Well *poof* there goes my v.8 crossgrade plans lol

Hi all,

As I have read lately there has been speculation on crossgrades for the up-coming sam 8, which I myself aswell was hoping to take advantage of being a current Nuendo 2/SX user. I recently spoke with a red from Synthax who I explained I owned Nuendo 2 and was interested in a cross grade, but would I be eligable for a grace period update to ver.8 and was explained that I could take advantage of the cross grade to ver.7 but would then still need to pay for an upgrade at that point to version 8.

Now here is my issues with that ;) Were talking roughly US$450.00 for the cross grade, and the full purchase street value ranges roughly US$950.00, so off the bat we are half way to the full price, now I am purely guestimating here but I am guessing the upgrade will cost no less than lets say US$225.00 + 450.00 = 675.00, a grand savings of US$275.00 for crossgrading from a $1290.00 app such as Nuendo, not nearly the incentive I had hoped for :P

I do realize version 8 promises to bring lots of good things and new toys, but at getting close to 700 dollars we are nearing like 75-80% of the retail cost of the application. Now as far as the crossgrade for people to version 7 I think thats a very fair price and would be a good thing if you needed a pure audio editor, but all the people that will interested into giving sam a shot are going to come from version 8 as it boasts improved VST and midi implementation, only time will tell..

SO aside from my mini rant, it was more or less just dashing those of you like me who had hopes and dreams of getting into samplitude for around the $500.00 mark with out having to compromise with a lesser version.

Cheers!

Now here is my issues with that  Were talking roughly US$450.00 for the cross grade, and the full purchase street value ranges roughly US$950.00, so off the bat we are half way to the full price, now I am purely guestimating here but I am guessing the upgrade will cost no less than lets say US$225.00 + 450.00 = 675.00, a grand savings of US$275.00 for crossgrading from a $1290.00 app such as Nuendo, not nearly the incentive I had hoped for

What?

What?

Exactlly what did you not understand, I thought my explanation was very clear for "any" serious user who understands pricing of pro applications, if you did not let me try and make my sentiments a bit more simplistic to fit your needs.

I had said that the Cross grade price to Samplitude Pro ver.7 cost $450.00 from formentioned titles, now, it appears that if you purchase a cross grade to version 7 now you are not entitled to a grace period upgrade to version 8, but instead will again have to shell out more money to get you from version 7 to 8, is that clear enough? The value of saving for taking the cross grade to Samplitude is not enough to be competitive with other more largely know and sold applications, if this still leaves you with a blank stare on your face thinking "what?" then you may want to just bypass this thread entirely ;)

On a more serior note with less sarcasm, why bother to reply to the thread if you do not wish to offer anything of value to it, I would hope this community would be professional in all manners regarding potential buyers of the application.

Cheers!

Guest mike harper
Hi all,

As I have read lately there has been speculation on crossgrades for the up-coming sam 8, which I myself aswell was hoping to take advantage of being a current Nuendo 2/SX user. I recently spoke with a red from Synthax who I explained I owned Nuendo 2 and was interested in a cross grade, but would I be eligable for a grace period update to ver.8 and was explained that I could take advantage of the cross grade to ver.7 but would then still need to pay for an upgrade at that point to version 8.

Now here is my issues with that ;) Were talking roughly US$450.00 for the cross grade, and the full purchase street value ranges roughly US$950.00, so off the bat we are half way to the full price, now I am purely guestimating here but I am guessing the upgrade will cost no less than lets say US$225.00 + 450.00 = 675.00, a grand savings of US$275.00 for crossgrading from a $1290.00 app such as Nuendo, not nearly the incentive I had hoped for :P

I do realize version 8 promises to bring lots of good things and new toys, but at getting close to 700 dollars we are nearing like 75-80% of the retail cost of the application. Now as far as the crossgrade for people to version 7 I think thats a very fair price and would be a good thing if you needed a pure audio editor, but all the people that will interested into giving sam a shot are going to come from version 8 as it boasts improved VST and midi implementation, only time will tell..

SO aside from my mini rant, it was more or less just dashing those of you like me who had hopes and dreams of getting into samplitude for around the $500.00 mark with out having to compromise with a lesser version.

Cheers!

I am purely guestimating here but I am guessing the upgrade will cost no less than lets say US$225.00

any idea of what the price will be i would think it would be cheaper 100 -150 ish??

btw i am looking to x grade too

Guest Bummi
The value of saving for taking the cross grade to Samplitude is not enough to be competitive with other more largely know and sold applications,

Really? Wich competive application has a better value of saving? Can I buy or switch to Pyramix or Pro Tools for this price? Don´t forget the money for a second application, needed for burning production masters, wich is possible in Samplitude.

Guest Guest
I would hope this community would be professional in all manners regarding potential buyers of the application.

Cheers!

hi basic pitch,

what ...is a professional behavior your asking for ??

@Bummi and Mike

the german upgrade from V7 pro to V8 pro is incl.Tax 249,00 €

Regards

The professional manner I was referring to was a bit out of annoyance from the what comment.

