quantisize a mono audiofile ?

bogarsle

Guest Guest_Tekker

I don't think you can quantize audio... That would be very useful though. :huh:

There is a trick that can get you close in v7 and v8, but it's a little more complex. lol What version are you using?

-tkr

Guest Guest_Tekker
I´m using V8 ? any suggestions ?

Ok, that's good.

This is more of a "manual" edit, but if the bass has timing issues and you need to fix it, then this should get you in the ball park. Like I said, this method is more complex, but I think once you try it and follow the steps, then you'll get the hang of it.

I forgot to ask if you recorded to the Samplitude click track, because that will help a lot if you did.

First, select the bass object and go to the Edit menu --> Strip Silence. This will make edits at all of the "peaks" for each note. You will probably have to play around with the threshold settings to get this to trigger on your bass part correctly... And if the bass playing is very dynamic or inconsistent, then you may have a hard time getting it to trigger in the correct places. If this is the case then set it so that it chops it up into larger sections and try the following with these larger chunks. Most of the time you don't have to edit each individual note as they will stay in time for a relative amount of time... For example taking one measure and aligning the first note on time will put the rest of the notes in that measure on time as well. But if they get off on another note during that measure, then you may have to do some "hand editing" and try to align those sections by ear.... At least you won't have to do the entire song that way though. :lol:

Ok, so once the bass track is split up into small sections, activate the snap gridlines by right clicking on the 2nd ruler bar at the top of the VIP and choosing "Show Grid". These vertical lines show you the measures (beats) for the song. Then activate the snap to grid by right clicking on the 2nd ruler bar at the top of the VIP and choosing "Snap Active". Now, if you recorded to Samplitude's click track so that your project tempo lines up with the song's tempo, then you should be able to grab each clip and quickly drag and snap each one on tempo.

Now, if the bass player was doing all quarter notes in the song then you're job is going to be very easy. :lol: But if he did mixed notes and you need to have a smaller steps to line the bass back up then you can adjust the step movement by again right clicking on the 2nd ruler bar and selecting "Snap and Grid Setup". Here you'll want to look for something called "Partitions". This number is how many steps are inbetween each grid line. If you change the number to 4 then you have 4 steps between each measure (quarter notes), if you change it to 8 then there are 8 steps between each measure (1/8th notes), ect... You can also get tripplets by changing the number to 3, which will give you 3 steps between each measure. So you can place any bass note perfectly in time with the tempo of the song. If you have any problems finding the correct step partition for a particular bass note (or several notes), then you can turn the snap to grid off (uncheck the Snap Active) and then manually align those notes by ear until it sounds right.

This all may seem a little confusing at the moment, but once you work with this a little bit you'll start to get the hang of it... This way is soooo much easier than trying to fix timing by hand without the snap feature (believe me, I've done plenty of that! lol :huh:)

I hope this helps and if you have any questions about this, feel free to ask. ;)

-tkr

Guest Guest

You should try the remix agent from the tools menu. It can slice and quantize objects, add crossfades between the slices and can adapt the arrangement tempo in many ways. It was buggy in 8.01, but seems to work fine in 8.2 now.