Considering Crossgrade: Questions

Guest wilcofan

Guest wilcofan

Hey all,

Is there a way to select multiple objects without using the mouse? I'm discovering a workflow I'd missed before as a Samp owner (I sold it but am considering coming back, they still have a nice crossgrade) but I REALLY like working without a mouse. Seems like I can do everything with objects, cursor, and range except select multiple objects. For instance, in any Explorer window the way you can Shift+Arrow to add more to your selection.

Second, how do you cycle through open plugins?

Thanks,

Bobby

Guest sebastian.gabler

Hello Bobby,

the first is a clear "Yes". You can, e.g. select all Objects covered by a Range. (See the according option in the Object menu)

Furthermore, the new V8 Object Manager even gives you the option to select Objects filtered by certain properties, as Name, Track, PlugIn, Samplerate, position, and so on and so on.

With number two, I don't understand what you want to do.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Guest wilcofan

Sebastian,

Thanks for responding. OK, number two question meant if I have three plugins open how do I cycle through them? I'm used to a Ctrl+Tab function for child windows cycling.

Also, I'm messing with the Elastic Audio in the demo, a definite selling point for me, and one paramter I don't grasp totally yet, even after reading the Help section. It's the Smooth Contour. I understand the Smooth Curve paramter, that's in real-time and is like a hard or soft fade in of the processing. I also hear the effects of the Smooth Contour when I hit "Tune" in that section and play with the parameter. Is it possible to create a smooth Contour with a tool? Is the Smooth Contour only available once you've hit "Tune"?

I'm used to the "relaxed or strict" knob in graphic Autotune, or grabbing the note and pulling towards the center of the note in Melodyne. My intended result is less than a straight-line effect of tuning. The straight line tool in the Elastic Editor seems less useful without a parameter telling it how hard to go for the new target line. You understand me?

Bobby

Guest wilcofan

tekkerue,

Thanks for the response. No, I'm there already, I have the "Direct" section open. My question is about the new parameter that pops up..."contour smooth". That's the parameter, as far as I can tell, that's like the relaxed or strict in Autotune.

So what's up with this parameter, is it only available as an offline process? By pressing the "Tune!" button? The other paramter, "curve smooth" seems realtime. I just want to understand this the best before judging pitch results.

Intuitively I'm reaching for the line tool and drawing where it needs some help in pitch, but my result is too strict. I can get the result I'm expecting only by relaxing the "contour smooth" knob and pressing "Tune!". I'm not complaining as much as confused since in Autotune I'm used to straight lines drawn to only mean a target, to be determined by how relaxed or strict it's "going for".

Is this correct to assume the line tool is ONLY meant for an ultra-strict effect?

Guest sebastian.gabler
Is this correct to assume the line tool is ONLY meant for an ultra-strict effect?

In direct mode, yes. In relative mode, no.

Bsides that, all parameters are "realtime" the smooth parameter is a per-pitch-slice setting. (applies on the slices selected)

The main difference is that the efficiency of this paramemter is much higher than in Autotune. That becomes most visible in the "hands" demo on the installation CD, where we used Elastic Audio to make a perfect "Cher" voice, but reating vibrato in the places where you want it. That you can not do with Autotune. All vibrato is gone...

Cheers,

Sebastian

Ok, I see what you're saying now.... When I first read that part it sounded like you were working with the flat lined "Relative" mode, but I think I read that too fast. lol

I tend to agree that the flat line tool isn't very useful, and I have never used it. lol In the little bit I have used Elastic Audio, I have split the object (inside Elastic Audio, not the object itself in the VIP) at the points I want to shift and slid the whole object up or down to the pitch I wanted, then from there use the draw tool to re-shape anything that needs to be fixed within the object. This method seems to work very well for me.

I tried the Autotune 4 demo less than a month ago and didn't really dig the "relaxed/strict" knob in Autotune as I prefer to tell it exactly what pitch I want it to be and when it gets to that pitch.

-tkr

Guest wilcofan

Thanks guys,

Actually, the results I'm looking for come from the "Contour Smooth" being somewhat relaxed and pressing "Tune!". It looks like you can apply that to whatever object is highlighted = only the bad notes. A different approach than I'm used to but the results are very good. I'm impressed with Elastic Audio.

Last thing that's been sticking out with me and the demo:

How do I turn down the volume of the scrub? Can this be routed to an independent output?

Bobby

Guest sebastian.gabler

Hi Bobby.

How do I turn down the volume of the scrub? Can this be routed to an independent output?

At the moment, I wouldn't see how. Is there any dramatic difference to normal? I man, you could Solo the track you desire.

Cheers

SG

Guest wilcofan

At the moment, I wouldn't see how. Is there any dramatic difference to normal?

I got used to Cubase/Nuendo's ability to turn down the scrub volume because I liked it OFF. The cursor's behavior with scrub and shuttle commands is more flexible but I don't need to hear it. Rather than nudge commands I've developed a style of editing where objects jump to cursor. Fade ins and outs are to and from cursor as well. With this I need as much fine and coarse control of the cursor as I can get.

Samplitude certainly offers good nudge options so it's not like another style couldn't develop. But you know how it is with habits...

So far I like that Samplitude seems to deliver what it promises. Thanks for responding, you've been very helpful.

Guest sebastian.gabler

Hello,

If you need that functionality badly, take a macro editor and define the Mute funtion together with the scrub hitkey. Then it will always mut the output. But- there is also a scroll fuction that "scrubs silently" anyhow.

Cheers,

Sebastian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest wilcofan

Sebastian,

I've had my Crossgrade for a while and am still under the 90 days grace period of the Codemeter dongle.

I've tried to follow instructions on how to activate registration but I cannot get the web address to work, even on a friend's PC running Internet Explorer 6.

Both the website and the program's Activation window suggest going to this address (I've left out my own particulars):

http://www.samplitude.com/redirects/samreq....xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

But there's a "Not Found" result.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bobby

Guest wilcofan

I have tried on two PC's now. This address I'm directed to on my Samplitude Activation Window only brings me here:

"The requested URL /redirects/samreq.php was not found on this server."

Is there any known problems with registering through this site?

Bobby

• 1 month later...
Guest wilcofan
What is you firewall doing? Are you allowed to SSL and do you accept certificates?

This computer at work is Windows 2000 with Internet Explorer 5.5. It was connected until today with a hardware firewall but we've removed it now. I'll be installing a software firewall today but before that I'm trying to register my Sam8 dongle and software.

I cannot find definitive answer but as far as I know there is no firewall included with Windows 2000. I'm on SP4.

I still cannot use the link provided in the Samplitude Activation window from my studio computer.

I don't know what SSL or Certificates are.

Any ideas? I only have about 25 days left for Activation.

Thanks,

Bobby McAlister