I am asking fair and honest questions from a serious stand point, I am very interested in samplitude, and am just voicing concerns and questions on the forum since we are unable to access the closed portions of the forums for registered users. Answering a questions from an unregistered person and saying one single word ala " What? " was sort of just bait if you know where I am coming from. As said I am quite interested in a cross grade but as I figured and it seems its actually more - EUR$249.00 = USD$305.105 being that the Euro is so strong at the moment, so now its even higher than expected, your talking USD$450.00 + $305.105 a total of USD$755.105 before shipping on a $950.00 application is only a crossgrade savings value of USD$194.895.

So to cross grade from Nuendo I save 194.89 basically from buying the full retain box as a new customer, thats not exactly a large incentive, and as far as the PT argument that does not apply as that requires TDM hardware, im talking software to software, exluding LE as thats not exactly in competition in this level range of application. As far as the Pyramix that also uses DSP hardware so that again does not apply, there is a big differece between using TDM/DSP hardware than purely software, I myself use a UAD, Powercore, Creamware ScopePro (15 DSP) cards and that cost plenty but it has nothing to do with the host sequencer ;)

Lets compare apples to apples here, The level range of worthy applications of the major names would be Nuendo, Samplitude, Logic Pro (though this is mac only but crossgrade costs and values apply just the same). I am sure there are others but thats on the top of my head right now.

Anyways, I am not here to start an argument, I am just voicing a concern from a potential buyer, that the cross grade value does not seem correct in its current state atleast from my understanding from my conversation with a representative of Synthax..

I am still interested in finding a feasable way to be able to get into V8 when it becomes available, but I would need a larged saving than 194.89 to make the transition worth while from Nuendo, though these are my personal views, YMMV.

Cheers!

Guest GTBannah

Hey, Basic pitch,

I see your point about the "minimal": savings on the crossgrade but, I imagine that, version 7 users will get a better deal because they are patr of the Samplitude/Sequoia family, so to speak.

In addition to that, Sam/Seq is a fully comprehensive package including

.... (basic) MIDI, full audio, mastering, CD burning .... all in the same application .... not to mention ProSumer video.

So, I think that should answer your queries about the price.

Having said that, I think you're right about comparing apples and oranges because, although Samp/Seq is software, it is of a different type .... ;)

Guest Guest
Lets compare apples to apples here, The level range of worthy applications of the major names would be Nuendo, Samplitude, Logic Pro (though this is mac only but crossgrade costs and values apply just the same).

You can´t really compare a midi sequencer with some audio, like Nuendo or Logic Pro, to an audio program wich burns CD and DVD-A in V8, and audio editing, wich is superior compared with other apps. Not speaking about the outstanding sound and the first class effects in Samplitude. Anyway, wait some weeks and crossgrade directly to V8, and the price looks better. But even the list price is a bargain for such an app.

regards

Guest Guest

You can´t compare it to Pro Tools, but Pro Tools will loose in nearly every aspect. I remember some shocked Pro Tools user: "This software can really DO THAT?".

*nod*

The only reason I was making the comparison of Sam to Nuendo/Logic is that in a case like logic with post features many file type import/exports, audi editing and though now Nuendo 2.x has the midi features of CUbase it still is there flagship audio editor. It would appear from an outside perspective the reason Sam 8 is introducing much more extensive midi capabilties is because now that emapple is no longer supporting for the PC here is a perfect opportunity for Emagix to try and garner a larger userbase and become a real competitor in the market for the all round app for both the composer and the editor.

That is basically the reason I am looking to make the move, in hopes, v.8 will allow me the composition tools I need to construct my music as well as giving me the editing features I would like to have, as far as redbook goes this is surely a nice feature for many people, for me I already own wavelab so had I not had that app sams cd burning would be even greater of value for me.

Just more thoughts ;)

Cheers!

Guest Guest

I´ve seen v8 on the AES. It´s a big step in midi, but it´s of course not a midi sequencer, like Logic, Sonar or Cubase. But they go the right way. The midi editor and the drum editor are very good and if they continue with this speed, Samplitude will be a serious composition tool soon.

Guest Guest

The bottom line for me is this...

This stuff is cheap compaired to probably any other professional piece of equipment in the audio world...

Complaining about price just doesn't make sense to me.

If you are used to buying video games and pizza, yes... it is expensive.

If you are a professional in the audio field, this is peanuts. Especially considering you are buying several compressors, tons of verbs and eq's, a mixer, a multi-track recorder, and editor, a mastering station with tools for analyzing audio, etc, etc...

Regards,

Brock

Hi again,

While I cam certainly agree with you that in the end we are not talking about a large sum of money for what you get, but I am sort of viewing this from a deifferent perspective " The cross grade user " perspective. Clearly Emagix offers a cross grade to try and get users to move to they're software and by doing so they offer them a break on the retain price of application, its the incentive to make the switch obviously.

Now with out looking at this from a new user perspective and more from the corssgraders perspective you have to consider the following, how much did the user spend on his current application, what tools does this new application offer that the current does not to make the user want to switch, which additional tools does the user have etc etc.

