Samplitude vs the others

Guest joz

Hi all,

I downloaded the demo of SampV8 and I am impressed. I currently use Cubase SX3 and I'm not completely happy with the way it works. I tried Sonar 4 but that's not completely my cup of tea too (though, all in all, their bundle seems better than Cubase SX, with the Sonitus stuff and all).

Everybody says Samplitude is the better, more professional way, comparable with Pro Tools and Logic. Why is that? What makes Samp so much better? I'm really interested...

I record 80% audio and 20% MIDI, but I do use automation quite a lot (took me while to figure that out in Samplitude, but seems to work fine, once you're used to it).

Looking forward to your replies

Guest GTBannah

Yeah.

Samp/Seq has a very different and interesting way of doing things. It will take some getting used to. I'm studying V6 at the moment and, once I get comfortable, and "the accouontant" aggrees, I'll move up to V8.

I like the fact that you can do everything in the same place. I like the stereo imager, I like the fact that you can limit and increase volume on the same page.

I'm a Cakewalk/SONAR type to guy, and I like the fact that in SONAR you can automate every single, individual, one-by-one parameter. I also find SONAR's mixer easier to navigate.

The mixer in Samp/Seq is scalable. when you drag a corner, the size changes proportionately. In SONAR, some of the mixer disappears. :o

I love the MIDI in SONAR. I may have to take a leap of faith, where MIDI is concerned, and just move over to Samp/Seq. In the absence of a manual, the MIDI aspect of the V8 DEMO is not clear, especially since the approach is so very different from SONAR's.

Even if I end up recording and mixing in SONAR, Samp/Seq is a good Mastering tool.

End of lecture ....

Guest MikeG

Hi Joz,

I've just ordered Samplitude V8. I am currently a Nuendo 2 / Cubase user. I did some extensive tests and although Samplitude didn't do so well in the midi tests it excelled in the audio. I was able to run 50 audio tracks at once, which Nuendo 2 couldn't handle. The effects and audi processing are far superior and the audio quality much better. The ability to re-order groups (sub mixes) and FX (aux) tracks was a big bonus.

I do do quite a lot of midi and I will probably have to continue to use Nuendo or Cubase, but this is what I had to do a few years back when I used Cubase for Midi and Nuendo 1.5 for audio. One of the main reasons I'm moving is the bad support and the poor service that Nuendo users have received since Nuendo 2. I don't expect good features to be removed and then have to pay upgrade prices for them to be added back later. I'm hoping that as time goes on and with some constructive criticism Samplitude can match Nuendo / Cubase for midi and I can dump Steinberg altogether.

Good luck with your choice!

Mike Gill

Guest Guest
I've just ordered Samplitude V8. I am currently a Nuendo 2 / Cubase user. I did some extensive tests and although Samplitude didn't do so well in the midi tests it excelled in the audio. I was able to run 50 audio tracks at once, which Nuendo 2 couldn't handle. The effects and audi processing are far superior and the audio quality much better. The ability to re-order groups (sub mixes) and FX (aux) tracks was a big bonus.

I do do quite a lot of midi and I will probably have to continue to use Nuendo or Cubase, but this is what I had to do a few years back when I used Cubase for Midi and Nuendo 1.5 for audio. One of the main reasons I'm moving is the bad support and the poor service that Nuendo users have received since Nuendo 2. I don't expect good features to be removed and then have to pay upgrade prices for them to be added back later. I'm hoping that as time goes on and with some constructive criticism Samplitude can match Nuendo / Cubase for midi and I can dump Steinberg altogether.

Mike Gill

Good decision Mike - see you in ther User Forum soon .

Regards

Kraznet

Thanks a bunch guys! This helps, though it answered my question partially.

