Selecting the best parts from multiple takes ??

Guest Ivo

I play more with Samplitude demo and find Samplitude to be very tempting system with incredible range of opportunities. Before I make a final decision , there is still one thing I am pondering about : Recording few takes within a loop and combining the best parts of each take is very important process for me. It is easy to do in ProTools and even easier in Nuendo. In Samplitude it seems to be quite complicated task and I have still not come to the final point how to make it smoothly

I can record several takes within a loop

I can open Take Manager.

After selecting Statistics, there is suddenly a new window of as if a new project where I have to zoom everything to find just those takes.

They are finally there and I can play with them.

But how do I easily bring the final combination of those takes back to the original project ??

It seems to be generally quite complicated process (comparing to PT or Nuendo). Unless I miss something (I hope so)

The second minor thing is the function of the spacebar. Is there any adjustment that after stopping playback by pressing the spacebar the cursor does NOT return to the beginning of playback but stays where it stopped ? It seems that it is not possible and for that I have to press something else, which could be quite irritating for me.

Thanks for your advice

Ivo

Guest Stephen
Is there any adjustment that after stopping playback by pressing the spacebar the cursor does NOT return to the beginning of playback but stays where it stopped ?

Press "," - look into the playback menu for more options.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

"But how do I easily bring the final combination of those takes back to the original project ??"

To copy objects from one VIP to another... Open up both VIPs and hit the Enter key. This will line up both VIPs right on top of eachother, then you can press and hold the Ctrl key and drag the object from one VIP to the other. This is the same way you copy an object to another track, but you are dragging it to a different VIP instead of to a different track. You can also move multiple objects if you select them all at the same time and move them... Just to be on the safe side, I would group multiple objects together before you move them.

I also save the new VIP with all the different takes, so that I can go back to it at anytime to choose from different takes (I think once you close the VIP down, you can't use the "Static Verbose" anymore... But I'm not totally positive on that)...

At first this may seem kind of the long way of doing it (and I kind of thought so too), but at the same time it is a pretty cool feature because you can save all of your different takes in different VIP... Then by making different VIP's for each instrument, they act like storage areas for the takes you're not currently using! You can label the different VIP's as "Guitar Takes" and "Drum Takes" ect... and then you can quickly open the one you want to copy another take into your current VIP for editing without cluttering it up with lots of muted takes you're not using. Alhough, you could also move them all over at once if you do want to have them all available in your current VIP for faster reference... So however you're more comfortable working, there's several ways to go about it! ;)

"The second minor thing is the function of the spacebar. Is there any adjustment that after stopping playback by pressing the spacebar the cursor does NOT return to the beginning of playback but stays where it stopped ? It seems that it is not possible and for that I have to press something else, which could be quite irritating for me."

Yes it is something other than the space bar, but it is possible to change that in the keyboard shortcuts...

Options -> Program Preferences -> Edit Keyboard Shortcuts and Menu...

Then under the "Playback" heading change the shortcut for "Stop and go to current position" to the space bar and you'll be all set! :lol:

I have my keyboard tricked out to my liking (instead of the defaults they use) and I wanted to have both options available to me... So I made the space bar go back to the original starting point and I made the 0 key (on the number keypad) stop in the current position, since it's the next largest button on the bottom row of the keyboard... And that seems to work well for me! So as usual, Samp will conform to your working style! ;)

Hope that helps!

-tkr

Guest Guest_Tekker

Dang this is getting annoying... Is anyone else having problems loggin in?

When I log in I can't seem to reply to any of the posts!

-tkr