Aux. send automation

psi777

ok...that's easy enough.

But what if you only want to automate the send level from a track? Say if you have an aux. track for your reverb, and you need a burst of reverb at some point, but don't want to affect the other tracks using that same aux. track?

Guest Guest

Not sure if this will work,...but you could "group" the aux send with a blank tracks vol and automate the vol,....(you can use a knob too) Last time I tried,...it only worked..(I mean stayed grouped) if you grab the vol and move it,...letting it playback by itself didn't work (didn't group I mean) Know what I mean?

Guest Guest

Right,...it moves them both when you grab move vol but won't move the grouped aux with the vol automation on its own. So,..no send automation,...only the aux "tracks" vol/panning can be automated.

bummer...but thanks for the answers.

Yes, definately something I'd like to have seen....other apps do support this, and it can be a wonderful little tweak. But I guess it's a technique more used in electronic-based music, which probably isn't really Samp.'s target audience.

Guest Guest

"But what if you only want to automate the send level from a track? Say if you have an aux. track for your reverb, and you need a burst of reverb at some point, but don't want to affect the other tracks using that same aux. track? "

Well as you already said in a later post this type of req. is a spot effect which probably would warrant its own specific reverb setting, depth, contour, pre delay etc. and so would be better separated entirely from the reverb already set up on the Aux bus.

The easiest solution is just to select that part of the track needing the effect and create an object then insert the reverb to the object. That way you're not bothering with automation or aux busses and you can edit the spot reverb on the object to your hearts content until the fx sounds right in the mix.

The easiest solution is just to select that part of the track needing the effect and create an object then insert the reverb to the object. That way you're not bothering with automation or aux busses and you can edit the spot reverb on the object to your hearts content until the fx sounds right in the mix.

That is a decent work-around...I'd rather do it with automation curves, personally...but not a huge deal either way.

So what about automating everything else in Samp....EQs, Room Sim., etc...?

It's just not available? I guess you can always use third-party effects as VSTs, and automate those...but one of the reasons I'm considering Samp. is the quality of the built-in effects.

Sorry to keep harping on this. I've been using Nuendo, and I'm just used to being able to automate EVERYTHING.

Guest Guest_Tekker

That is a decent work-around...I'd rather do it with automation curves, personally...but not a huge deal either way.

Insert a new submix bus and change the playback device of the track that you want to "burst" to this submix bus. Then set the playback device of of the submix to the aux bus with your reverb. Then you can automate the submix bus with the volume curves, which will control the "send" level that is sent to the reverb individually from your other tracks.

As a side note, you can also route several tracks to the submix bus, if you want to "burst" more than one instrument at the same time.

Hope that helps! ;)

-tkr

Insert a new submix bus and change the playback device of the track that you want to "burst" to this submix bus. Then set the playback device of of the submix to the aux bus with your reverb. Then you can automate the submix bus with the volume curves, which will control the "send" level that is sent to the reverb individually from your other tracks.

That sounded cool....but it took me a little bit to understand that one. Guess I'm not used to the bussing being so wonderfully flexable, as it is in Samp.

That's actually a much better way to automate effects, though...isn't it?

If I could just get Samp. to play nicely with my Mackie control, I'd run out and buy a copy tomorrow.