Snapping

Hey Everyone. I'm new to samplitude. Used Sonar, Acid, Audition/Cool Edit Pro, among others in the past. Used Snapping alot cause i work with drum loops when recording demos. However icant seem to get it to work in Samplitude. I have it set to snap to grid/bars, show the grid lines and snap enabled/active. But still when click on a Wavefrom/object/track, it just selects the whole thing, and still plays from the beginning of the file instead of snaping to the start of the nearest measure and playing from there. Is there a certain mode or something i have to be in? Is there a specific edit tool i have to have selected first? i have tried going into the wave editor mode but it only seems to snap to actual time in there not grid/bars. Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Guest sebastian.gabler

Hi,

by default, Samp is in the Universal Mouse Mode where clicking in the lower Object half selects an object, clicking in the upper half positions the cursor. Snap is a cursor/Object move/Range operation and has nothing to do with the selection of the Object.

What Samplitude version do you refer to btw?

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hey thanks for the info. I am using 8.11. I know snapping doesnt have anything to do with selection. I use it so i can start recording at a certina mesure or insert a drum loop, or split a loop at a certen mesure. Thans how i have always uses it in the pas in other apps. So when i click in the general area of where the measure starts it will snap to the begining of the measure.

But still when click on a Wavefrom/object/track, it just selects the whole thing, and still plays from the beginning of the file instead of snaping to the start of the nearest measure and playing from there.

Selecting an object does not move the cursor position, so it will still play from wherever the cursor is currently located. To snap the cursor to a new position, you either have to click in the grid/ruler bar or if you are in universal mode, click on the upper half of a waveform to move the cursor.

If you have been using the grid bar, also make sure that you are only clicking on the bottom grid bar. The grid bar is split in to "two" bars, the top one is blank and the bottom other has timing position numbers. The top one doesn't follow the snapping movements and the bottom one does. So you can move in both snapped and un-snapped modes depending on which tool bar you click in without having to toggle the snap mode on and off.

If you have also done that, then you may be zoomed out to far to see that it is snapping to a location. Try zooming in further and see if it looks like it is snapping to the grid.

If it still doesn't look like it's snapping, try going into the "Snap and Grid Setup" option (right-click on the toolbar) and under the Snap/Grid options, make sure the Partition is set to 1. This will snap to every beat. If you want to snap to every measure, then change the Numerator to 1 instead of 4.

One of these things should (hopefully) work. lol :huh:

-tkr

OK now i am a lil confused. I understand that if u are inuniversal mode. Clicking in the top have of the waveform/object, weill snap or move the cursor to that point. Clicking in the lower half will select the wavefrom/object. But then some thing was said to the efect of , if using Snap to grid/bars then i would have click in the lower have where the grid lines have timing numbers??? Did i understand that part correctly? Is that also in universal mode? Cuz that didnt sem to work whenitried it. Also the other thing i was a lil confused about, If you want it to snap to each beat, Then partitions should be set to 1. But if u would like it to snap to each measure then Change the partition setting from 1 to 4?? is that correct? Let me know

Thanks

Sorry, I was tired when I replied and I should have written explained some of that better. :huh:

if using Snap to grid/bars then i would have click in the lower have where the grid lines have timing numbers??? Did i understand that part correctly? Is that also in universal mode? Cuz that didnt sem to work whenitried it.

Here's a pic to help describe it....

http://www.artistcollaboration.com/users/t...tomGridBars.JPG

Where the yellow print is, if you click up in the top half of the grid, it will not follow the snapping. Clicking in the lower half where the red print is, should follow the snap to grid you have setup.

Also the other thing i was a lil confused about, If you want it to snap to each beat, Then partitions should be set to 1. But if u would like it to snap to each measure then Change the partition setting from 1 to 4?? is that correct?

The first part is correct, the partitions divide the number of steps between each beat (not measures but "beats"). If you have the partition set to 1 then there will be only one snap "step" for each beat. If you set it the partition to 2, then there will be two snap steps for every beat, and so on.

I actually mentioned changing the Numerator the second time (not Partition). But when I mentioned using the Numerator before to change snapping to each measure, I was partially incomplete in my info... Because you would have to do a bit more setup to get it to line up with your current project, so it would probably be easier to stick with snapping to every beat. So forget everything I said about that! LOL :lol:

So is it still not working? Have you tried zooming way in to make sure that you are snapping? If you are zoomed out to far it may not look like you are snapping to anything, since the snap steps are so close together.

-tkr

Thank You os much for all the info. I am getting now. I understand what u wre saying about the partions and snapping to beats. However if u dontmind going into the details about snapping tomesure that would be great as well.

I used acidized drum loops in acid to build drum tracks. I set them to the temp i want and export them from acid as a .wav and import or load them into Samplitude and setitng the project temp to match the temp of the drum .wav file. I know this works for when i record with the metronome everything seems to be in sync. So when working my way through the project it would jsut make like easier to be able to snap to measure for the most part. Thats kinda what i am used to doin in all the other aps i have used.

