8.2 demo?

Guest Gravitygrave

Guest Psychologist

Gravitygrave, hope is a positive thing and I'm proud you're making good progress in this area. I know this is an important upgrade to you and we all feel the yearning to experience the life changing affects of the mighty 8.2, but I beg you not to put all your dreams in this update, there's so much MORE to live for!

Guest rashofstabbings
I'd live to test out the improved rewire and VSTi stuff in .2

I get it, but what will you do if you can't test it out?

Don't Juuump!!! :huh::lol::lol:;)

Guest Gravitygrave

I used to own Samp 7 and for me it is possibly the best audio tool out there. I'm now working on two albums that used rewire and VSTi's in a huge way, unfortunatly I had to sell Samp to get some cash together.

I like to see whats happening with other audio apps, and if it works well with rewre and VSTi i'll probably switch back to samp.

There are two three things that make Samp a non starter -

Rewire and VSTi integration - but I understand that this is just the start for samp as an app

In abilitiy to put Samp, VST and DirX fx in any order in the inserts

Inability to automate sends

If I can't test it...I'll juststay where I am :huh:

Cheers,

G

Rewire and VSTi  integration - but I understand that this is just the start for samp as an app

VSTi seems to work fine to me. But I'm no MIDI expert or anything.... :huh: Haven't used rewire at all, so can't comment on that.

In abilitiy to put Samp, VST and DirX fx in any order in the inserts

Yep, this is a big issue with me as well, I still made the upgrade.... But they better get on that ASAP. :lol:

Inability to automate sends

I know Samp has a way of "work arounds" for certain issues (luckily they have done away with a lot of them in v8.2).... But you can use two aux tracks and then use the first in the chain to automate the "send" volume to the second aux track. Then you can hide the first aux track from your VIP and mixer (like it's not even there) and only call it up when you want to create or change the automation. :lol:

Before the hide feature, your VIP would have been cluttered with the "extra" aux tracks using this method to automate sends, but that is no longer the case.

-tkr

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading along the various threads in the forum. I guess my main question, which doesn't seem to have been answered anywhere, is why the demo version is 8.1 if 8.22 has been out? I've never seen a company put out a demo/trial that wasn't the latest version available (and even if someone comes up with examples, what can possibly be the reason for that?) This is far too costly of a program to be expected to make assessments from anything but what is most currently available, otherwise the update must be insignificent.

I've been reading along the various threads in the forum. I guess my main question, which doesn't seem to have been answered anywhere, is why the demo version is 8.1 if 8.22 has been out? I've never seen a company put out a demo/trial that wasn't the latest version available (and even if someone comes up with examples, what can possibly be the reason for that?) This is far too costly of a program to be expected to make assessments from anything but what is most currently available, otherwise the update must be insignificent.

That's a good question.

They seem to be slower on the demos than the official releases. They did the same with 8.11, because it had already been out for a while before they came out with the demo for it. So I imagine an 8.2 demo is in the works?..... Maybe?.... :huh:

-tkr

yea,..its been like that since forever,... they don't really follow what thier competition is doing much. (to a certain extent) Why should they? And with the pirated software probs they had,.. I dont expect them to release an 8.2 demo anywhere in the near future. Your gonna have to take other user's word on its' (rewire) operation in 8.2, plus I expect more patches/updates before the new v9+ is released next year.

as far as vsti,... whats the problem? only certain software doesnt work? I use a few and have no problems whatsoever. (v7.23)

McG.

Why should they? And with the pirated software probs they had,.. I dont expect them to release an 8.2 demo anywhere in the near future. Your gonna have to take other user's word on its' (rewire) operation in 8.2

This is not an acceptable excuse. I don't believe pirated software problems is the reason and it better not be made public reason if it is. Customers come first, and the companies that demonstrate that move forward and stay at the forefront. Again, if real consumers are expected to take a back seat to what you call "piracy", that is very bad business. Samplitude is nowhere near the market share as Sonar, Cubase & Nuendo. Since this digression has taken this path, those that "pirate"are not people who have any intentions of buying the program. The hundreds-of-thousands of dollars spent on sophisticated anti-pircay techniques 1) don't work 2) cost people like me money to incorporate them into the product 3) put people like me in the backseat while a self-centered industry plays an imaginary war just to up the price of software to keep "Al Qaeda" out.

Before anyone starts pulling quotes to comment on about piracy, the industryand other similarly rediculous points of view i.e. "excuse me bwilliams, it IS a very serious problem", save it. That is the stance and attitude of ignorance (don't bother quoting on THAT comment either, it adds validity and is unbecoming).