Another part of what I realy would like to know is, what makes a 'high end' software sequencer high end? In this case Samplitude V8. The fact that it's low on processor usage (the 50 tracks of MikeG) weighs in heavy and the fact that the effects sound good is indeed a very nice starting point. But I'm also interested in what seperates the sequencer boys from the men, just overall. Not as a comparison between brands. Just like with cars you can say leather seats, big engines, lots of features like GPS and all, but also a nice solid feel when you handle a door or something. Stuff that seperates a mercedes from a toyota...

Thanks again...

Guest Guest
Stuff that seperates a mercedes from a toyota...

No latency compensation in Pro Tools and Logic. No realtime object effects in any other sequencer. Try a simple crossfade in Pro Tools and Samplitude and you know it. Try a sample exact zoom and cut in logic and later in samplitude and you know it.

If you still don´t know: Mix a project in pro tools, logic, nuendo and samplitude. 9 of 10 users swear, they get a better sound quality in samplitude. And all number tens I´ve seen in the past agreed, Samplitude sounds at least as good as the others.

Guest Guest

:lol: that sounds very scientific!?

9 out of 10 huh?

What was the sample size and was it a representative cross section?

Sounds better?.... hmmmm

I suspect you held that demo in your own head buddy, and what a fascinating place that must be, where almost anything can take place :o

do a search on some genuine double blind tests for DAW comparison and do yourself and everyone reading a favour.

:lol:

Guest Guest_Tekker
do a search on some genuine double blind tests for DAW comparison and do yourself and everyone reading a favour.

:o

If you're using ONLY volume, then yes, they will probably sound more or less identical. But how many people do you know who mix that way? The things that will make a difference in any DAW are things such as EQ, comps, reverb, pitch shifting, etc.... And these are a big area where Samplitude shines because all this stuff built into Samplitude is fantastic.

So yes, I would say the first guest's comment was very accurate. :lol:

-tkr

Guest Guest
You mean those blind test comparisons without faders, object fades, crossfades, effects, different dither algos and a different automation resolution? You´re mixing this way?

Guest Guest

Thanks for all the useful feedback :lol:

sorry to spoil the little tea party about how much "better" samplitude sounds.

I have no problem whatsoever with someone having a personal preference.

The idea that 9 out of 10 people prefer samplitude mixes to anyhting else is somewhat embarrassing

I would think. No science, no real test, not even any evidence of 10 people having taken this so-called listening test.

No wonder samplitude has closed forums apart from this pathetic offering.

So precious and molly coddled seem to be the magix users, much easier to hide in warm safe place where mommy can tell

you you're using the "best" app, and we sound " so much better".

Ok girlie boys, enjoy the taste on the tip of your tongue, although you do make a funny sight all huddled around like that :o

Guest here's my take

I think Samplitude sounds better than Nuendo, even though they both only have 3 syllable's. Definately sounds better than any stupid 2 syllable program.

Guest Guest
I think Samplitude sounds better than Nuendo, even though they both only have 3 syllable's. Definately sounds better than any stupid 2 syllable program.

at last! Something based in reality, easily testable and I was able to confirm that nuendo and samplitude both have 3 sy-lla-bles (or is that syll-a-bles?). As to which one "sounds" better, I'll stick my neck out and say.....

I really sound better innuendo :o

Guest GTBannah

Hey, hey, hey!

You mean those starting with a "C", or an "L" right? The ones starting with an "S" now have 32bit internal processing so, be careful .... :o

Guest Guest_Tekker
So precious and molly coddled seem to be the magix users, much easier to hide in warm safe place where mommy can tell

Ok girlie boys, enjoy the taste on the tip of your tongue, although you do make a funny sight all huddled around like that :o

I actually post more about Samplitude on other forums than I do here.... LOL

But if you know of something that sounds better than Samplitude, then please share. :lol:

-tkr

Guest Pathetic forum=pathetic post

:o

If this forum is a pathetic offering,...why are you here? And why would you expect any proof from a pathetic forum anyways? Have you not found any other valid testimony?? It's out there.

