Samplitude on multiple computers, policy?

Guest Waterbird

Guest Waterbird

Hi folks, first post here, newbie. I'm looking at upgrading from some freeware [Kristal Audio] to possibly Samplitude Pro. I've been reading up on Samplitude for a couple of weeks, I like the vibe!

The only post I could find on multiple install was from 2003 ["using samplitude on two computers"]. What is the current policy and limits of using Samplitude Pro on more than one computer?

How does it work with upgrading to a new computer? Can you remove Samplitude from the old computer and have that no longer count as an install?

What about if you reformat?

I want an install in my home studio and one in my laptop. Is there an efficient way to transfer projects back and forth between the two?

For people who have multiple installs, any comments about using the dongle? In an old post someone said it was a pain but gave no specifics. Could that be related to sharing projects between the 2 computers or just keeping track of the dongle?

Do you only get one dongle? I have spare keys to my car and apartment, I'd like one for my studio as well!

Thanks for your time! :huh:

Waterbird

Currently you are prepared to pay the full $1,000 price for one license of Samplitude correct?.... Because for just $100 more you can actually get "two" separate licenses (with two dongles) of Samplitude Pro v8 and two licenses of Samplitude Producer 6.0. I seriously doubt that any multiple license deals you can get will be cheaper than getting another copy of v8 and two licenses of version v6 for $100. :lol:

First you buy Samplitude Producer 6.0 for $150:

http://www.jdsound.com/store/product1.asp?...Product_ID=3367

Then you upgrade from Producer 6.0 to Professional 8 for only $400.

http://www.jdsound.com/store/product1.asp?...Product_ID=3797

That brings you to a total of $550.... So if you want to copies, you can order two of each at the same time to bring your total to $1,100. :lol:

Or if you just want to record on your laptop and mix on your PC, you can just install v6 on the laptop and keep v8 on your PC. Producer 6.0 is over 4 years old (that's how long I have been using it) and it is still a fantastic program! I just upgraded to v8 from v6 about a month ago and while v6 doesn't have the VST support, or any of the new analogue suite effects, etc, it is still a really good program. The sound quality is as good as v8 so if you just want to record your tracks and transfer them to your PC to mix, then this setup should be perfect and it'll save you almost half the price.... That'll leave you some extra money for more gear!! :huh:

-tkr

Guest sebastian.gabler

Hi,

---

first:

sorry, I have to correct Tkr. He is giving a wrong impression.

1. there is no second dongle for 100$ containg a full second license.

2. there is an optional second dongle as an emergency backup. It will have a limited number of starts and then be turned into a full license online replacing your damaged original dongle. This option is 130.-

Note: I like the comparison with the apartment key. However, the dongle is the apartment itself. So in this context, the emergency dongle option is an insurance against all apartment key losses with a temporrary hotelroom until your apartment door can be re-opended.

3. Upgrading prior licenses does not give you an incrementation of license count. It may be that we do not take the original product back for exchange, but on the other hand we also do not provide any new authorisations for the original product, so no new keys for the old version after the upgrade. You may also not sell the original product or the upgrade seperately, e.g. sell the upgrade and keep the original product, then upgrade a second time, or similar.

Bottom line: an upgrade is no independent new license.

This does also imply that you may not run v6 on your laptop while v8 is running on your studio PC in theory. This is formally against the license agreement and the fact that we -lacking the interest nad technical means- do not enforce this, does not imply that it is according to the license agreement.

---

Apart from these rules, license handling of Samplitude and Sequoia V8 is pretty simple:

- You obtain a dongle.

- The dongle has to be activated for the product within 90 days.

-You can install the product on any computer without any limit.

- You obtain a single user license, meaning that you may use the product without restriction on one computer at a time, and as many instances of it as you have CPU resources and Soundcards.

Using more than one instance is btw. a strong feature most of the competing products do not offer.

Best,

Sebastian Gabler

Guest patsplat
What is the current policy and limits of using Samplitude Pro on more than one computer?

How does it work with upgrading to a new computer? Can you remove Samplitude from the old computer and have that no longer count as an install?

What about if you reformat?

Do you only get one dongle? I have spare keys to my car and apartment, I'd like one for my studio as well!

Hi...I haven't upgraded to v8 yet...but as I understand it,you can install v8 on as many machines as you want,but are only given one dongle per license.

***edit***I see Sebastian replied while I was still typing,so there you have it. :huh:

first:

sorry, I have to correct Tkr. He is giving a wrong impression.

1. there is no second dongle for 100$ containg a full second license.

If you buy two separate licenses of Samplitude, at $550 (using the upgrade method I mentioned before) then that does equal out to to $1,100 for two licenses with two dongles.... Which is $100 more than the regular $1000 price for a single license if you were to just buy Samp Pro 8 by itself.

My wording may have been a bit confusing, but that's the main point I was trying to make. :huh:

This does also imply that you may not run v6 on your laptop while v8 is running on your studio PC in theory.

But as long as you aren't using both at the same time then it should be ok, right? So you could have it on your laptop if you don't want to risk having something to your one and only dongle while out and about recording live gigs or traveling with their laptop etc.... Since version 6.0 doesn't use a dongle, you don't have to worry about something happening to it.

-tkr

Guest Waterbird

Many thanks Tkr, Sebastian, and Patsplat for the responses! :lol: That’s great that Samplitude can be loaded as many times as needed. Tkr, that’s a good idea about carrying the dongle-less V6 on the laptop if it’s legal. It seems appropriate if indeed only one is running at a time. I want the whole version with me though, if I’m going to learn a new program I want to be able to work and look at the whole thing. I’m slow enough as it is! :huh:

My concern is dongle loss or malfunction in the middle of a deadline project, so having 2 unique Samplitude Pro’s and 2 dongles [the $1100 scenario] could make things twice as scary, not to mention confusing! I can see how some might find this useful, if it is indeed legal.

Of equal importance is ease of use: I’m a multi-key kind of guy. One dongle safely inserted in a music dedicated computer, another to carry about with my laptop, and a third tucked away in my fireproof safebox. Buying a second key with limited use: okay, if that’s all that’s offered.

My “apartment key” analogy: Sebastian, I don’t see the dongle as the apartment itself, I see it as a locked safe within my apartment with the software inside. I don’t create a CD with the dongle. I can bring my laptop on a trip and get lots of writing done in MS Word, but if I don’t have [or lose] the dongle then it’s no go on the audio. Regarding your hotel room analogy, I’d say the spare limited use key gets me into my actual apartment where my projects are, minus the security of a spare key.

Consider this: Say I have an absentee landlord [Magix]. Say I live in a highly desirable neighborhood [samplitude Pro]. My landlord, in good faith, assumes I will not sublet the apartment to just anybody while I go stay at my girlfriends place in the same neighborhood. However, I still have SEVERAL spare keys to the apartment [$2 at the hardware store], all related to my peace of mind. As for me, I don’t sublet ‘cause it doesn’t seem right to me [i like sleeping at night]. Plus, if there’s a problem with the plumbing, I want a smooth fix from the landlord [that’s why I rent]. Or, if I lock myself out in the middle of the night, I take care of it immediately.

I know this has been beat to death, but I think Magix should rethink their dongle policy. Ultimately this won’t affect my buying the software, but I think they need to extend a little “good faith”. If I’m more inclined to work away from the studio with the laptop because I have a regular spare key or two, that’s more exposure for Magix.

WB :lol: