How to use Outboard Effects??

Guest Guest!

Guest Guest!

How do I use/set up a digital outboard reverb using the SPDIF digital I/O on my RME soundcard??

Let's say I use the digital SPDIF I/O on a TC M-one or a Lexicon MPX550 and connect them digitally to my SPDIF I/O on my RME card - I then route a AUX in the Samplitude mixer to the outboard reverb so I can use the reverbs in the outboard unit - has anyone of you tried this and how do you do it??

a) What about latency??

:huh: Can you just bounce the individual tracks that the aux has been assigned to (so the reverb is saved with the track)

c) or do you have re-record the tracks to save the reverbs??

I'm using the Samp 8 demo and I don't have outboard reverbs but it would be nice to know how this would work!!

Guest GTBannah
c) or do you have re-record the tracks to save the reverbs??

Yep. The outboard Reverb will not respond to the "bounce" instruction from Samp, so you will have to record the track with the reverb.

Another option would be, to record the reverb signal to another track so you would have a bit more control with the mix.

Guest Guest

OK!

How would you record the reverb to another track?? Can you tell me step by step, would you then use the recorded reverb track as a aux track??? - I'll rent an outboard reverb soon to try it out and if I can get it to work well I'll buy one!!

Thanks

Guest Guest!!

I knew the question was comming and it's a perfectly fair question!

I like the reverbs in samp. I'm on demo 8.01 so I have no room sim. but I have heard some of the other convultion verbs and they sound great but there's still a major step up to quality of the hardware units like Lexicon PCM91, TC Electronic Reverb-4000, Kurzweil KSP8 or even the older Sony DSP R7 - even the Powercore or UAD-1 cards do not sound as good as the more high end reverbs.

A friend and I are building a studio and we want a single high end reverb - I really want samp in the studio so it's important that it can work with a outboard reverb digitally via SPDIF - I know the Cubase has outboard compensation but I like samp way better!

Can you tell me how I could record the reverb??

Thanks!!

Guest GTBannah

O.K., then. Let's see here ....

I imagine you would send the Aux track to an OUTput on your audio interface, plug that into the INput of the reverb unit, then record the OUTput from the reverb onto a track in Samp, having plugged that into an INput on the interface.

If there is any latency, you may have to drag the "reverb" track so as to sync it up with the "dry" track.

Come on fellas, did I guess right? :huh:

Guest Guest

in fact ..YES

but I would say that you make a test wave and record it and messure the offset by the number of samples.....after you can sync by typing the sample offset into SAM for that particular Hardware unit.

Regards

Guest Guest!!
but I would say that you make a test wave and record it and messure the offset by the number of samples.....after you can sync by typing the sample offset into SAM for that particular Hardware unit.

How/where would you type in the in sample offset in samp???

Guest Guest

I was too fast and not exactly at the point this afternoon.

A loopback should be made.

And you type in at PLAYBACK > RECORD OPTIONS or (Shift + R )

And there is a box > RECORD OFFSET (Samples)

Regards

Guest Guest!!!!!

Hey that's great thanks!!

I'll send a test signal and record the return and then measure the sample offset and just punch that in the "RECORD OFFSET" but if I'm using digital I/O (SPDIF) I'm probably not going to get 64 samples (1.5 ms) latency because there is no A/D or D/A conversion or am I wrong here???