GigaStudio

Guest GTBannah

Guest GTBannah

Hi fellas,

I know that there is at least one user out there who has successfully coupled Samp/seq with GigaStudio.

Would you like to share your experiences with us wannabees?

GigaSampler version 3 looks exciting .... so does Samp/Seq vesrion 8 .... so does the VSL Pro Edition, though the word is that VSL's Brass aren't suitable for Funk/R&B/Calypso ....

Comments, anyone?

Guest Guest

I use Samp and Gigastudio 2.54. They work great together, with a few exceptions.

1. GS is not re-entrant. What I mean is that you MUST record the output of GS into a Samp track in order to mix it. You cannot simply bring it back in thru an AUX bus. I do this by first recording the GS track as a MIDI track. Then, play back the MIDI track and record it as audio into another track.

2. The samp MIDI volume control to GS occassionally does some really weird things. I cannot explain it better than that right now. It's almost like the volume control works on a per sample basis instead of a track basis.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

LeX

Guest GTBannah
I use Samp and Gigastudio 2.54. They work great together, with a few exceptions.

1. GS is not re-entrant. What I mean is that you MUST record the output of GS into a Samp track in order to mix it. You cannot simply bring it back in thru an AUX bus. I do this by first recording the GS track as a MIDI track. Then, play back the MIDI track and record it as audio into another track.

2. The samp MIDI volume control to GS occassionally does some really weird things. I cannot explain it better than that right now. It's almost like the volume control works on a per sample basis instead of a track basis.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

LeX

... you MUST record the output of GS into a Samp track in order to mix it ....

Can this be done "inside the computer", or do you have to pass the GIGA audio through a external mixer?

Hopefully, with Re-Wire, these little bumps will be ironed out ....

Thanx for the reponse ....

You do not have to go outside of the computer at all. No external patching whatsoever. Just assign the output of the giga channel to an input of samplitude. Piece of cake. Everything will even stay in perfect sync....at least for me it does. Success may vary with different sound cards. I have a Delta 1010 myself.

LeX

Guest GTBannah
You do not have to go outside of the computer at all. No external patching whatsoever. Just assign the output of the giga channel to an input of samplitude. Piece of cake. Everything will even stay in perfect sync....at least for me it does. Success may vary with different sound cards. I have a Delta 1010 myself.

LeX

Ahhhhh, yesss!! A DELTA 1010 user!

Thanx, Lex.

How does the virtual MIDI port situation work with GIGA?

The 1010 has one physical IN and OUT each, but GIGA talks about four (actually eight in version 3) ports.

Do those ports show up in your sequencer's MIDI page in the same way that the two outputs of my SoundBalster do?

I read/interpreted on another forum that you need a multi-port interface to take advantage of GIGA's multiports. :-(

Say it ain't so .... pleeeeeeeease .... but then, you have a 1010, right?

Actually, you should record you giga tracks in samp as MIDI first, unless you know you can play it perfect the first time through. I then tweek the MIDI tracks to perfect the performance, with the samp MIDI editor. Once that is done, I simply set up a samp (next) track to record the input of whatever output is selected within giga (settings/hardware routing). The track is then recorded as audio in that samp track. I would think this should work regardless of whatever sound card you are using.

Lex

Guest GTBannah
Actually, you should record you giga tracks in samp as MIDI first, unless you know you can play it perfect the first time through. I then tweek the MIDI tracks to perfect the performance, with the samp MIDI editor. Once that is done, I simply set up a samp (next) track to record the input of whatever output is selected within giga (settings/hardware routing). The track is then recorded as audio in that samp track. I would think this should work regardless of whatever sound card you are using.

Lex

;) Yep! That's how I do it wih KONTAKT in SONAR at the moment.

However, I don't record the audio. Once I've tweaked to satisfaction I "render" the mix, as in a video project. That way I don't have to commit until the very last minute.

I assume the same is possible with Samp/seq.

Thanx for the response ....

;) Anyone has thoughts on sample libraries that can handle Funk/R&B/Calypso?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest
However, I don't record the audio. Once I've tweaked to satisfaction I "render" the mix, as in a video project. That way I don't have to commit until the very last minute.

I assume the same is possible with Samp/seq.

I have not seen this function within Samp. I don't think rendering is possible (yet).

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Guest Guest_MusicMan
How does the virtual MIDI port situation work with GIGA?

The 1010 has one physical IN and OUT each, but GIGA talks about four (actually eight in version 3) ports.

Do those ports show up in your sequencer's MIDI page in the same way that the two outputs of my SoundBalster do?

I read/interpreted on another forum that you need a multi-port interface to take advantage of GIGA's multiports. :-(

Say it ain't so .... pleeeeeeeease .... but then, you have a 1010, right?

Sorry GT, I missed this post.

The Giga ports show up just like real MIDI ports within SAMP. To record, I set my source to the 1010 port, and the destination to a Giga port. It passes right through just as it should.

I don't know why you need a multiport MIDI interface whatsoever. I don't have one and have never seen a need for it, but then again, I only have one controller keyboard anyway (Ensoniq EPS).

Now, if your wanting to control Giga's four ports with four seperate controllers, that a horse of another color, and you WOULD need 4 MIDI hardware ports.

LeX

Guest GTBannah
You can render the track, they just call it "track freeze"

.... and then you master that stereo track, burn to CD, sync to Video, whatever you want, like normal?

Yeaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!! :P:D;) Such Bliss!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest GTBannah

Hey fellas,

Maybe Norman can answer this.

With the new "Re-Wire" support offered in Samp 8 and GS 3, will we be able to "freeze" GIGA tracks without recording them? Maybe too ambitious .... ;)

Guest William

I just found this from http://www.fx-max.com. Just really really cool!!

GIGA VST ADAPTER

Giga VST Adapter is a tool allowing to use Giga Studio within any VST compatible host application (Cubase, Nuendo, SONAR, Logic, etc.) as a conventional VST instrument.

Features:

# Seamless Giga Studio 2.54 or 3 integration into any VST 2 host

# No GSIF-compatible hardware is required

# Up to 128 MIDI channels for Giga Studio 3 or 64 MIDI channels for Giga Studio 2.54 (on all hosts except Logic)

# Up to 32 audio outputs

# Up to 192 KHz sample rates support

# 16, 24 and 32-bit depth support

# MIDI layering

# Support of external performance tool(s)

# Full FX Teleport integration (version 1.03 and higher)

There are two versions available....GigaVST and GigaTeleport. The Teleport version allows you to VST it from a completely different machine!

Has anyone here used this yet?

Bill

Guest Guest

Well, I downloaded the demo of it, and although it seems to work for about 5 seconds, it completely crashes and takes me immediatly to the computer's POST screen. WOW! Very hard crash!

Could someone else get the demo and try it please.

Guest Guest

GIGASTUDIO VST ADAPTER was the demo that makes me crash. I went the the http://www.fx-max.com site and downloaded the demo and all seems to work well for a few seconds, then KABOOM!

I see there is a forum at that site, I will post a bug report....wish I could give more details, but when your instantly setting on the POST screen, not much to report with those results.