So let me see if I understand what u were saying before. Partitions is still set to 1. However the Numerato u were refering to is that the "Selected range s beats" feild? Should i change that 4 to a 1? Anything else i would need to do.

Thanks again for the Info and anymore u can provide will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

However if u dontmind going into the details about snapping tomesure that would  be great as well.

Alright, so far this is the only way I have found to do it, but maybe someone else can chime in with an easier way.

The Numerator is under the Bar/BPM section and when you change the numerator, you are actually changing the tempo of your song (not the snap step increments). If you change the Numerator to 1 then every "beat" turns into 1 measure. In other words your tempo quadruples. So now the snap steps will snap to every measure, but your tempo is still to fast. Therefore, after setting the Numerator to 1 you have to divide your tempo by 4. So if your original tempo is 120bpm, the new one would be 30bpm. This should put the measures back in the same time that they used to be at and now the snap steps will follow each measure.

After changing the tempo it should ask if you want to readjust the audio in your project to conform to the new tempo (or something like that), say "NO" otherwise all your audio will be time stretched and everything will be all messed up. :huh:

It's kind of a pain, which is why I was saying it would probably be easier to just leave it snapping to every beat. :lol: I don't know if there is an easier way, as I'm just experimenting myself trying to figure out how to get it to snap to measures (I've always left it snapping to each beat)... But from what I can tell, this is the only way to do it.

Another thing, there is also a bug in Samp right now (at least with v8.2) where if you have the transport set to Bar/Beats and you change the Numerator to 1, when you zoom in to a certain point Samplitude will freeze and crash. I posted about it in the registered users forum and they said it is already been fixed for the next update which is in beta testing now. So hopefully in the next few weeks we should get the corrected update.

Hope that helps. :lol:

-tkr

OK Everyone. Once again Thanks very much i do belive i got it figured out now. TKR thanks for the explanation on getting it to snap to the measure. it makes perfect sense to me and i see what u are sying. I do belive i'll just stick to snapping to each beats for now like u said. I changed the timeline to display in beats and measures and zoomed in enough so it shows each eat of each measure so i can jsut easily snap to the begining of the measure i would like. That seems to be working for now. And yes its not so much that the snap is zoom dependant, but more if u have a long project and u are zoomed out all the way then its not showing enough detial for u to snap to each and every beat, so it will snap to the nearest beat to where u click when zoomed out full. Thanks again for all the help. And if u could on the registered forum post a few suggestions for feature additons in future versions of samplitude for me.

1) The Option to snap to both measures and each beat. (heck the option to snap to measure, Whole, Half, Auarter, eigth, Sisteenth, Thirtysecond, notes etc would be cool too.)

2) The ability to reocnize and work with some looping technology, such as acidized loops or Apple Loops etc.

Thans Again

2) The ability to reocnize and work with some looping technology, such as acidized loops or Apple Loops etc.

What exactly are "acidized" loops? I have heard the term and I have used the demo version of ACID, but never got to involved with it. Does ACID have it's own format that allows programs to recognize and automatically create loops in your recording program?

I don't ever work with looping programs, so I guess you could say I'm kind of out of the "loop" on these. :huh:

However, one thing I do know is that Samplitude does have a similiar method to the ACID "paint" style looping. Double click an object to open the object editor and click Pitchshifting/Timestretching on the left-hand side. Wnder the "Object Loop" section, check the "Loop On" option and press ok to exit the object editor. Now back in the VIP grab the bottom right node on the object (that would normally be used to trim the end of the object) and stretch it out.... This will keep creating loops of the object in a very similiar way to ACID. At any time you can grab that node and adjust the number of loops, and if you didn't get the loop right and you need to make fine adjustments, go back into the object editor and uncheck the "Loop On" box. This will reset it to the original object and you can trim it to the size that you want, then re-activate the loop and stretch it back out to make your loop.

A very easy way to creat loops within Samp. :lol:

-tkr

1) The Option to snap to both measures and each beat. (heck the option to snap to measure, Whole, Half, Auarter, eigth, Sisteenth,        Thirtysecond, notes etc would be cool too.)

Ok, this one's done.... I just posted a list of fixes in the support forum that I would like to see and this was one of them.....

"A way to snap to each measure (instead of each beat like it currently is). It would be nice if "Partitions" in the Snap and Grid Setup options worked in measures instead of beats. That way if the partition was set to 1 that would equal a whole note, 2 would be a half note, 4 would be a quarter note, etc... This would be the best and easiest way to change the snap increments and it would make a lot more sense than the current setup."

-tkr

Guest sebastian.gabler
Woah, what happened to my previous post? And Sebastians?

I was getting weird error messages for a while when trying to access this forum, so I guess something happened so that it lost all posts around that time?

There seems to have been a database hickup.

Never mind. my point was that the snap is apparently zoom dependent ant that is is no use to change the whole tempo for this.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Yeah i was getting wierd erro messages too, so it probably was some kind of "server hickup". And thanks for the Post about the partions in future versions, and also explainging how to drag loops in Samplitude. I was wondering if i could do the same by just right clicking on the loop and checking the "loop object" option, or do i have to go into the object editor like u said?

Ok now let me try to explain "Acidized" Loops. They are usually .wav (but can be any format that acid reconizes i have found some mp3 acidized loops as well) That have extra info embedded in the file so to speak. The .wav file will still be reconized and played by ur audio playback software (itunes, Musicmatch, Windows Media,etc) But when opened in ACID or another program that reconizes Acidized loops. The tempo of the file chenages to match the tempo of the project, or tempo marker by which its inserted. I believe that in some programs u can set it to change the project temp to match the native tempo of the loops. Acidized loops can also be "beatmapped" or "beatmarked", which basically has markers at each beat, and give u a lil bit more flexibilty in haw far u can slow them down before they start sound artifical or have artifacts. The other cool feature in Acid and several other programs is some kind of a beat slicer that lets u slice and dice ur loops into halves, quarters etc. etc. etc. So it would be cool if Samplitude was one of the many program that reconized Acidized loops (or similar looping format like apple loops, .Rex or .cel) Cuz then i would have to take that extra step of exporting it as a .wav from Acid at the tempo i need it at before importing it into Samplitude. it would makes life especially easier when u are working with a song that has multiple tempo changes.

Incase you are wondering about the other loop formats mentioned.

Apple Loops - Created by Apple for use with their Apple Logic and GarageBand audio software. I'm not sure what other programs is any support it. But as of late seems to be the most popular alternatives to acidized loops, as lots of loop makers have started suppoting it.

.rex - Native to reason, but i have heard of a few other programs that supported it in the past. Doesnt seem to be as popular anymore outside of reason but i could be wrong. Tho from what i hear gives u extreme flexibility in how much u can speed up and slow down a particular loop, without complications.

.cel - Cool Edit loops, or as its now known Audition Loops, for use in adobe Audition,formerly Cool Edit. They are basically a somewhat proprietry format taht is basically comprised of beat mapped and tempo info wrapped up in a high quality 32bit 44.1 khz mp3 pro file if i remeber correctly.

Sorry about the short novel i jsut wrote, but i hope that explains everything. And Thans again for all the info.

Guest sebastian.gabler

Hi,

check out our Remix Agent. Does similar things.

About the Object loop options and other things with objects: please read the "Introduction to Object based editing" and Object Editor chapters in the help file. That gives you some fundamental backround. Objects may require some gentle "brainwashing" to fully get the idea behind it.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Guest patsplat
However, one thing I do know is that Samplitude does have a similiar method to the ACID "paint" style looping. Double click an object to open the object editor and click Pitchshifting/Timestretching on the left-hand side. Wnder the "Object Loop" section, check the "Loop On" option and press ok to exit the object editor. Now back in the VIP grab the bottom right node on the object (that would normally be used to trim the end of the object) and stretch it out.... This will keep creating loops of the object in a very similiar way to ACID. At any time you can grab that node and adjust the number of loops, and if you didn't get the loop right and you need to make fine adjustments, go back into the object editor and uncheck the "Loop On" box. This will reset it to the original object and you can trim it to the size that you want, then re-activate the loop and stretch it back out to make your loop.

A very easy way to creat loops within Samp. :lol:

-tkr

hmm...that's odd... works great in v6 studio and v8.11 demo **edit**as well as the v7.1 and 7.21 demo's**but doesn't seem to be working in v7.23a pro(I never tried to use that feature till now).It wants to timestretch the object if the "loop on" is checked or not.All three(**5**) object editors say the same info in the object loop section.I must have something set different somewhere :huh:

(sigh)time to bust out the manual :lol:

Guest sebastian.gabler

Hi,

the "Master" here is the Mouse Mode. If the timestretch Mouse Mode is on, the Object length is extended by Stretch, not by Loop (with the Loop option checked) or by normal lenth extension to the end of the file refered to. The Mouse Mode overrides the Object parameters.

I guess the workflow therefore must be to Trim the Object to one Bar, Stretch it to the tempo desired, (then return to Universal, "V4" or Object Mouse Mode!) and then Loop it.

Bye,

Sebastian

Guest patsplat
Hi,

the "Master" here is the Mouse Mode. If the timestretch Mouse Mode is on, the Object length is extended by Stretch, not by Loop (with the Loop option checked) or by normal lenth extension to the end of the file refered to. The Mouse Mode overrides the Object parameters.

Hah!...That was it :lol: It was set to Pitch Shift-/Time Stretch Mode.(I must have changed it by accident :huh: )

Thanx Sebastian :lol: