Samplitude Workflow

Guest Chris

Guest Chris

I'm considering purchasing either Samplitude or Tracktion. I know the two applications may be hard to compare as far as features and price, but the main thing I am interested in is workflow. I'm primarily a songwriter and like to have the ability to lay down my ideas as fast as possible. Tracktion is touted as having the simplest and quickest workflow around. How does it compare to Samplitude? Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Guest Guest

I have a Samplitude for years and also have Tracktion demo,... As a musician / writer like yourself,... I had Cakewalk/cubase then I moved to Samplitude.

I am too technical now,...I mean,..I learned/know things that a songwriter,.. really shouldn't,...or doesnt need to know. And I wasted ALOT of my creative time learning new things that,...for scratch tracks,..and rough mixes of tunes I didnt need to know. But,...now that I DO know these things,...I need to use a program that will supply my "new" needs. (That is Samplitude, I cannot leave object based mixing)

There are many things in Samplitude that you may want/need And V8 is supposed to be a bit more easy to learn with the new manual and all.

However,...using Traction for a bit,...makes me wish sometimes I never Learned all that tech stuff that is inevidable with most Daw softwares.

Traction is a very simple and easy to use and straght foward program and will get the job done as will Samplitude (but better and with cdburning) Samp runs loops around traction as a daw station.

Mabye thing of getting Traction and Magix Music Studio Deluxe (about same price) or just use a Samp demo till you feel you like it.

In the nutshell,...you may never use some of the features in samp,...there are so many ways to do things,...and this is great for different work flows. Amd PRO editing, mixing,...

If you think your studio and your skills (recording/editing/equipment) will improve and increase,...then I'd say Samplitude,...it's an investment. But if you just making simple tunes,...go Tracktion.

Guest Kraznet

All these programs have a learning curve and the important thing is to be able to achieve the fastest route from the initial musical idea to getting it recorded without being sidetracked by the software intricacies and thus losing the inspiration. I am presently a Logic PC user and many people think it has a steep learning curve but I spent many many late nights dedicating myself to learning Logic until it became a transparent part of the Songwriting and Production process. In my mind Samplitude is the only real alternative especially since the midi enhancements in V8 . I have been trying out the V7 demo and it looks promising but I have established working habits and I know if/when I make the jump I will have to adapt my workflow.

You haven't said if you have any previous experience using music software...if this is a new venture you will be starting with a clean slate which may be an advantage. Another thing is the price difference. Samplitude is considerably more expensive than Tracktion so you will be making a financial commitment as well. I have looked at the Tracktion demo but it didn't really grab me and I uninstalled it pretty quickly but with the Samplitude demo I keep coming back to it, checking out the features, familiarizing myself with the interface and posting the occasional question here (Norman has been very helpful) and I really believe V8 will be the breakthrough version (although many users will say it is the best already). OK I’m biased but what ever you choose be prepared to spend time getting up to speed and if possible find someone who is familiar with the DAW you choose who can help you. Ultimately workflow comes from familiarity and practice just like playing guitar or keyboards.

Good luck

Kraznet

Thanks for your replies. I checked out Magix Music Studio Deluxe....looks just like Samplitude! I wonder if Samplitude 8 will include all the different synths, drum machines and effects that are included in Music Studio Deluxe? I still think I'll go with Samp. 8 but I'm just curious... It would be cool to have a few more of those fun little toys!

Chris

I've been using Samp v7 demo and I think its pretty good in terms of workflow. What I like about the program is that it seem set up well for throwing ideas together. I'm not a studio tech. and I don't think you need to be to use this program. I'm a composer and instrumentalist so I want the best of both worlds. I want to be able to do the techinical stuff and also throw together rough song ideas and then clean them up.

I looked into Sonar and the two are really very similar except Samp actually seemed very easy (maybe easier) for me. Sonar seems to be very heavy on the "eye candy" where Samp is plain- which may be a good thing. I have to try out Sonar for at least a few weeks yet though. Visually Sonar may look "too good" for me- its almost a distraction whereas Samp is like a plain machine. I like the way Sonar allows clips to become loops but then I figured out looping on Samp and think its just as good. Maybe Sonar does "flow" better but I can't say yet.

All the DAWs are converging on a very simialr set of features I think it all comes down to what you feel the most comfortable with. I think if you're even moderately serious about music none of the lesser programs will last very long for you.

One o fthe things that bugs me about Samp is it could be firmed up graphically and a little less slippery when selecting things. Maybe they did that in v8, but the other progs are a little better in this area.

I tried cubase and it seemed a little on the dull and unfriendly side. Logic seemed a lot better than I imagined but something about the graphics kind of puts me off. It seems like a very easy flowing program. SAW studio was advertised that way but I don;t like the feel and the baroque look. I know SAW is good under the hood but thats not the only thing to consder.

If they have a lot of new skins and improved graphics and midi for v8 I'll probably go for Samp.