Groove Quantize

Guest Guest_Jake68

Guest Guest_Jake68

Oh well, tuff luck Samplitude. Dont they know? This facility is the real key to tight modern beat programming. The ability to extract a groove and use it throught is one of the things that makes Nuenobase so undesertable for many users. I think if anyone's reading this, that if these dudes want to pick up all the flotsam and jetsum pro programmers that Steinberg inevitably leave in their wake with the customer relationship from hell.......they need to include this feature pronto.

Any reply from the company as to whether or not this is planned ?

They need of course all possible features pronto, but compared to the features Samp offers now, most other programs are weak. Look on the new feature set of version 8 and compare it to the feature set of the new Steinbug sequencer and you see, who really needs something. They have still no flexible signal and effects routing. If you want beat programming now, there are enough other specialized toys. If you want audio editing, mixing and mastering on the best possible level, with the best sound on the market, go for Samplitude or Sequoia.

Guest Guest_Jake68

I'm royally fed up with Steinbug its true. However, my day would be Soooo Long without making groove templates. My problem is that like most programmers I need to the features you mention AND groove templates...call me greedy B)

I´am sure they will go for groove templates sooner or later, if they go further with this development speed. Look what they did only in the last two years. Version 8 has a complete new surround engine, elastic audio like melodyne and much more midi than before. Analog modelling suite, DVD audio, a better video integration and much more.

Guest Guest_Jake68

Im actually going to write to them or email them. I really think that with this elastic audio and 5.1 if they introduced the midi functionality associated with once all midi tools like Cubase, they would really be on to a winner. Really contemporary styles depend on using diverse grooves. And while it can be done manually, a groove quanitize template for audio & Midi is a must if days are to be short and fruitful rather than long and painful !!..

Guest Guest_Jake68

Tricks of the trade mate!

Groove is more about the relationship between one strike of percussion and another than you might think. Of course theres a emphatic relationship as well. But a groove template is where a program like recycle looks at the timing relation ship and then creates a map for you to quantize to, based on this shifted timing. Rather than the exact 16ths 8ths triplets whatever.

You wouldnt really want to use it that way round, more like the other way round. But I have to say (and only if people who "own it therefore its the best" stay at home) Steinberg is really ahead with this type of music programming. Which is basically how a large proportion of charting European crossover music is made. In Nuendo-base you can swing the timing grid out of align of time and into align of your drummers timing, making an exact stroke by stroke tempo map of his or her playing. So that every thing can be snapped to it if needs be. Let me make that plain "if needs be". Strong timing relationships would sound shit if your were the Ben Folds Five!...

Say I have a groove pinched from a record, but I didnt like the drum sounds, I can use the groove template to midi program strike replacements but use the timing of the original groove. Its the bomb. You can do this manually, but what I mentioned above really is a Steinberg domain. Problem is, that you may come across several minor bugs whilst using the Steinberg method and its quite likely they wont get fixed until the next paid upgrade, because although they are good with innovation, they suck with customer relationships. Which is why Im sniffin around here! B)

In Nuendo-base you can swing the timing grid out of align of time and into align of your drummers timing, making an exact stroke by stroke tempo map of his or her playing.

Thats a groove template? It´s possible in V8 and the grid lines in the midi editor follow the swing value in realtime. Free tempo mapping (grid to audio/midi events) is even possible in V7.

So let me get this straight . . . the most common use of a groove template is to quantize an existing loop and then replace instruments in that loop? I presume it's done in one measure (or one "loop") and the results are looped further to complete the song?

Sorry I don't speak the language. I'm an old-school, "set up the band and push record" kind of guy!

Guest Guest_Jake68
So let me get this straight . . . the most common use of a groove template is to quantize an existing loop and then replace instruments in that loop? I presume it's done in one measure (or one "loop") and the results are looped further to complete the song?

Sorry I don't speak the language. I'm an old-school, "set up the band and push record" kind of guy!

Depends on the groove itself one or two bars sometimes 4 for the repeat. Typically dance or electronic music created like this used bars & beats style box programming. Working like this gives your music a very clean contemporary style. Which is what Im hired for mostly, bringing this style to not so original "by the book" recorded music and of course my own original tracks. Usually this can be done to allow fast and tight midi programming that doesnt have that umpa band 1234 bang on feel but is as tight as it gets.

GOOD NEWS>.......Grid to Audio - Midi events !!!!....It can be done. Gonna download the demo know and play with this function if I can.

Anyone know the price of the upgrade from Nuendo 2 ?

Woopee...Steinberg your Days are numbered you tight arses.

Sincerely if they actually made more of an effort to please their customers I wouldnt change!

Incidentally what are this crew like for customer relationships, maybe I can get an artists deal ?

GOOD NEWS>.......Grid to Audio - Midi events !!!!....It can be done. Gonna download the demo know and play with this function if I can.

Anyone know the price of the upgrade from Nuendo 2 ?

There is a crossgrade offer somewhere on the Samplitude website. But keep in mind, Samplitude is not a midi sequencer for composing in the moment, it is - still - a superior audio editing, mixing and mastering program with a special and flexible usability approach. You will surely miss some features or special technics and maybe you will be dissapointed. Samplitude has a lot of edges and not so streamlined in usability things.

But you get a lot of interesting toys inside the program. Object effects and the new elastic audio or the analog style compressor in V8 are awesome! Did I mention the best sounding audio engine?

Sincerely if they actually made more of an effort to please their customers I wouldnt change!

See above, if you are happy with the program and don´t like the company, it´s not the reason, to make a complete switch to a program with a complete other philosophy. I recommend to try the demo before you jump into a new marriage.