Vsti vs sampled percussion

Guest Dr. Rythym

Guest Dr. Rythym

Hello,

I get much satisfaction from mixing drums, kick snare toms percussion, cymbols etc.. I construct my kits and patterns in Vip with objects,....... I sometimes send kick/snare; toms;cymbols; each to thier own buss channel,...then add Room sim Ambience for each,...then may send mix to aux with another Room sim . This may not be my exact method all the time,...but you get the jist of it,..,...I have fun mixing it to get it where it needs to be.

However I am looking at some vsti programs that are very interesting,..DFHS; BFD...Battery too. Other than the sound, what benifit will I achieve, ...will I loose that personal touch using a vsti instead of manually construction my percussion? I mean,...if I already have excellent percussion samples,...and use the room sim carefully, couldnt I achieve the same result?? or very close?? I am not into Metal music,..(heavy drums),..Which is what 99% of DFHS users do...lol; although I do use them where it is needed if the song applies. Mostly, I dont want to use the same kits as everyone else out there. ;)

sorry for my ignorance here.

Guest GTBannah
Hello,

I get much satisfaction from mixing drums, kick snare toms percussion, cymbols etc.. I construct my kits and patterns in Vip with objects,....... I sometimes send kick/snare; toms;cymbols; each to thier own buss channel,...then add Room sim Ambience for each,...then may send mix to aux with another Room sim . This may not be my exact method all the time,...but you get the jist of it,..,...I have fun mixing it to get it where it needs to be.

However I am looking at some vsti programs that are very interesting,..DFHS; BFD...Battery too. Other than the sound, what benifit will I achieve, ...will I loose that personal touch using a vsti instead of manually construction my percussion? I mean,...if I already have excellent percussion samples,...and use the room sim carefully, couldnt I achieve the same result?? or very close?? I am not into Metal music,..(heavy drums),..Which is what 99% of DFHS users do...lol; although I do use them where it is needed if the song applies. Mostly, I dont want to use the same kits as everyone else out there. ;)

sorry for my ignorance here.

(1) "I construct my kits and patterns in Vip with objects,......."

(2) ...will I loose that personal touch using a vsti instead of manually construction my percussion? I mean,...

My understanding of (1) is that you will be doing the same thing in (2)

What are these? "DFHS; BFD"

" Mostly, I dont want to use the same kits as everyone else out there."

That's the way to go.

"sorry for my ignorance here."

Don't apologise. We all have to learn. Nobody I know was born knowing all they needed to. ;)

Continue to have fun ....

Guest Guest

Maybe interesting: Sam 8 will include an analoge style drum computer (Robota Pro), developed by Fishphones plugins maker, Sascha Eversmeier. I´ve seen a version in one of the Magix consumer music products some weeks ago. Wow, this thing is absolute incredible! The sound quality is top notch and he told me in Frankfurt, the pro version will be much better. Virtual analog sound generation with waveforms, noise filter and all of these things. Can play samples too. Its fully midi driven, but includes also a classic 4 bars step sequencer with groove control. Morphs between the sounds. Can´t wait to see it.

Guest Guest
Maybe interesting: Sam 8 will include an analoge style drum computer (Robota Pro), developed by Fishphones plugins maker, Sascha Eversmeier. I´ve seen a version in one of the Magix consumer music products some weeks ago. Wow, this thing is absolute incredible! The sound quality is top notch and he told me in Frankfurt, the pro version will be much better. Virtual analog sound generation with waveforms, noise filter and all of these things. Can play samples too. Its fully midi driven, but includes also a classic 4 bars step sequencer with groove control. Morphs between the sounds. Can´t wait to see it.

Sounds cool,.....real cool. Morphing.....wow. I hope it does have samples capability,... Then,..I will be set. I just hope it is tested well.

DFHS = Drums From Hell Superior (Toontrack) vsti instrument

BFD = vsti drums (fxpansion)

These vsti's seem real nice. Both use actual recorded drums,...so they are as real as you can get without going into a studio,....I mean,...a REAL studio. ($$$$$$) But,...most of the users seem to be hard/punk/metal bands,...I havent heard any real music programmed with it yet.. ;);) (kidding)

DFHS comes with like 9 gigs of waves,. and 3 vsti's : Drum kit, a percussion kit and a yamaha cocktail kit. Of cource,...there are many snares, kicks etc.

For the money,...it seems like a great deal. I may get it because I have over 300 songs (ideas) from years ago on tape (cassette) that I want to re-record/release,....I think any one of these products would work for me,...and ...as long as it sounds better than my drum machine.....but as a bass player I feel a tad guilty using anything but a real drummer. I also feel ...that,...it also takes away from the rawness that a band would get from recording at thier local studio,....not to mention the experience. If my drummer friends found out I bought this they beat me up!! lol (kidding)

Hello,

I get much satisfaction from mixing drums, kick snare toms percussion, cymbols etc.. I construct my kits and patterns in Vip with objects,.......

Hey,

Constructing your patterns ?

A VSTi will give you the option to play your kits on a suitable controller (keyboard will do).

Wouldn't that be more satisfying ?

'Playing' usually is, isn't it ? ;);):lol:

Guest Guest

True. I do have drum machine,...and can program very well with it....but,...I hate messing with the midi data,....(dots) ,...if I need to change anything or adjust hits or whatnot,...it is much better, more accurate, and more flexible to use the audio (object) in a Vip. Mabye not faster (very close for certain programing),...but I am not in a race.

No matter how good they make virtual instruments sound they still are fake sounds and I wanna get them to audio/objects ASAP!!! I guess I have a guilty concience as a musician. Can they make a virtual instrument that sounds exactly like I plug my bass into a Peavey TNT amp, miced with a sm58, with half decent cables and my room sound? OR,..A decent player, with decent equipment thats recorded very well?? ...never....This Raw-ness can never be duplicated.

And I think it is it is stupid to attempt it. with real drums,...I can change thier sound by placing tape on the heads,...using a blanket to muffles the kick a bit,...or throw a tin can in the sealed floor tom for special fx,....and it is REAL.

Ask me why I would want that type sound? I have no idea,...just because!! Perfection is not all that it is cracked up to be.

Mike

....This Raw-ness can never be duplicated.

Yes, well said.

There's goodness in rawness.... ;)

Even more, if it's sushi... ;)

Just out of interest,

Actually, there are people re-recording electronic-sourced sound, through good amps in nice sounding rooms.

With careful mic placement it can give some 'alive' ambience . Not soaked in reverb, but more rrrrraw.

Guest Guest

I am 99% at the point of buying DFHS, but...I still get that old feeling ...like back in that day where nobody (most) didnt want anything to do with drum machines. I feel like I will be selling out so-to-speak,...even though my material will be much better sounding with DFHS, and possibly ALOT better than with a real drummer at a budget studio. ...but...mabye too good ??

But,.....I WAS going to get Battery and use samples anyway so,..I guess it be no big deal after all.