some doubts before buying

Guest Rodolfo

Guest Rodolfo

Hello,

I'm almost decided to buy samplitude v8.

After some years of working in some small studios with Logic, PARIS and Nuendo in PC I'm going to buy one DAW for myself.

I really love Logic and some features in Nuendo, but after trying Samplitude in a friend's studio, I think I'm going to make the change.

Before my final decision I'd like to know some aspects about Samplitude (not «how to do it?» but «is it possible to do it?»):

- does it recognize relative midi controlers?

- does it recognize Recycle files?

- does it recognize ASIO inputs as mono inputs?

- is it possible to control the objects position (nudge left, nudge right) with external midi controlers?

- does it imports/exports OMF files?

- is the MIDI section developed in version 8? (like logic or cubase)

I think thats all for now.

Thanks a lot for he help.

Rodolfo

- does it recognize relative midi controlers?

Yes.

- does it recognize Recycle files?

No.

No, but ...

- is it possible to control the objects position (nudge left, nudge right) with external midi controlers?

No.

No.

- is the MIDI section developed in version 8? (like logic or cubase)

No.

The Guest before me answered No, and I have no idea why...?

Of course Samplitude will recognize mono inputs!

You bring up record options and choose "Stereo" or either the "left or right" channels. So if you have your mono signal coming through channel 1, then choose "left" and you will record in mono.

The ASIO format groups inputs to stereo pairs (must be some kind of synchronizing thing). V7 splits the pair to two channels (Mono L and Mono R), but the inputs are still organized in stereo pairs (press "Y" for the list of stereo devices). Samplitude 8 offers a better mono handling (track can be stereo, mono, mono mix).

Guest rodolfo
The ASIO format groups inputs to stereo pairs (must be some kind of synchronizing thing). V7 splits the pair to two channels (Mono L and Mono R), but the inputs are still organized in stereo pairs (press "Y" for the list of stereo devices). Samplitude 8 offers a better mono handling (track can be stereo, mono, mono mix).

It would be good, because I tried voxengo plugins with FORCE MONO activated and the PAN knob started to work almost like a VOLUME knob.

But at the moment my doubts go to the midi department. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...but I'm having some problems trying to work with multiple channel vst instruments, like sampletank and kontakt. When I'm playing in the second midi ch, after recording something in one track to midi ch1, everything sounds with the midi ch 2 sound (When I'm monitoring). But when I just playback what I recorded everything sounds correct. (sorry if I'm doing something wrong)

Another problem is recording to diferent tracks if I have to make overdubs in the same midi instrument without deleting what was recorded before. Does seems very natural to me.

One more thing, but now on the audio section: the use of several buffers and a diferent buffer sizes than the audiocard's buffer, seems not to work in an efficient way (maybe its my ignorance in this subject). It reminds me of cakewalk.

When I worked in logic (after cakewalk) working with 1,5ms or 3 ms of latency was possible with plugins, vst instruments and recording, monitoring, audio, midi...With samplitude I cant't tune the buffers values to work so easily and flawlessly.

But I really want to work (buy) this application. I did some test only with audio and the results where incredible. I have already done intense work with PARIS, Logic and nuendo and samplitude seems to beat them all in the audio quality and a lot of other stuff.

I'm just asking some advice and examples of real (life) use of this aplication with audio and some midi.

Soryy if this is asking to much...I just don't want to spend my money and discover later that I can't do some imporant things I need in my everydyday work as a musician and producer.

Thanks in advance. Every opinion is apreciated.

Rodolfo

What doesn't import/export OMF files these days B)

Will V8 import/export OMF files? I've been leaning torward buying Nuendo V3 when someon told me about Samplitude, but I really need OMF for audio post work. Any tips??

What doesn't import/export OMF files these days

The question is: What does import/export OMF correct these days? Unfortunately OMF is no open standard and every company presents an own hack of the format, which often fails. EDLConvert is very good.

Guest GTBannah
07.23.2003  Sequoia/Samplitude and EDL Convert Pro

In co-operation with CuiBono Soft, each Sequoia and Samplitude CD will soon contain a test version of EDL Convert Pro. This application is indispensable for exchanging data with other DAWs, especially as it readas not only AES31, OMF and OpenTL, but also a variety of file formats of programs that include Sadie, Sonic Studio and Vegas. The test version is available to registered users in the Download and Support sections of Sequoia and Samplitude.

That was taken from the Samp site ....