Do a test yourself,.. with any demo of Samplitude. Even V6 if you can find one. You'll be pleasantly suprised. Although,.. I think these statements/findings are more valid in the past years,... more recent developement with newer versions of other softwares may make it MOOT.

You can't ride the train with one foot still planted on the ground so why bother buying a ticket?

Once you get on the Samplitude Train,..there's no looking back.

Guest Guest
:lol:

If this forum is a pathetic offering,...why are you here? And why would you expect any proof from a pathetic forum anyways? Have you not found any other valid testimony?? It's out there.

Do a test yourself,.. with any demo of Samplitude. Even V6 if you can find one. You'll be pleasantly suprised. Although,.. I think these statements/findings are more valid in the past years,... more recent developement with newer versions of other softwares may make it MOOT.

You can't ride the train with one foot still planted on the ground so why bother buying a ticket?

Once you get on the Samplitude Train,..there's no looking back.

duh!!!!... :lol:

I'm here because the samplitude user forums are closed.

Swing by the steinberg forums and you'll see one of the only open

basically uncensored audio app sites on the net.

Not pretty at times. However, a prospective user is able to read gripes and engage in asking questions from

real users in their own setting.

I would find it useful to see what real users are saying in their own forums about their tools before spending $1000.

I realise the welcoming committee here have nothing but positive things to say and are awfully offended at some of the more outrageous claims being questioned. I have heard good things about samplitude and have a demo on my system which I fire up every now and then. I rarely see any negative comments or shortcomings in the software, that makes me curious. The whole secrecy thing of the forums (and I have been told contentious posts get deleted) makes me feel there's something to hide, kind of like "stepford" sequencing. I'll keep an eye on this "pathetic offering" :lol: and fire up the lastest demos of samplitude as it becomes more than a straight audio editor. :o

Guest Guest

Not pretty at times. However, a prospective user is able to read gripes and engage in asking questions from

real users in their own setting.

good point and basically the reason for the registered forum.

90% professional attitudes. 10% newbies and crossgraders.

It pretty much is a great communty of users who help eachother thru all problems. Not much flamming and ..virtually no trolling. Which is a VERY refreshing thing to see/read.

How can you be offended here, if your used to how nasty other forums can be?

try here too:

news://news.nv.net/samp-seq :o

Guest Guest
good point and basically the reason for the registered forum.

90% professional attitudes. 10% newbies and crossgraders.

It pretty much is a great communty of users who help eachother thru all problems. Not much flamming and ..virtually no trolling. Which is a VERY refreshing thing to see/read.

How can you be offended here, if your used to how nasty other forums can be?

try here too:

news://news.nv.net/samp-seq :o

my point exactly, if it's so great why can't we read what's posted there?

I can understand why only registered users can post, but don't understand why prospective users are not able to view the forums. The reasons you've given dont address that at all. I'm curious what these problems that people help each other with are. Or do I have to wait until I've emptied my wallet?

Guest Guest

Uncensored? I´ve seen a lot censored posts and closed topics there. I´ve seen also a lot of complaints about the bad support of Steinberg in their forums over and over again. Quite the opposite in the Samplitude community: The Samplitude guys have posted a thousand times in the registered forum. I remember only one or two closed topics and censored posts in the last years. I see no reason, to blame them for delivering this special and unique service for legitimate users. If somebody needs an open Samplitude forum, there are some good places to go. I can also recommend the newsgroup (news://news.nv.net/samp-seq) or the Synthax USA forum.

Guest Guest

I see nothing wrong with the forum either. It is an "added" feature of the program. Some feature secrets are posted in the tips section. They do not these features posts all over the net. There is nothing to hide. It is thier policy now,..so...thats they way they want to do it. These are as best as answers as you probably find anywhere.

OR: They feel You have been spoiled rotten with too many free things and feel you take the internet for granted. :o Be carefull,...or they may send you a defective dongle just for spite!!! :lol: (kidding of course)

Guest Guest_Tekker
I would find it useful to see what real users are saying in their own forums about their tools before spending $1000.

