Comparisons with Sonar 3, Cubase SX, and Logic

Guest David R

Guest David R

I presently have Cakewalk Sonar 3 Producer Edition, Cubase SX 1, and Logic Audio Platinum 4.7 and each has a niche at which they excel.

Sonar's roots are as a MIDI sequencer, and it is particularly good at it. Audio editing is a nightmare in Sonar. Plus, if you cut an audio track and have lots of empty space between clips, you can't "minimize" (Logic term) or "optimize" (Cubase term) the file, and end up with tons of wasted space.

Logic (on my Win98 partition from my triple-boot Win2K, Win98, Linux machine) is quite adept with audio. It does MIDI, and I really like it's instrument object management. However, eMagic ditched their Windows version of Logic. Logic has awesome audio mixing and routing capabilities, and it's Platinumverb is as good as many hardware-based reverbs.

I got into Cubase because Logic for PC is no longer supported. It is much better with audio than Sonar, but I often have MIDI problems. For example, an "armed" track will record and playback MIDI, but sometimes will not "thru" my live playing. There is also a bug where you can only sync from your first 16 sources in ASIO (see the problem), and Steinberg could not help.

Enter Samplitude. I just tried the 7.21 demo and it's quite something. I didn't try MIDI (so I can't attest to the problems mentioned by someone else), but based on the demo and the wmv demonstration, I think I'm interested. I really want to retire Logic, not only because I hate rebooting (Logic only runs on Win98), but because it will be one less app I have to remember how to use. Heck, I know many programming languages well, yet if I work (for example) in PHP for quite a while, I may inadvertedly put a $ in front of a variable in C (you get the analogy).

I also want to retire Sonar because I hate having to do MIDI in Sonar and exporting to SMF and importing in another system. One reason I love doing MIDI in Sonar is that device management is so easy. I can manually edit a text file which contains the patch names/numbers of my equipment. Just imagine copying/pasting a patch list from the manufacturer into a text file. Cubase really sucks with MIDI device manangement.

I also want to retire Cubase so I don't have to switch back and forth between products (and I'll recover a USB port from the hardware key).

If I move to Samplitude, will I be missing any features of the other products? What does Samplitude offer me that the others don't? I need some realy comparisons of these systems, which I have been unable to find.

Guest epytryga

David:

I'm a cross-over from SONAR...here are my thoughts:

The audio engine is amazing Sam....much better than sonar....ive done identical projects in both and Sam just plain sounds better...

You can't beat the audio editing features...in Sam...and the object editor is the best...not to mention the Room Sim...and the POWr dithering....

As far as vsti's go and midi....right now (version 7) you can do basic midi stuff...but it's not nearly as advanced as other apps...(no sound on sound midi recording...only velocity editing in the piano roll)...but it gets the job done...now version 8 which is coming to america in October I think....has a drum map editor..and much more advanced midi capabilities....multi lane contoller editing...etc....

now out board patches like the *.ins files in Sonar don't exist in Samplitude, AFAIK.....

It's a great app....and I'm pleased I switched....

should you have any questions specifically you can contact me via my website at http://www.pytryga/net/lessons.html

Kind Regards

Eric

Guest Guest_guest

If you do large project with more than 35 tracks with a lot of single objects sam is a pain in the ass.

You totally loose the overview and the graphics slows down as it's totall useless to work with it.IMO cubase nuendo are still much better for composing and arranging.Sonically there is no difference at all.Both progs have their strength but for me it's still much more comfortable to work with Nuendo.

Maybe one day they will get a professionell Graphicdesigner who will change the Gui so it's more comfortable to work with.

Guest Guest_Rustic Raf
the graphics slows down as it's totall useless to work with it.

Interesting.

I think I asked a question regarding this some time ago and the answer was that Sam is fast and responsive.

35 tracks on P4, 2.4 ghz fast HD,XP, system optimised for audio, would those 35 tracks with lot's of objects be still unrensponsive ?

Guest Guest
If you do large project with more than 35 tracks with a lot of single objects sam is a pain in the ass.

Not here. We are doing big broadcast and cut projects with up to 100 tracks, hundreds of objects, edits and crossfades. No problem with the speed or the overview. Maybe it´s a problem of configuration.

You totally loose the overview and the graphics slows down as it's totall useless to work with it.

Compared to Nuendo 2 with 30+ tracks it´runs very smooth.

Sonically there is no difference at all.

There is a lot difference, especially between the crappy SX/Nuendo effects and the internal Samplitude effects. Not to speak about POW-r and the subtle exciter distortion in the master out of SX/N2.

Maybe one day they will get a professionell Graphicdesigner who will change the Gui so it's more comfortable to work with.

Agree, SX/Nuendo look like toys. Cheap shareware border effects, no sense for balance and colors. Steinberg is well known for a long tradition of hobby designers. Remember the "I´ve started 3D Max for the first time and did some effect graphics for the first time period"? Compared to this, V8 looks very professional on the shots.