Best Bite rate and Frequency for recording a mix

Guest johann

Guest johann

Hello,

I'm recording my mix using samplitude and I was wondering what the best frequency and bit rate I should set up in order to have the better weight / quality ratio.

Many thanks

Johann

Be sure to record everything in 24 bits. And also mix in 24 bit (with 32 bit interal precission). This gives your mix more clarity. It's easier to seperate the different instruments for the listener. Eventhough you will have to convert to 16 bit for CD. That's is when dithering enters the picture.

I'll pass on the frequency issue. Don't know really.

JF

Guest 32/32 is best

I've "allways" recorded in 32bit float internal and 32bit device communication.

I've used this at 44.1 and 88,2 mostly,...havent done much 48/96kHz.

I think 32 bit float @ 44.1 is fine for multitracking most things. But with softer music you may want bump up 88.2/96kHz.

Mike

Guest Guest

32 bit IS 24 bit with some extra bits for scaling the resolution above the complete dynamic range (float). The sound stays the same, if you don´t use destructive changes on the file.

Another point: 24 bit means, Samplitude has to convert it to 32 bit for processing with the audio float engine and this realtime process needs some CPU, but not much, so it´s an academic discussion, whats better 24 or 32.

Guest johann

Sorry guys, I should be more specific... By mix, I mean I'm a Dj who record his live mix in Wav (mainly House music). I have a 2h radio show every week. Even at 44,1/16bit, the file at the end is more than 1Go. It's the reason I asked for the better ratio size/Quality.

I have a sound card M-audio 24/96. I noticed a change in quality by moving to 24bit/48khz and I was wondering if I should stay here or if there is any advantages to go higher.

Also when it comes to go back to 44/16 if I want to burn my mix on cd, should I use the convert audio in samplitude with the basic functionalities?

Sorry I'm not a sound expert and my knowledge is limiting to record music, (lightly) edit tracks and apply basic vst effects.

Many thanks for talking time to answer

Johann

Guest Guest

Hi,

It's recommended from SAM DEV to use internal 32 bit float

24 bit and 44 khz is fine...but you have to think about the 48 khz

I personally find a big change in sound by going down for CD and resample from 48 to 44 khz even

with the highest setting in SAM

So I think the best is to use 44 or 88 khz

Regards

Guest Guest

again....

I forgot to say ..that the best results (specially if 32 bit is used) for resampling down to 44 is via the menü

FILE >KONVERT AUDIO> STORE AT FORMAT .....QUALITY

There you have higher setting then in the CREATE CD dialog

Please take care for my translation from german menü into english...there might be different names

Regards