Samplitude Tutorials

Guest Bob L.

Guest Bob L.

I noticed another person has remarked in another thread about the lack of information on the web about Samplitude. I thought it interesting as I also have become frustrated with the lack of information available. The Samplitude site has information on features. It provides a demo, which is nice, but I haven't done that yet (I generally don't like to load/unload programs that aren't permanent. In my experience, if your system is running well, don't provoke it, so I haven't done this yet). If the demo has a manual, then I will be trying it out.

I have read 3 or 4 reviews from emusician, Future Music, Sound on Sound, etc., at least for v7.x. They were great reviews for the most part, but there hasn't been one professional opinion that hasn't noted that the program has a steep learning curve. They all referred to the manual, but also added that it was more of a reference than a user guide. It sounds as though the video help files from the included CD-ROM are what eased the frustration level in a couple of cases (and these are seasoned users of DAW's). From there I've tried to find tutorials, objective internet discussions on specifics of the program, video help files, etc. Most audio software companies provide extensive videos or other things for all and anyone who would like to know more. That's just good PR. Samplitude/Sequoia gives an overview of features, offers a demo and basically leaves the individual to sink or swim from there.

The bottom line is, are consumers supposed to be satisfied with a "what you see is what you get" marketing campaign? I'm a home user. If I'm spending $1000 on an all-inclusive audio DAW, I expect to be well informed before committing. The other big DAW companies are providing supportive documents, video tutorials, anything to try to help persuade the consumer that their product is right for them. Publishers are making books all over the place on Sonar, Nuendo, Cubase, etc., yet the only thing I can find as a book I can read about Samplitude is an out of print one written by Andre Ciboule published by CampusPress in 7/20/03 called Samplitude 7.x and ironically it is only in French! I just don't understand why Magix is so ambiguous and elusive about these products. Even SAWStudio had a book available, and they're not nearly as exposed as Samplitude.

I will download the demo. My objective is to be convinced that I can record, mix and edit with total confidence that I'm not missing what this software can do. A company should make it a priority to demonstrate HOW one can benefit from their product BEFORE spending one penny, not along the way after spending a year. I don't need a forum (which can't even be reached until you've invested several hundred dollars), as I prefer to educate myself. I'm even willing to PAY for books, etc. to be enlightened on what I can expect. I just have to say that this is very odd, short-sighted and makes one question if the design team is as equally inept as the marketing team :huh: . I'm not about to find this out after the fact.

Respectfully, Bob

Guest Kraznet

Hi Bob ,

If the demo has a manual, then I will be trying it out.

Yes the demo has a very useful online help .

They were great reviews for the most part, but there hasn't been one professional opinion that hasn't noted that the program has a steep learning curve

This is all relative to the previous experience you have along with your computer skills . I spent 10years learning Logic before I switched to Samp. Yes it took some ajustment but I played with the V7 demo (when I had time) and set up similar keyboards shortcuts etc so that when I did finally make the jump it wasn't such a trauma . Although I had no intention of switching until V8 came out as I needed the impoved midi functionality

Most audio software companies provide extensive videos or other things for all and anyone who would like to know more. That's just good PR. Samplitude/Sequoia gives an overview of features, offers a demo and basically leaves the individual to sink or swim from there.

Logic is considered to have one of the steepest learning curves and I had to rely on the Yahoo user group and the manual . In fact the support for Samp on the User forum is a breath of fresh air compared to the offhand way Emagic treated its Logic users. There is a samp-seq newsgroup if you do need help with the demo at news.nv.net . You could also try http://gearslutz.com/board/forumdisplay.php3?f=13 which seems to have quite a few Samp/Seq users there.

The other big DAW companies are providing supportive documents, video tutorials, anything to try to help persuade the consumer that their product is right for them. Publishers are making books all over the place on Sonar, Nuendo, Cubase, etc., yet the only thing I can find as a book I can read about Samplitude is an out of print one written by Andre Ciboule published by CampusPress in 7/20/03 called Samplitude 7.x and ironically it is only in French!

Samplitude has a pretty small user base compared to the big 3 so it's less likely you will find videos tutorials and books as I doubt there would be much money in it for the authors . However I believe Tom Sailor at www.synthax.com has a video tutorial in the pipeline.

A company should make it a priority to demonstrate HOW one can benefit from their product BEFORE spending one penny, not along the way after spending a year.

Hmm this is a difficult one . I guess you will have to go with your own intuition . I tried the SX/Sonar demos and I really wasn't convinced by them and I really felt that Samplitude was the only real alternative to Logic as I didn't want to switch to an Apple computer . Even then I was very cautious but I guess you have to take a chance sometimes and I'm happy I did. BTW I decided on the Sam for Rent version which allowed me to crossgrade from Logic and now I pay £19-99 per month (25month contract) which include 2 free full version upgrades.

I'm even willing to PAY for books, etc. to be enlightened on what I can expect. I just have to say that this is very odd, short-sighted and makes one question if the design team is as equally inept as the marketing team

OK marketing maybe not their strongest point but the developers definitely know what they are doing .The 8.2 upgrade was quite stunning and addressed all of the things that I missed from Logic and added some very nice new tools as well .

Regards

Kraznet

Guest Bob L.

Hello Kraznet, and thank you very much for the newsgroup link, info on the included help file and especially your insight and experience! I must say that in what I have been able to read about Samplitude, it does seem to combine more capability in one environment than any other DAW I've seen. Stability has never been a concern that I have gathered so far either, in fact it has been said more than a few times that even under intense usage it seldom, if ever crashes, not to mention being uncommonly CPU friendly. It also appears that any weakness in the areas of midi have all but been eliminated. These are all encouraging aspects that makes me feel better about a substantial investment, at least substantial for me.

It's somewhat humbling, as the consumers that Samplitude is likely aimed at are professionals that have an income producing business in which to justify a professional product on this level. I'd like to go with a solid app, perhaps Samp, something like the Presonus Firepod due to it being the least expensive, firewire capable, quality audio interface with 8 mic preamps, and be able to record my own compositions. I have the CPU horsepower, as well as the ability to navigate reasonably well with Sound Forge and Adobe Audition. Samplitude may be a heavy-hitter compared to those apps, but with dedication, it's not like I haven't been in a similar environment, plus, I hopefull haven't become so indoctrinated to a traditional workflow like many other users, which seems to throw them a curve when switching to Samplitude.

Just wanted to add that it is amazing what audio tools are available today for a competent computer, to those that can harness their power and flexibility (and I'm likely not one that has that gift necessarily, just a desire at this point). There is an enormous amount of music, in all genres, recorded 30 or more years ago, much created for the sake of the art. I'm amazed at how well many of these recordings hold up today. My point being that an investment in one good DAW host, a decent quality front-end to feed it and the desire to invest time and learn, there is likely little to nothing anyone in an amateur to professional recording scenario should ever need. This is how I justify making the investment, as even as development yields continued improvements, one could stop right here and have all that one needs to reliably compete on virtually any level, and never update a thing again. Based on this model of rationale, that is what led me to believe that Samplitude may be the one DAW to fulfill that realization for me, and also why I'm being somewhat compulsive about the decision to do so.

Thanks for obliging my digressions, your feedback and experiences :huh:

Guest Guest

I don´t think other comanies have a better pre- or after-sales sevice. Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase or Nuendo have no real demo available for download. I wasn´t aware, that free tutorial videos for those apps exist. Some of them offer not even a free support.

Guest Bob L.

Maybe not directly, and in that way you are correct, but many, like Sony Media and Adobe, offer training videos for a modest price for those that want them. Even 3rd party supplements for purchase are important components to a products success. I should have been more clear than imply I meant at no cost. I'd rather spend $100 on a comprehensive guide to a product I was considering spending $1000 to understand better, than to purchase it to decide it wasn't reaaly what was best for me. Sometimes you have to try to be as imformed as you can, put your head down and dig in. That's just sometimes alot to ask the everyday guy who can't sustain many head injuries due to only being able to afford a helmet meant for one significant impact! I guess I'm verbalizing this so developers/companies are reminded there could be a bigger market if they they minimize as many apprehensions as possible. Then again, maybe the majority of existing customers aren't OCD either :huh:

Guest Guest
Maybe not directly, and in that way you are correct, but many, like Sony Media and Adobe, offer training videos for a modest price
Maybe, but: Both companies offer no professional production software. Whats the best training video without such an application?

Guest Guest_Tekker

I know this don't help with the videos, but it may help with the cost of your investment....

You can actually get Samplitude Professional v8 for only $550, but first getting an older version of Samplitude Producer v6.0 and doing the upgrade to v8.

Samplitude Producer 6.0 - $150

http://www.jdsound.com/store/product1.asp?...Product_ID=3367

Samplitude upgrade from Producer 6.0 to Professional v8 - $400

http://www.jdsound.com/store/product1.asp?...Product_ID=3797

Select the version you own to the version you want to upgrade to from the drop down list. You will also have to send them a picture of your CD & manual along with your serial number to show proof that you own Producer 6.0.

This way is a little more effort and waiting on your part, but it'll save almost half the price in the end and you'll have an extra copy of Samplitude to install on another computer (without the dongle). :huh:

-tkr

Guest quicksound

Hi there Guest tekker, do you know where I can find the crossgrade price to Sam? All I can find on the site is this:

- platform-independent crossgrades of comparable audio and sequencer programs **

No price !!!

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Guest Kraznet

Hi Bob L ,

Thanks for you very eloquent reply :huh: With regards to tutorials Tom Sailor has posted on the newsgroup that a Samplitude Basics video is just about finished . Check out the samp-seq newsgroup at news.nv.net .

Regards

Kraznet

Guest Bob L.

Thanks Guest Tekker for the great alternative, I also found some other sites offering similar upgrade paths. That's great!

TY also Kraznet, I did go to the newgroup a few days ago after your initial suggestion to look around, so I will be watching there as well!

Maybe, but: Both companies offer no professional production software. Whats the best training video without such an application?

Guest, I'm sorry, but I have seen much evidence that Sound Forge, ACID Pro and Adobe Audition are used in very high-level professional settings. They are every bit as well received as Vegas and Premiere are to their respective professional video users. I'll even go as far to say that there are not likely many professional settings that don't have at least one of these in their studio arsenal.

The irony of your statement is that if your position were to be correct, then it further fortifies that if these companies are putting out comprehensive training videos, how can anything being considered "professional" not?

Guest Guest
I'm sorry, but I have seen much evidence that Sound Forge, ACID Pro and Adobe Audition are used in very high-level professional settings.
I ´ve also seen the windows notepad in very high-level professional settings. I'll even go as far to say that there are not likely many professional settings that don't have this little program in their studio arsenal.

I ´ve also seen the windows notepad in very high-level professional settings. I'll even go as far to say that there are not likely many professional settings that don't have this little program in their studio arsenal.

I have to agree with this statement.... I think it's a lot of hype that a lot of those programs get much (if any) use in a major facility. I tried the demos for two of those (Sound Forge and ACID) several years ago and they didn't stay on my computer for very long. LOL

They were jokes even compared to the Cakewalk program I was using at the time, and even more so when compared to Samplitude. The only good thing I liked from ACID was the "paint" style looping and you can do that in Samplitude with the "build object loop" option in the object editor. I don't recall having any particular likes about Sound Forge... But it's been a long time since I've used them, and I can't remember specifics about each program, I just remember the overall experience wasn't impressive.

However I TOTALLY agree that Samp needs more videos/tutorials!! In fact Tom Sailor (from Synthax) is working on them as we speak. Here is what he wrote in the registered forum....

-------------------------------------------------

Video Tutorial Topic Requests

Hi Folks-

What kind of topics would you most like to see covered in the upcoming video tutorials we will be offering? We want to be sure we cover all of the pertinent topics of interest for you all. Please let us know so that we can get started right away...

We have a Samplitude Basics Video already just about finished...so look for details on that in the next weeks...

We are also looking for royalty free multi-track sessions to use for the tutorials...If you are interested, please send us your sessions to:

Synthax Inc.

5111 Market St.

Boardman, OH

Please include all pertinent info, credits (the song must be an original composition), your web site...etc...

Thanks for all your support!!!

Tom

-------------------------------------------------

-tkr

Guest Guest

I'm not trying to be arbitrary, but does Bob Katz use Sound Forge? Probably not. Does Massenberg use ACID Pro? Doubtful. And it is unlikely either use Samplitude to any further degree. I'm not suggesting world class studios are using these. That doesn't mean that anything less than that is unprofessional either. The point is many people that earn a living recording, editing, mixing and mastering are using these tools. I don't understand why that is even being scutinized :huh:

I simply responded to the non-sequitur comment "guest" made in response to my point that Adobe Audition and Sony Media products offer comprehensive training videos (which they also tour across the country) and that one would think that Samplitude, on the level it is being marketed on, would benefit by providing at least as much as a video tutorial:

My response again is, what is your point other than to find an excuse to dig cost effective and respectcable software? Your statement actually is bolstering a point that more modest software offers more than Samplitude in terms of easily accessible references.

Well, a bizarre reason to post something in the guise of useful info, but hey, a good reason to encourage getting access to the real forums :lol:

BTW, looking forward to checking out the Tom Sailor's efforts on the tutorial videos. Wish I had more input to give him, but I'm afraid most everyone here are way ahead of me. Nice to see someone take on that challenge, TY Tom! :lol:

My response again is, what is your point other than to find an excuse to dig cost effective and respectcable software?

I think part of the point was that Magix has been known for poor marketing, and it's pretty obvious that they put more energy into making the software incredible than spreading the word.... Instead of the other way around with those other programs. :huh:

Luckily they now have Synthax to help them out with the marketing. :lol:

-tkr