Mix with Clip?

Guest Thomas

Dear all,

As my locail retailer was not able to answer this question during a demo, I take a chance on this forum.

Imagine I want to mix a multitrack clip with a multitrack take, meaning I want to add, track by track, the content of this clip with the take. I understand SEQUOIA can do this in a wave project [mix with clip function] but not in Virtual project mode. Obviously, I'd like to keep my wave files intact which seems not compatible with the wave project mode.

Could you please help on the matter?

Thanks & kind regards,

Thomas

SEQUENZA Studio

thomas@sequenza.fr

Maybe I should mention that I am mainly doing acoustic recordings (classical, jazz, ethnic music) with several mics on stage as opposed to a studio approach where all instruments are recorded on separate tracks. What I meant by 'multitrack take' is that each take encompasses all tracks. Same applies for the 'multitrack clip' thing. Hope this is more clear now (excuse my French!).

Cheers,

Thomas

I still don´t get it, what you want to do. You record a multitrack project with different instruments on different tracks, now you want to mix (?) it with ...? Transfer the tracks to your mix project, drag&drop timelocked objects (CTRL key) to another project ...

Sequoia 8 has a clipstore, wich holds all project files and parts of objects (clips), but I think, you can do reach your destination also in Samplitude, like most people.

Guest Guest_Fifthcircle

I'm not completely sure what you are getting at but both Samplitude and Sequoia can do multitrack editing. Sequoia's 4-point editing is set up such that it is very easy to do (I do 24 track edits as easily as 2 track edits all the time in Sequoia). Samplitude can do similar work, but you need to set up multiple VIPs to get the same kind of functionality as you get built into Sequoia.

--Ben

Benjamin Maas

Fifth Circle Audio

Los Angeles, CA

http://www.fifthcircle.com

OK, I'll try to make myself clear and let's forget the multitrack thing for a minute..

Imagine I create a VIP project with a single wave track and suppose I have a small clip that I would like to mix (0dB gain) with this track.

One way to do it is to create a second wave track, place the clip at the correct timecode and mix both tracks. So far so good. But I don't want to do that, as it doubles the number of tracks (fine for 1 track, less interesting for my 16-tracks projects).

My question would be: is it possible to mix the clip WITHIN the same wave track? In fact I'd like to see the clip waveform superimposed to the main track waveform. I was told this is the case in wave project mode (mix with clip function), but I want to do it in Virtual project mode and leave my original wave files intact.

Or maybe you can think of a more elegant approach?

Besides, I was really convinced by the 4-points cut, hence my choice for Sequoia (purchase planned in October).

Hope this makes more sense now.

Your help is very appreciated,

Cheers,

Thomas

Hi Thomas ;)

Yes, you can do it non-destructively...

Step by step:

-Insert the smaller clip over the big. This will split the bigger clip in to sections/objects.

-Grab the lower left handle of the right object (from the big clip) and drag it to the left until it closes the gap and covers the small clip.

-Open the xfade editor and check the asymmetric mode, xfade length=0 samples. Both clips will play and both waveforms are visible.

If you set the Global xfade settings to asymmetric mode and xfade length to 0 samples before you start working with the VIP you only

have to insert and drag.

Stereo and mono files can be mixed, you can assign different fx to the various clips and everything is delay compensated if using fx

that require extra buffers.

Regards,

Tobben

Guest Guest_Tekker

That seems like a lot of work to me, why not just keep them on separate tracks so you can have more control over each object? When you drag two objects over the top of each other, then you can only select the object that's on top. So if you need to make changes to the bottom object, you'll have to move the one on top out of the way in order to be able to select the bottom clip.

If you have a large number of tracks in your project, then you can also minimize the two tracks so that they don't take up as much space in your main VIP window.

-tkr

When you drag two objects over the top of each other, then you can only select the object that's on top. So if you need to make changes to the bottom object, you'll have to move the one on top out of the way in order to be able to select the bottom clip.

That's not correct...

You can use the "Select next/previous object" commands or the next/previous buttons in the Object Editor to

navigate between the various objects regardless of their placement. No need to move the object(s) once they're inserted.

One can always debate whether it's easier to have clips on separate tracks vs the stacked clip approach... I guess

that's a personal preference. Personally I mostly use the stacked clips approach for mastering purposes. (Songs that overlaps

as an example) I also use the asymmetric xfade mode for other tasks...i.e adding fx to small parts of a track.

Lots of possibilities here..Samplitude only use cpu when plugins/objects are actually playing and PDC works at object level

which is still unique as far as I know.

Regards,

Tobben

Guest Guest_Tekker
You can use the "Select next/previous object" commands or the next/previous buttons in the Object Editor to

navigate between the various objects regardless of their placement. No need to move the object(s) once they're inserted.

Wow, right on! I'll have to set that up as a keyboard shortcut so I can use that! These Samplitude guys thought of everything! B)

-tkr