Anyone try it? B)

Guest Guest_rodolfo

I've tested the demo and it worked perfectly, better than any "transfer" I've already made before:

PARIS to Logic

PARIS to Nuendo

Logic to PARIS

Logic to Nuendo.

It seems much more reliable.

Samplitude + EDLConvert are a lot cheaper than Nuendo 3 (I think so, but I'm not shure). And Samplitude sounds A LOT better.

Rodolfo

Samplitude + EDLConvert are a lot cheaper than Nuendo 3 (I think so, but I'm not shure). And Samplitude sounds A LOT better

I'd be interested to hear from anyone using Samplitude in an Audio Post & music demo environment. I know little about Samplitude but I know I need a system that can handle Vision & Audio transfer from the likes of AVID & have the ability to 9 pin control a didgi beta if need be. I'm a bit of a "newbie" with what's out in the real world as I spent many years posting on a DSP Media (Australian) system.

Boz

A Samplitude system works good for video & audio post work. The object oriented work is a big advantage in this area. Samplitude 8 can play a linked video fullscreen on an other monitor or a TV (with an video direct show overlay card, like the Matrox Parhelia or Millenium 650/750). Keep in mind, you have to invest also in some extensions. You need a professional format converter ( EDLConvertPro is the best) and a 9Pin translator from Samplitudes MMC, when you want to control a digi beta. You need a hardware device with a constant sync stream, like the Time Machine or the smaller Rosendahl box.

Guest Guest - L Upton

Where would one go to find an MMC <> 9 pin translator?

I want to try Samp 8 in a post setting - I'm currently using Nuendo 2, and I like it's 9 pin control capabilities, especially when talking to HD D5 decks, but I think Samp sounds rounder and warmer, and I love the object editor for individual clip EQ settings. It would be nice not to have to buy Sequoia just to implement 9 pin machine control.

I work at a TV station, so house sync and VTR's are not an isue, just machine control.

Thanks,

Larry Upton

KPBS TV/FM

San Diego

Guest Guest_guest
A Samplitude system works good for video & audio post work. The object oriented work is a big advantage in this area. Samplitude 8 can play a linked video fullscreen on an other monitor or a TV (with an video direct show overlay card, like the Matrox Parhelia or Millenium 650/750). Keep in mind, you have to invest also in some extensions. You need a professional format converter ( EDLConvertPro is the best) and a 9Pin translator from Samplitudes MMC, when you want to control a digi beta. You need a hardware device with a constant sync stream, like the Time Machine or the smaller Rosendahl box.

why would you need synch with the Avid? Surely the best solution is just render the Avid video and audio to AVI and then transfer the AVI into Samp 8 and open it up. Then the DAW is controlling both the video, original sound and new edited sound?

Guest Richard M

I'm also thinking of buying Samplitude .

Exactly why does it "sound better" as some of the posts on this forum seem to suggest?

I'm just about to move to Sonar v4 but before I do........

Exactly why does it "sound better" as some of the posts on this forum seem to suggest?

Better programmers, better algorithms, better signal keeping concepts, better audio engine design, whatever. But in the end it doesn´t matter why, it simply does.

Also,..(IMHO) it is easier to mix in Samplitude. The mixing features alone are astounding.

Object fx (like having another mini-mixer) on each and every clip. All non destructive. The native fx are excellent. Everything is much faster when mixing.

Some other programs may have some more/extra features but, Samplitudes ' unique features more than make up for it. The offline FFT filter is a beautiful mastering tool.

There are a few area's that need improvement, (midi?/takemanager?) although these may be taken care of in V8. I can't afford to up to V8 till after 05' But I am very happy.

Mike

why would you need synch with the Avid? Surely the best solution is just render the Avid video and audio to AVI and then transfer the AVI into Samp 8 and open it up. Then the DAW is controlling both the video, original sound and new edited sound?]

Thanks guys, I’m almost convinced I’ll purchase Samplitude 8 over Nuendo 3. As far as AVID/AVI, yes why would you need 9 pin, but I plan to have a mobile system so I’ll be dealing with everything from Wedding VHS’s to full length doco’s. Have to cover all bases.

Now here’s another question…..has anyone digitised vision into Samplitude, i.e. captured vision on some sort of video card & successfully locked a Samplitude project to it??

Now here’s another question…..has anyone digitised vision into Samplitude, i.e. captured vision on some sort of video card & successfully locked a Samplitude project to it??

If you mean, you can link a video to a project and play it to the arrangement? Yes, thats possible. With a direct show overlay card like a Matrox G650, 750 or Parhelia fullscreen on a seperate TV or PC monitor.

• 2 weeks later...