As has been posted before, check out the Samplitude newsgroup, according to the folks there the newsgroup is just as active (if not more so) than the official forum (I still have v6, so I don't have access to the registered forum :o).

.....BTW, you can actually get v8 Pro for $550 by first getting v6.0 Producer ($150) and upgrading for $400. :lol:

I realise the welcoming committee here have  nothing but positive things to say and are awfully offended at some of the more outrageous claims being questioned.

It really has nothing to do with being offended by questions. It's more like when posts like this are made....

"So precious and molly coddled seem to be the magix users, much easier to hide in warm safe place where mommy can tell

Ok girlie boys, enjoy the taste on the tip of your tongue, although you do make a funny sight all huddled around like that"

....Then you can't expect that to be met with a serious response. One toungue-in-cheek post deserves about 50 more in reply. :lol:

Now if there had been anything substancial to counter these "outrageous" claims, such as "I don't think Samp has the best effects because the EQ in SAWStudio sounds better than the EQ in Samplitude" etc.... Then there could be room for a logical discussion. But when posts like the above are made, you do you think anyone is going to take the comments seriously?

I have tried out every program I can get my hands on including SAWStudio and ProTools (the free version anyways) and other misc programs... and if Nuendo or Cubase had demo versions, I'd do the same with them. So far, nothing has been able to touch Samplitude, otherwise I would be posting at a different forum right now. :lol:

I rarely see any negative comments or shortcomings in the software, that makes me curious.

This message board is mainly for newbies to come and ask questions (hence the name "Newcomer Board"), the regulars don't really hang out here (other than to come and help answer questions) and the developers also don't hang out here. So there's not much point going into bug fixes, ideas for future developement, or gripes about certain aspects of the program on this forum. If you want all that stuff, check out the newsgroup. :lol:

-tkr

Guest Guest

back onto the original point of this thread...

samplitude sounding better than the others.

http://www.3daudioinc.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...?ubb=forum&f=19

if you can be bothered to wade through a massive amount of info,

you may end up being surprised by some things here.

For those that are already aware of this particular test, it seems "the best"

can be a very subjective thing when it comes to audio.

This is in answer to the guy above who was wanting a bit more detail.

as has been said many times... go knock yourself out

p.s it's possible i may end up in the user forums,it might be fun to have another tool in the shed;)

p.p.s I also checked out the newsgroup, seems samplitude/sequoia is still pretty much an audio editor

with the midi and post still very basic. Happy to hear any feedback :o

Guest Guest_Tekker

It seems those guys are doing volume only mixes correct? From what I have seen from skimming that's all that's been mentioned. I didn't see any of the actual results mentioned in the first thread on that site, but I mentioned before that volume only probably won't make much (if any) difference. But the place where Samp shines is in the built in effects, like the AM Suite, the Room Simulator, Multiband Compressor, EQ, and other odd ball stuff like the vocorder and guitar amp simulator, stuff like that. All of the effects in Samp are top notch, where a lot of other programs can skimp in this area.

p.p.s I also checked out the newsgroup, seems samplitude/sequoia is still pretty much an audio editor

with the midi and post still very basic. Happy to hear any feedback :o

The post area is covered in Sequoia, they obviously can't put all the good stuff in Samp otherwise Sequoia would never sell. :lol: They are working on MIDI but personally I think they should just make it easy to link Samplitude to other MIDI programs (so the two will work together flawlessly) and let other programs focus on the MIDI, as programs like Nuendo/Cubase and Sonar seem to excell in that area. Samp excells in audio and I think they should focus on the audio aspect of Samp.

Samp is definitely more than just an audio editor, as it can take you from multi-track recording, to editing, to mixing, to mastering, to CD layout and burning. All within the same program. Most people I see on other forums have to use a different program like CD Architect to layout and burn their CDs. So from start to finish, Samp does it all for audio work.... And since I do only audio work (no MIDI) that's what I love about Samp! :lol:

-tkr