Outboard effects and latency

Carl Mateo

Hey Guest,

How can I search the registered user's forum when I am not a registered user? I gave it a shot, you need to be a registered user unless I am missing something. I am using the demo and considering purchasing Samplitude.

Do you remember anything that was discussed about using outboard gear. I know it is done, just want to know how folks do it in Samp.

Carl

Guest GTBannah

Hey Carl,

I assuime that by outboard effects you mean hardware, right? If that's the case then latency wouldn't be an issue. B)

I imagine you would do the normal hook-up, like in the "pre-historic" days of mixers and reverb units. :D

hi GT,

Thanks for the reply. Latency is definitely an issue when using external hardware like effects. Not so pre historic really... not yet anyways. Cubase SX3 has automatic delay compensation not only for plug ins but for external effects as well. In SX3 the external effect is used like another plug in. Sounds Pretty nice. I am wondering how it is dealt with in Samp.

Carl

Guest GTBannah
hi GT,

Latency is definitely an issue when using external hardware like effects.

Carl

Hmm! This is news to me.

I "grew up" with the Cakewalk family, using Ensoniq DP4s and Alesis reverbs .... no problem ....

Maybe I don't understand you .... B)

hi GT,

Carl

Hmm! This is news to me.

I don't think that Carl is using a mixer to send to the outboard gear; I think he is using the aux sends in the software to an output on his soundcard - this will cause latency issues during recording...

I must say though, that this is really a hardware issue, and I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how Cubase can have compensation for outboard gear. Could you please explain, Carl?

Guest GTBannah
hi GT,

Carl

Hmm! This is news to me.

I don't think that Carl is using a mixer to send to the outboard gear; I think he is using the aux sends in the software to an output on his soundcard - this will cause latency issues during recording...

I must say though, that this is really a hardware issue, and I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how Cubase can have compensation for outboard gear. Could you please explain, Carl?

O.K. I'm with you now.

Thanx for the explanation. B)

HEy,

i have been out of town and off line a few days...

Sorry for any confusion GT, Yes I am talking about mixing in the box... running a signal out from "Samp" thru my soundcard into outboard effects and back into the soundcard and recording either a new mixed track with effects or a separate effects track.

My studio is undergoing renovations right now and all of my gear is packed away so I cannot try this and i am just trying to educate myself as to how Samp would work in my situation. I know that in the past people who have done this in Samp or other apps often have to synch up the effects track after the fact.

I am simply searching for tha app that suits me best. I have been using a stand alone recorder and am adding a PC to my system.

Bigbean... I can't explain how they are doing it but here is a quote from the new features list for Cubase SX3:

"External FX Plugins allow for direct integration of external hardware effects processors into the VST audio mixer. Use your favorite outboard gear just like plugins – including automatic delay compensation." Somehow Cubase must measure the latency of the signal coming back through the soundcard and compensate for the delay.

Thanks for the replies,

Carl

Carl,

Measure the latency going out and back in through your converters. You'll of course only have to do this once.

Insert a tiny plugin of some sort (preferrable one without any latency) without using its effect, on the track to be sent to the outboard. Manually enter the number of samples latency you measured into this plugin ("Force Latency" in the routing dialog).

Haven't tried this, but it should work...

• 3 weeks later...

hi! Logic5 has a simple I/O plugin, which lets you choose out and in channels of your audio interface. It has "plugin delay compensation" on audio tracks and buses. I think compensation is tied to buffer settings of your soundcard. For example it lets me use my hardware analog compressors and spdif-wired lexicon mpx-1 just as software plugins. With no latency.

Can this be done in Sam8? It´s one of my favourite functions in Logic.

terveisin, olli