And while I can agree for most users buying a new app that comes with compressors and convolusion verbs and such is very attractive for most people who are involved in this profession I would imagine will already have a slew of reverbs, compressors, EQs and such to name a few: I myself as I states Run a Lynx Two & a Creamware Scope Pro, a 15 DSP card lightpiped which has DSP mixers, synths, comps, verbs, vocoders, delays, filters, samplers and much more of VERY high quality that is routed via asio drivers from the internal softwarss mixer, as far as compression goes I use UAD-1s from there 1176's and LA2A's as these sound spectacular and reduce strain on the CPU, for reverbs and other effects I use a TC Powercore, for EQs and Dynamics I ise Sony plugs and SPL devices.

Then when you get into mastering tools I use Wavelab which is capable of redbook burning as well as the main basis of the tool being a wave editor mastering suit. So just as a small background from the outside perspective, now for me the attractive part of samplitude is the audio editing features, quick/simple yet deep at the same time and with the version 8 changes will improve this suites desirability by a whole more.

I use Nuendo 2 as I have said as a compositional tool and also my audio editior and it does a pretty fine job of it at the same time, but I do like how Samplitudes edits are clear and easy, very upfront, to be honest for me and I am sure many other users, the little extras like the reverbs and compressors im sure are a nice addition but not going to sell me, I look for the apps main features, flexibility, stablity and the company themselfs, which is another point I am getting at, I like Nuendo but dislike Stienberg, but thats a personal thing ;)

Ahh well, hopefully in the end things will work out.

Cheers!

Guest Guest
Now with out looking at this from a new user perspective and more from the corssgraders perspective you have to consider the following, how much did the user spend on his current application, what tools does this new application offer that the current does not to make the user want to switch, which additional tools does the user have etc etc.

Yes, but whats your conclusion? Your not satisfied with the things Samplitude is offering to you as a crossgrader? You will be more pleased, if the crossgrade price will be lower?

Well,

I can not say with 100% certainty since V8 is not available yet and I do not know what is contained, but I am quite happy with the propsed feature set of samplitude, I just wish the crossgrade was not going to cost almost the full value of a new retail purchase, my gripe is simple, I can not say that I will be satisfied with samplitude once I purcahse the application since they are only on v7 and missing the compositional tools featured in v8, but I am willing to take that change.

Now, I have a good amount of money invested in my current host Nuendo 2, I am considering a cross grade and feel that saving 194.00 or what ever it was is enough incentive to make the cross grade worth while, I feel a little better in the savings department would go a long ways for me personally and as I have said I understand a 1000.00 for the application is small change in the gran scheeme of things but, to be honest this is more of am impulse buy at this stage, I like what I hear about sam so I wanna give it a try, but I dont want to have (2) full paid apps, I just had hoped the cross grade would be more inline with other apps of similar value.

I guess thats about as honest as I can get, I think you get alot for your money, but lets look at it like this, Emagix wants more customers as all companies do, they offer a criss grade which is an incentive to get users from other apps to switch to samplitude, this they hope for obviously as they want a larger share of the pro audio PC market, but they do not give enough incentive for an impulse crossgrade, to save 194.00 is just not enough, that to me seems like paying full boat.

Ahh well its there program and there policy, not like they are gonna change it for me heh, ill prob just wait till v8 comes out see if they put up a demo and hope they offer a reasonable crossgrade tro 8 at that time. It would be silly for me to crossgrade to version 7 right now and not pay the upgrade to 8 if that makes sense, so I will just have to wait and see as said.

Cheers!

Guest Guest

Well, I think, the upgrade is free, if you buy V7 now. Ask the Synthax people, maybe they know it. If the price is to high for you, check the Sam for rent offer - all updates in 2 years for free. Btw, the german version is out, you can see some nice screenshots and prices at samplitude.de.

In my original post you must have missed it,

I said I spoke with a Synthax rep and the upgrade to version 8 is "not" free, you can crossgrade for 450.00 to ver.7 then pay additional for the upgrade to ver.8, it appears the upgrade from 7 to 8 cost almost as much as the crossgrade does as I have explained many times in this thread heh.

Like I said before Ahhwell, the price of the application is not the problem, its the price of the crossgrade+upgrade that does =) Its like they are saying, " Hey sure come aboard the samplitude familly for a reasonable crosgrade price, but theres a catchg, if ya want to have the latest version you'll have to pay us again to get it, but for now sure, buy our old code! '. with a little kidding around of course ;)

Cheers!

Guest Guest

I remeber, there was a thread, somebody says, v8 is free, if you buy v7 now. Not for the crossgrade? Anyway, if you wait some weeks or months, you can crossgrade directly to v8.

Guest cmahood
I remeber, there was a thread, somebody says, v8 is free, if you buy v7 now. Not for the crossgrade? Anyway, if you wait some weeks or months, you can crossgrade directly to v8.

Yes! How simple! Just wait until v8 is out and crossgrade to that! Yes!