Recommended Mobo and Processor

Jeffrey

Hello, I am evaluating my existing PC for compatibility with V8.2. Current situation: Onboard sound card is not compatible with the demo so I cannot evaluate Sam's performance on this box. The demo causes the blue screen of death unless I disable the onboard sound card. I am considering getting a separate sound card and disabling the onboard to test, then acquiring a fireface800 for use as the external soundcard.

Before I do all of that I thought I should verify that my mobo and processor are compatible. It appears I have a P4 with a 915 chipset. What is the recommended (ideal) processor and mobo combination that Magix would build if you were doing it?

Thanks!

Guest sebastian.gabler

Hello Jeffrey,

The demo causes the blue screen of death unless I disable the onboard sound card.

FYI: the common sense about BSODs is that they are NOT caused on application level, but on low level by the driver itself. So, there is something wrong with the driver. Propably it doesn't support the Samplerate/Resolution you have specified in the System Settings. You should be able to change to ASIO and set everything there, as ASIO drivers are usually less critical with resolution settings as theay are 32Bit anyhow.

Regarding a good MoBo/CPU combination: actually all processors that are compatible with a 915chipset MoBo are good for SAM. It depends on your budget.

We have good experience with original Intel MoBos.

BR,

Sebastian Gabler

I agree with your summation. Assuming I'm in the right area within Samplitude to make the change to ASIO, Options-System-Driver System, after selecting ASIO there is no device listed under ASIO device. Will this work, or do I need to install something else to utilize ASIO drivers?

Thanks!

Hi Sebastian,

If budget weren't an issue, what would you consider to be the most robust processor/mobo combo in general for a DAW? I have the option of using my existing machine but may opt to preserve it as a music station for the living room by configuring a new box. I realize you may not want to state an absolute. I'm just looking for some information to research to bring me closer to getting my new setup.

Thanks again!

Jeffrey

Guest sebastian.gabler

Hello jeffrey,

the realtek chip IMHO does not support ASIO. So, you can't use ASIO with that, as you said.

Try: WDM, 16bit adressing. If it crashes again, try MME, 16bit. If it still crashes, look for an updated driver.

Cheers,

Sebastian

BSOD: What soundcard?

Best bang processor: Intel p4 Extreme edition: Extremely powerful, extremely hot and extremely expensive.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Well, I recommend for Samplitude Professional. 8.x a processor AMD Athlon 64/FX (single or dual core of 2.2 GHz or higer), 2.2 GHz RAM or higer and MSI K8N Neo 4-F Mainboard

REALLY I've tested Sam. Pro. 8 in my PC (AMD Athlon 64/FX 2.2 GHz and 2.2 GHz RAM) and Sam. slides like on the snow :blink:

Luck in your job!!

Cherrs

Juan

Nothing like real world experience to build confidence! How much RAM are you running?

Thanks Juan!

Jeffrey, you wellcome :blink:

Well i'm working with audio and video since augost 2001,

And I know what is the btter for my job, I was to consuling to master in hardware, who have helped me much.

The 4 bassic elemts to get full power in your job is:

a good Processor (cache, Ghz, etc)

a good lot of Memory

a Mainboard compatible 100% with processor and

a Good configuration of all

Juan