Help with 7.21 Samplitude demo

Guest cyrral

I've recently downloaded the Samplitude 7.2 demo from your website. I'm a current Sonar user and I am interested in moving to a more professional product.

I've installed it on my P4 2.8ghz with hyper-threading, Win XP Home with Service Pack 2, 160GB HD system. When I start Samplitude it allows me to start a new project, but locks up my system with I try to run any MIDI or audio files. I have to shut the PC off by turning off the power switch. It totally locks up everything. I am using a Tascam FW-1884 as a A/D/A interface. The demo runs on my P3 500mhz system, but not on my P4 2.8ghz system. Sonar 3.1, Sound Forge 7.0, and Wavelab all are working fine on the P4 system as well.

Can anyone give me an idea why I can not get Samplitude to work?

Thanks for your assistance,

Larry Cunningham

cyrral B)

B) I was afraid that that would be the solution. I'll have to try it. I know the Cakewalk Sonar actually uses hyper-threading. (To what extent is not clearly stated) It there any word from Magix that Samplitude has that in it's future, or is it not that big of an issue?

Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll post my hopeful success with it. :D

Larry Cunningham

cyrral

It seems with some of the new Hyper-Threading computers, that the HT can not be turned off.

A quote from John of HP,

"In every new model computers of almost all the computer manufacturers, they do not allow the users to disable the Hyper threading technology. Because, it always improves the system performance."

This is dis-heartning as it keeps potential Samplitude owners to either buy an older computer, only purchase those PCs that you can turn the HT off/on, or purchase other DAW software that runs with HT technology.

Now I'm really frustrated.... B)

Larry Cunningham

cyrral

You should be able to from within the bios, since its really a mothetrboard handleing feature, not OS or shipset specific persay, just boot to your bios and see whats cookin underthe hood, if anything and you can not you could always just slap in a mobo that supports the ability to disable HP if you wish, most modern mobos automatically have this feature, well atleast the know brans such as Asus, Intel, Tyan, Abit etc etc etc.

Cheers!

Guest Gravitygrave

Out o f interest Cyrral, what in your opinion makes Sonar less pro? I'm looking at the Sonar PE 4 and it seems like not a bad product. I'm using Cubase SX2 at the moment.

Thanks,

G

To Gravitygrave,

In reality, I really only consider Samplitude as a high-end professional due to it's extensive recognition within the industry, and it's repeated comparison to Nuendo (considered professional by most). I really can't tell you for sure that Samplitude is any better than Sonar, because I haven't been able to get the Samplitude demo to work on my machine.

With Sonar PE4 and Samplitude 8.0 both coming out at relatively the same time frame, it makes for some interesting conversation about their abilities, pluses and minuses. As well as comparisons.

I could very well end up with Sonar if Samplitude has headaches with hyper-threading. Although, I can't see that being an issue, as I've seen Pro audio packages being sold with P4 hardware that incorporates HT technology, and packaged with Samplitude 7. Go figure!!! B)

Guest GTBannah
Although, I can't see that being an issue, as I've seen Pro audio packages being sold with P4 hardware that incorporates HT technology, and packaged with Samplitude 7. Go figure!!! B)

They probably just turn off HT before they sell the system to you .... :D

Samplitude has no headache with HT. Works good. At least here. Must be something else. Play with the driver and buffer settings ("Y"). Maybe a wrong clock source in the ASIO section?

Hey, that's great to hear. I will definitely work around with the configuration. I certainly would like to try Samplitude. Stay tuned for further developments!!!

Thanks,

Larry

cyrral

Guest Kraznet

Hi Larry,

I'm not sure what is causing the feezing , possibly an issue with XP service pack 2? I've tested the demo on my P4 3.06ghz and it runs fine although I am using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Editon (180 day evaluation)so thats a slight difference. Although I do have hyperthreading disabled .I don't recall trying it with HT turned on

With Sonar PE4 and Samplitude 8.0 both coming out at relatively the same time frame, it makes for some interesting conversation about their abilities, pluses and minuses

I downloaded the Sonar 4 demo the other day and the found I was getting pops and clicks when adjusting audio in the arrange window when the track was playing .This has never happened in the Samplitude demo - the audio engine seems very solid . Another thing I didn't like about S4 was that certain functions are not available during playback for example when trying to load a new DXi the menu's are greyed out so you have to stop the track.( I'm used to everything being realtime in Logic) I remember this was something that bugged when I tried a previous Sonar demo. The good things about S4 are the folders which I have been in Logic for years anyway ( I hope Magix will implement something like this oneday) and the way multiple cycled takes are handled. However I uninstalled it fairly quickly ...I guess my heart is set on Samplitude V8 .

Good luck

Kraznet

When I changed the Driver system to WDM (Multichannel), everything started to work. It did crash after a few minutes of doodling with MIDI and then audio, but it's my first attempt.

Now, if I can keep it running, I can give some feedback.

Larry C

cyrral

Guest GTBannah
To Gravitygrave,

In reality, I really only consider Samplitude as a high-end professional due to it's extensive recognition within the industry,

There's your answer .... B)

Guest GTBannah
Samplitude has no headache with HT. Works good. At least here. Must be something else. Play with the driver and buffer settings ("Y"). Maybe a wrong clock source in the ASIO section?

Is there a difference between with and without HT?

Guest GTBannah
Hi Larry,

I'm not sure what is causing the feezing , possibly an issue with XP service pack 2? I've tested the demo on my P4 3.06ghz and it runs fine although I am using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Editon (180 day evaluation)so thats a slight difference. Although I do have hyperthreading disabled .I don't recall trying it with HT turned on

Kraznet

How is Win 2003 otherwise? Is it out on the market as yet?

That may answer some of ouor problems with the service packs .... B)

Guest Kraznet
How is Win 2003 otherwise? Is it out on the market as yet?

Hi GT,

W2K3 has been out for quite a long time and works very well on my systems - I have it on 2 machines .It's like XP without the Toys"R"Us interface B) Certain apps won't install on it like Norton /Powerquest but there are solutions like Sygate firewall and AVG that work but some alternatives are expensive because they want to sell you server versions which are 5 times more expensive. There's a site that deals with turning Windows 2003 into a workstation http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/ and there's a compatiblity page http://www.ntcompatible.com/compat.php?cat...ndows2003&idx=0 .

If you want to try W2k3 you can download it from here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...al/evalkit.mspx .

Kraznet