Samlinux

Guest Samplitude Linux and goes OS X

Don't count on it. Once DRM Windows is available, the new Magix dongle will go by the way side, and Windows will be the safest platform to write code for. The dongle is built right into the DRM CMOS chip on the motherboard.

That said, I just read that Steinberg was sold to Yamaha for ONLY $25 million. That is ALL Steinberg was worth? Jeeze!! They (Steinberg) most likely sell many more copies of Cubase, etc than Magix does of Samp/Seq.

In that case, many open source groups could probably pull together and buy the source code for Samp/Seq for about a couple hundred bucks apiece, and open source the whole thing! In all, I would guess the value of maybe $8-10 million, and I believe I'm being optimistic.

In that case, we would essentially be able to run Samp/Seq on whatever platform we wished. I would LOVE that!!!

Bill

They (Steinberg) most likely sell many more copies of Cubase, etc than Magix does of Samp/Seq.

You forgot the consumer versions of Samplitude. Cleaning Lab, Audio Cleanic, Music Studio, Music Maker and all of those programs in the cheap packages. They sold this stuff a million times every year and dominate the sales charts. Steinberg@Pinnacle has sold nearly nothing in the last year and thats the reason for the Yamaha deal. Magix is now a hundred million dollar company and claims the market leadership for video, photo and audio software. They will of course not sell any source code to anyone.

Guest Torsten

I run Samplitude with wine. Unfortunatly I am not able to register it. Everytime I try to register the program crashs. Is there any way to get it run? (the Demo runs fine)

Torsten

weird. it registered fine for me, or maybe i had already registered it in normal windows. the problem with WINE was certain things like the filter dialogs wouldnt open. it also runs in VMWare. buut why bother? what do you want to do on linux that you cant do on windows, faster, and much more easily

i should also mention that it was impossible to get decent sound quality io from linux. i mean with wine or vmware samplitude runs, but the audio was clearly truncated to 16 bits by /dev/dsp, i thought about writing a 32bit jack.udb compatible VST plugin,to run over the loopback, but since theres nothing on linux that there isnt an equal or better alternative to on WinXP (even bash shell/GNUtils , see minGW) id have to be paid to bother...

Guest Torsten

Thanks for your response!

I use linux as my standart system. So I tried to get samplitude run in linux, because it would be much more comfortable to not always switch the system. I have no idea why it doesn't work (I must add, that I'm not a big expert in wine). The quality isn't that important for me, since I just want to use it for composing (that means I have the tracks of the rest of the band and try to fit my part in). The final recording takes place at our rehearsal room. Is there any recording program for linux where I can import my samplitude files?

Torsten

Torsten, i suspect your distro may have included an old version of WINE. your best bet to get the latest is probably to use Debian-Unstatble, or Gentoo. i know samplitude will run in the latest wine, including the registration process. at least 7.22 . Also, try running WINE as root..and make sure it is properly config'd by testing some other app first..

of course, it would be great to see a proper port by MAGIX, in fact its the only program from winXP really needed here, that doesnt have a linux version...keep in mind there are 3d/graphics companies that do sell software on linux, so commercial stuff is not entirely a 'no' for the platform..