recording loop possible?

Guest tom

HI!

Is it possible to make a loop and record inside of it. So that - if I record 1minute in a 10seconds-cycle - I'll have 6 "virtual tracks" or even real tracks after that.

I use logic on PC now. But because of the ending with Logic 5.x I think about buying Samplitude. A friend of mine told me now it is not possible to record in such a cycle. I can't believe this. Is it true or not?

kind regards

Tom

Hi Tom ,

I'm the same position as you (abandoned Logic PC user) and I'm interested in Samplitude . From what I can tell from trying the demo you can loop/cycle record but its not as intuitive or as comfortable as Logic. When you've finished recording you have to open something called the "Take Manger" which actually opens in seperate VIP or separate arrange page in Logic speak . In this seperate VIP you can audition the takes and then add the ones you like to the song your working on .The disadvantage of this is that you can't audition the parts within the context of song which is a very limiting . Rumour has it that things will be improved in V8 or a sub release . I hope this is true as I also do alot of recording using the Logic cycle method and from my limited experience with the Samp 7.2 demo this way of working leaves a lot to be desired .

Regards

Kraznet

Guest Guest_Tekker
When you've finished recording you have to open something called the "Take Manger" which actually opens in seperate VIP or separate arrange page in Logic speak . In this seperate VIP you can audition the takes and then add the ones you like to the song your working on .The disadvantage of this is that you can't audition the parts within the context of song which is a very limiting.

From the new VIP you can move all the files back into the original project:

1) Create an empty track in the main project VIP for each track that is in the take manager.

2) Press the enter key - this arranges the project windows so that one is above the other.

3) Press and hold the shift key - this keeps the tracks from moving horizontally while you move the object to a new track (or from one VIP to another VIP).

3.5) At the same time press and hold the ctrl key (which creates a copy of the selected object)

4) While still holding both the shift and ctrl keys down, drag the objects from the "take manager" created VIP into your normal project VIP.

Not a very intuitive way to do this, but it's a work around that works! lol And once you get it down, it can be done very quickly. Hopefully in version 8 they will come out with a better fix for this, but I also hope it's an "add-on" instead of a replacement. Because with this current setup, you can use the separate VIP for saving different takes without cluttering up the main VIP window with all the takes that are not in use.

-tkr

Hi, thanks for the help.

Today I was in a friends studio and had some minutes to try out samplitude (7.22 ?!).

I was not even able to record inside of a loop. It was possible to play back a loop, but samp. recorded over its end-marker. And so I had just one take and not a lot of takes with the lenght of the loop.

Maybe I should download the demo for myself to try out some days (or weeks B) ) but having time is not my strengthens.

I can't sleep anymore without knowing this. :D So would you help me out of this?

Do you have any other ideas what a logic user, willing to buy samplitude, could be interrested in?

kind regards

Tom

This can be done! Set up your punch markers where you want them. I set a range over that, say 2 bar before and after the punch marker. In the transport make sure the loop button is lit. Record. When I want to listen I use the undo or redo function. The takes are tiled in place so when you undo you go to an older take. You can redo and undo up to 100 levels. It works great and is fast.

That's not quite the same... I like to have the takes displayed in a column so I can piece together the parts of each take I like to one 'final' take. I'm actually pretty surprised to hear that Samp doesn't do this. Does SX or Sonar do this?

I was not even able to record inside of a loop. It was possible to play back a loop, but samp. recorded over its end-marker. And so I had just one take and not a lot of takes with the lenght of the loop.

Why don't you just cut this single take in many.There is a gridbar and a snap function so this shouldn't be a problem .I B) think.

Nice greets

Fred

Why don't you just cut this single take in many.There is a gridbar and a snap function so this shouldn't be a problem .I B)  think.

Both of your ideas (the undo/redo and the cutting one) are not as comfortable as I know it from logic, but if you work a lot with Samplitude and you "have it in your fingers" it's OK, I think.

Maybe Magix will fix it soon...I will write and ask anytime.

Thx for your help-

kind regards

Tom