We'll wait for 8.2 as Tekkerue said, as that is a much more plausible possibility. In the meantime, I can almost bet some irresponsible feedback is on it's way first :huh:

BTW, Mcgyver, I wasn't directing that response at you personally, so please don't take it that way. I just get hot thinking of money wasted when companies pass on rediculous overhead to something that doesn't solve anything. If that was the case, the big 3 companies would have more to risk. Buyers are buyers. There's no lost profit if you aren't one or are never going to be one. The only people that do that are those that are "generally" those who don't have the money, therefore there is no lost profit. There is no copy protection scheme that will keep the others out. None, now, not next year, never. To attempt to do so drives the price up and I will not pay for that if it is obvious a company is going out of the way to invest in such nonsense, that's all. Again, I'm not even open to another point of view on that, because it would be wrong.

Whether you feel it is acceptable or not,.. is pretty much irrelavant. I still dont think you'll see a 8.2 demo. (highly unlikely) Mabye they dont make thier "demo's" as high quality or "demo-protected" (wording??) good enough for the demo NOT to be hacked into a freely avail program on warez. (far fetched but possible) And they like being in control of thier prize software. Or mabye they just dispise people trying to hack into it, and they want to make it as difficult as possible,...instead of ignoring it) They are doing fine in the euro market,.. mabye they just dont need to satisfy every single request.

I am still using v7.23,... but when I upgrade to V8,.. I would surely do my best to let you know exactly how rewire/vst have improved.

Whether you feel it is acceptable or not,.. is pretty much irrelavant.

I agree with you, it doesn't matter if I feel that is acceptable or not. What does matter is that companies hear what is on consumer's minds. Too many people share my opinion and don't take the time to express it. I almost didn't want to waste my time on the subject, but I'm confident that my stance is supported by enough to make a major difference in sales. Not heeding to these consumer views will have a negative impact, plain & simple. I appreciate your offer to tell me about how v8 is after you buy it, but I will never buy it unless I use it myself. Any other solution is absurd unless return policies are changed, and that won't happen (funny how no one wants to be stuck, but look who's expected to take risks).

Or mabye they just dispise people trying to hack into it, and they want to make it as difficult as possible,...instead of ignoring it) They are doing fine in the euro market,.. mabye they just dont need to satisfy every single request.

I’ve read in other threads in this forum how Samplitude is becoming more popular but how it is hopeful that it will seat itself amongst other major DAW’s as a major market competitor. It is fact that Samplitude has been around for many years and has a distinctive user base. These users seem to be very happy with it. Any great product will have its cult following. If you’re in the business and want to be at the top, you demonstrate that. If your satisfied with European demographics, then fine, but don’t wonder why a larger part of the world market isn’t “catching on”. If your analogy is correct about fear of pirating the software, then putting the product and official forums in a chastity belt will keep the user base a minority. You want to play the game, you take the bad with the good. It’s a no-brainer, otherwise, sit on the sidelines, enjoy the little fortress of fear and the level of success that comes with that. If we raised our kids the way software is protected, they'd be kept under shelter all the time or live in a bubble in the name of protection. That would be selfish and greedy, as well as an impractical and immature stance.

Mabye they dont make thier "demo's" as high quality or "demo-protected" (wording??) good enough for the demo NOT to be hacked into a freely avail program on warez. (far fetched but possible) And they like being in control of thier prize software.

When someone is shopping for a car, it is absurd to see a 2005 model sitting in the showroom and be expected to test drive the 2004 model on the lot, even though there is “little difference” and a test drive of the 2004 model “should satisfy” prospective buyers.

Professionals making money using software buy the legitimate product. Those that use “warez” live in their parent’s basement because they don’t work for a living. Those very same users have no intention of buying the product and never will.

It is far better for Magix to sell 50 copies of Samplitude based on availability to curious consumers of their cutting edge developments than to worry about 100 being taken as warez. THIS is where the lost profit is coming from. The error in thinking is that losing “no” money is worse than losing 50 legitimate sales. It doesn’t take Lee Iacocca to make that statement valid. Any arguments against that demonstrates irrational thinking and the responder's credibility (or another motive for saying so). Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar and Ableton Live are not top selling DAW’s due to fear of what might happen if they put out the latest version as a demo. That in itself demonstrates that those companies that are aggressive and maintain keeping their product visible and available to test drive will remain so. Market share is directly proportional to market exposure. I guarantee that “warez” users do not care if they sit on v8.1 and wait for v8.3 to come out before getting v8.2. In the meantime, people like myself (and there are many out there) take offense that we should be deprived of a latest revision demo before handing over hard cold cash because a company is fearful some may use it illegitimately. If you buy into the myth that the warez market is hurting the industry, you have inaccurate data and have succumbed to the brain-washing of finacial corporate management (or are part of it yourself). Major production facilities use legitimate software. That is your market. My neighbor "Roy" that may have a pirate version of Samplitude that he substituted for a copy of Cool Edit is not taking money away from anyone, as he was never going to buy it in the first place. How do we stop that? That's another issue, but trying to stop the "Roy's" is not worth hindering sales to honorable people like myself (or you or anyone else for that matter).

There's really nothing more to say. Maybe I should just get a warez version of 8.1 and wait for 8.2 to come out and get that one too. Is that a better alternative? If I really felt that was, would I be here wasting my time trying to supplement this view with logical, rational wisdom? If indeed I'm wasting my time and it's better to put holes through my theory, then why shouldn't I?

All this because users want to evaluate a demo with a current feature set, not an old one...there you go I guess, but I say that to make a point. Feel free to try to put holes through it :huh: .

Guest sebastian.gabler

Guys,

no matter where the speculations go: the reason for not being a 8.2 demo at the moment is lack of resources. It is a lot of work. I understand the "hurry up" calls, but not referring to the competition where there is no demo at all available for a product called n***** and for their smaller palttform the demo was on a 4 year old code version when I last looked. (I wonder if that had changed in the meantime.)

Warez is no issue at the moment for us. (Maybe that's the reason to ask for a current demo version?)

Fact is: there is V8.11 containing about 90% of what is available at the moment. Including a lot of resources towards information in the Help File included.

Moreover, Sequoia demos ship as 30day limited evaluation copies to whomever is interested. Requests: sequoiaATmagix.net

Cheers,

Sebatsian Gabler

no matter where the speculations go: the reason for not being a 8.2 demo at the moment is lack of resources.

Thank you. A respectable and considerate reply.

Warez is no issue at the moment for us. (Maybe that's the reason to ask for a current demo version?)

I'll acknowledge that response but will not dignify it with an answer, but have to ask what all this defensiveness is about? I never initiated the warez innuendos and was trying to explain how that is rubbish. What does it take to strip away all the paranoia over reasons for wanting a demo of exactly what a person would be buying? My mistake for picking a couple that didn't (granted they were two big ones), but there are many examples of similar products that do this, that's all. It isn't blasphemous, nor should the request be suspect to any ulterier motive (unless it IS an issue)! I won't continue this any further, as I carried on enough. You're response is appreciated, but what you added was unnecessary and insulting. I can see that my posts have conjoured up whatever suspicions that insinuate I'm trying to gather top secret/confidential information. Give me a break :huh: So much for PR, but thanks for stepping in, I won't perpetuate this with additional responses, or thought.

I think he means,..that since Magix has taken precautions,.. (dongle > sequenced patches) and since there is no 8.2 pirate copy at the moment, he was suggesting , mabye you thought (or me) that since that is the fact,.. why couldn't there be a demo of 8.2 now. (hope thats close anyways)

(prob wasn't directed to you,.. more to the many who read here)

SFR90 looks like a nice option for you mabye....

http://www.samplitude.com/de/sfr_90_2.htm

All money paid for the lease goes toward your full purchase too! I don't think any competition has that kind of promotion.

Guest sebastian.gabler

Hello,

I'll acknowledge that response but will not dignify it with an answer, but have to ask what all this defensiveness is about? I never initiated the warez innuendos and was trying to explain how that is rubbish.

Fair enough. My reply wasn't to anybody personal. My point was only to express that I relate the increased demand for demo versions with the lack of pirate versions for the moment, among other facts as a significalntly increased presence of Samplitude and Sequoia in the public.

It is a fact:

The lack of inofficial "Try before Buy" versions leaves a gap.

As I said, we do our best.

Best regards,

Sebastian Gabler

Ok, one can't ask for more than that. I'm sure Magix is aware of the desire and will act accordingly, given available resources.

BTW, I have tried the demo and it is absolutely great. The help file is indeed full of valuable information. I must add that it's not like having a PDF available that you can print and refer to. I really think that is an obstacle for some users (I can't believe I'm alone in "every" method I use!) that want to explore with minimal frustration.

Is the purpose of the Sound Cloner to capture a spectral print of an existing source so another source can use it, similar to Har-Bal or what Ozone uses? I haven't looked at that yet, but wanted to know if it was and what existing spectral "captures" can be used with it (if that is the purpose)?

I also did see the 90 day no obligation trial, which is a nice option, but a bit expensive if one chooses not to purchase it afterwards. It is good for those that are really on the fence and feel good about everything they've read and tried so far, yet need extra time to live with the benefit of the full program to commit. I'm still in the infant stages of acquaintance, but this is really looking to be a total audio solution, which really isn't a surprise from what Samplitude has been known for. I'm hoping to spend much more time with it over the weekend. At the very least, I would be proud standing behind this product. It gives this user a feeling of solidity, control, power, stability and amazing flexibility. Then again, so does the Stealth Bomber, which is amazing and said to be very difficult to navigate! THAT is the big question, can all users get a hold on that part of it. I'll spend my demo time trying :-)