VST Automation ?

Guest LMD

Allright.. Now I've tried it all, you got to be kidding me!?

I automate a VST, sure no problem... But I really dont wanne use 7bit resolution!? 0-127!

(and some more curves than linear would be nice too)

How the heck can I use higher resolution on the automation.. and "VST automation resolution" dont increase the stepsize of the automation at all..

I'm testing the v8.11 demo.

Isn't it funny, that such a pro sequencer is using 7bit resolution on automation?

Please tell me how I can use high resolution, and maybe NRPN?

Also... Sam8 doesent seem to support VST MIDI routing. I had no sucess at all, trying to automate a plugin inside Sam8 using MIDI from FruityLoop, tried both ReWire and VSTi.

Well... I was thinking of getting me Sam8, but automation and VST MIDI are one of my priority-needs. Too bad, Sam8 is really good otherwise.

Do I really have to think Sonar4 or SX3?....

Guest Guest

hehe.. sure you can set it, but it still SENDS out 0-127.

Just watch the info-text while you tune the autocurve... See the numbers? ...it goes from 0-127!

And if you still imagine that you finetune, just watch the plugin "jump" if you make a curve from buttom to top!

Guest Guest
hehe.. sure you can set it, but it still SENDS out 0-127.

Just watch the info-text while you tune the autocurve... See the numbers? ...it goes from 0-127!

Use the shift key to move the points in smaller steps - or automate the parameter from the plugin window.

Guest Guest

If you zoom in the waveform, you can see, there are countless possible steps between a controller step. The 1-127 display is for the midi controller curve acting of automation lines.

Guest Guest

:huh:

I dont know how hard this is for you guys to understand, but the MIDI send value that is displayed is the value that is sent to the plugin.

And just to make sure im not the slow one here, I counted the steps-changes my plugin did when I had a long automation curve starting from buttom and going up to the top. Guess what... it made 127 changes.

So, please explain to me how I can get higher resolution?

BTW, I found this in the helpfile:

MIDI resolution: Time constant (in milliseconds) for sending current controller values: When starting playback, the controller data is transmitted if the value changes after this period of time has lapsed (within the frame of 7bit MIDI resolution).

blah blah...

No matter where I look, I cannot find anywhere in the help telling me how to user higher resolution then 7bit!?

If anyone knows how to enable it, then let me know (and quit telling me to zoom... it has nothing to do with the resolution)

:lol:

Guest Guest

Hi LMD,to automate a plugin inside sam is quite easy.just just hold ctrl+alt (or select 'automate next parameter' in the plugin Dialog)and move the fader or turn the button.If you need to make some finetuning just zoom in,select the pan tool and draw.with shift you can make straight lines.Make a shorcut to open the automation\controller window where you can hide and delete curves and very soon you will get really fast in handling your automation curves.

About the Vst Automation resolution go to System Options-Advanced buffer setting.

Hope it helped you a bit

Nice greetings

Fred

Well Fred, that still dont change the fact that we are talking "MIDI Automation curve", witch still have resolution of 0..127!

Still useless for finetune and sweeps... Is there another form for automation... Like "VST Automation curve" ?

SX have it, Sonar4 have it, FruityLoops have it (actually, the best of them all)...

C'mon people, you can't be serious :huh:

Guest MrEon

Go into "System/Global Audio Options" and then press the button that says "Advanced Buffer Settings".

At the bottom of that window you will find a field that reads "VST automation resolution [samples]".

Try increasing that value and see what happens.

"VST automation resolution [samples]" was the first thing I tried.

Then I read the helpfile, and like I just said before: this is the TIMING resolution, not the controller resolution.

I think I've checked about every possible option there is more than once, and no sucess.

Dunno if im gonne laught or cry...

Then im thinking: Ok, you can have very high timing resolution (that is the "VST automation resolution"), but the step increment resolution is only 7bit.. So you have 3 possible option left for this answer:

1. The developers are stupid (wtf is the point of highres-timing when the steps are 7bit!?) ...I find this HARD to belive! ...hehe.. but if this is the case, they are!

2. I have a bug in my v8.11 Demo / or demo limitation.... naah, I really don't belive this either.

3. Noone knows, or we all miss the obvious!?

What are my lucky number then?

I think I just give up, and wait till Samplitude get real automation... too bad.

LMD

Guest Guest

Well since most of the vsti's parameters haven't got more than 127 step this isn't such a big problem i think.But maybe for you it's better to stay with fruity boobs :lol:

anyway.

ANd can you please explain the 7bit story,i dont get it. 127x7bit :huh:

Greetings

Al

Guest Guest_Tekker
Well since most of the vsti's parameters haven't got more than 127 step this isn't such a big problem i think.But maybe for you it's better to stay with fruity boobs  :lol:

Fruity Boobs? LOL!! :lol:;)

I can definitely see the problem with it. I tried doing some level adjustments with an EQ and it was bouncing all over the place instead of doing a smooth steady increase in volume. It would be even more noticable if you were doing a frequency sweep (since you would hear it jump as it changed). Most plugins have very smooth parameters, so they must have way more than 127 steps.

ANd can you please explain the 7bit story,i dont get it. 127x7bit :huh:

7-bit = 127 steps..... There are 128 different values but 127 steps between values.

You can figure out how many values you can get from a certain number of bits by taking "2" (since each bit has two different states, either "on" or "off") to the power of the number of bits.

So 7-bit would be:

2^7 = 128 values

16-bit would be:

2^16 = 65,536 values

Then you can minus the result by 1 to figure out how many steps you will have inbetween values (that's where the 127 comes from). B)

-tkr

" Well since most of the vsti's parameters haven't got more than 127 step this isn't such a big problem i think"

...Al, no! Thats just very, very wrong. I havent had one VST yet that dont have 16bit resolution. (

And when it comes to you'r diss with FLS, I just say lol. FLS is a very good scratchboard, and your "booping" about it is because of your lack of knowledge. With FLS export the tracks into Sonar... And I was kinda hoping to migrate to Sam8!

And since you say that, I say: FLS have automation, Sam8 dont! (MIDI dont count, MIDI is NOT automation)

Tekker, yes it a big problem. Try do a loong sweep with a good filter, and you can hear the steps with ease.