Ex Cubase User needs help migrating to Samplitude

Guest Sam

Hi, being an ex Cubase user for 10+ years, I've finally made the decision to have a go at leaping over to Samplitude...Why? well i i've always hated the way VST handles audio and although i love the midi and VSTi side of it I basically feel like a change (challenge) and can't afford Pro tools ;)

I'm currently evaluating the demo version (couple of weeks now) to see if it will do what i want it to do but am running into a couple of brick walls. Workflow and concepts in Samplitude are vastly different from cubase, although from an audio mixing and engineering point of view i'm really happy with it and audio-wise amd having a great time!

My past projects primarily consist of various live pre-recorded stuff, polished over with some basic VSTi instrumentation and a few effects here and there. My main concern is the VST side of Samplitude. I don't know if some of my questions are because i'm evaluating a demo version of Samplitude or that i'm trying to get it do VSTi stuff how i do in cubase, but if not too much to ask, could someone please answer these questions. Unfortunatly you've got to buy the software before you get into the real forums...Ouch!!! could be costly if it doesn't do what I want it to with VST stuff.

1. How di i apply Mixer EQ and Samplitudes own INSERT effects on VSTi' tracks. (observations - LED meters in Master Volume Fader or submix buss faders don't light-up / or include volume levels for VSTi instruments, but volume change and pan is possible? EQ has been enabled in routing option window, seems to make no difference anyway, EQ works on all standard audio .wav events though)

2. The installed DirectX / VST Plugins window doesn't show up VST instruments, says that no VST plugins were found despite being able to assign a vst instrument to a track and play that instrument? (observation: Path to VST plugins directory is correct! Some DirectX wrapped instruments appear in DirectX plugins)

Many thanks

Sam

What is the point of this 'newcomer' forum? At most i've seen 3 members in it at any one time, they're probably just as lost and new as i to Samplitude with only what seems a sporadic moderator / developer contributing now and then if you're lucky!

Why can't demo users at least be permitted to 'browse only' the dedicated forums? I just need some more information so i can decide on buying this software or not. I'm shit poor because all my money goes back into making music anyway, i can't just swipe the old credit card and hope it will absorb the cost of me buying software not fit for purpose because i didn't evaluate it fully due to lack of information on the developers website! Shit i might as well download cracked versions if this be the case and then at least i can evaluate it fully and get the tutorials, manual etc to boot!

I totally understand that those posting to the 'real' forums are for 'paid up' members and respect that magix don't wan't a load of cracked Samplitude users polluting the forums like they do on steinberg.net which ruins it, but i need information and it ain't gonna be in a bloody newcomer forum!

Sam

Guest Kraznet
How do i apply Mixer EQ and Samplitudes own INSERT effects on VSTi' tracks. (observations - LED meters in Master Volume Fader or submix buss faders don't light-up / or include volume levels for VSTi instruments, but volume change and pan is possible? EQ has been enabled in routing option window, seems to make no difference anyway, EQ works on all standard audio .wav events though)

Hi Sam,

I'm in a similar position to you but thinking of changing from Logic to Samplitude V8 when it comes out . In answer to your question try this .Go to Options > System/Audio and under Audio Devices select Software FX Monitoring from the Monitoring Mode drop down list . Now when you go the Vsti mixer channel you should be able to hear the FX whilst recording and playing back. I think thats the solution as I just tried it out ;) . Also you can try the alt.sekd newsgroup at news.sekd.com . There are alot of users there who are willing to help you with any questions . Although this newcomers board is can be helpful sometimes as well .

Good luck

Kraznet

Thanks Kraznet,

Man all these options are just too much sometimes! Setting Software fx monitoring at least let me hear EQ and effect being processed live to the VSTi's. It's a shame the LED meters are really only showing MIDI Velocity rather than Volume though.

Thanks for the newsgroup i'll give it a go

Cheers

Sam

the monitoring handling in samplitude sucks......

I think that cubase sx is the better one for creative vst...midi .....

I mainly use sam for all this audio stuff.....

but we will see if v.8 can make a jump foreward