's doing,...manipulating a score,..I have wanted to do this with Samplitude many many times,......(varispeed) on almost any material...it is very cool.

Mike

I know whose music it is,...but...who actually recorded it for him to manipulate?

He's done the process to several different versions of the symphony, some "famous" or "classic" recordings and some unknown. Obviously there are many to choose from! He tried different versions to see how much difference there was.

Different versions have different "sounds" of course, like the original recordings. The variation in the relative length of the different movements is quite extreme, eg almost two hours difference in where the middle movements change, on the two versions I have.

The one that will be released, he has secured rights for with the original publishing company. He contacted many labels asking if they would be interested in participating (eg granting rights, and having some opportunities for PR and press in exchange...) and went with the one that responded best...

aaron

Guest Guest

Yea,...it is an (freakin) excellent idea and..... whats even better is,...he is going to get paid...and recognized for this work!!

Mike