help required with sluggish mixer response

tryingout

I am trying out a demo of ver 8.0

I loaded up the demo song, and it plays fine, only using a max. 40% of CPU.

However, fader moves,solo's and mute's do not respond immediately. There is up to a second delay on moving a fader of having the volume change, or for solos or mutes to come on.

I have tried differentbuffer settings but nothing works.

Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do to fix it.

I am using a Athlon 64 3200 and 1gig of ram, so Id expect that with the low (relatively) CPU usage I should be getting no problems.

Any help appreciated....thank you.

Guest sebastian.gabler

Hello,

that behaviour is quite typical. You can optimize it within a certain range however:

Set the ASIO buffer to around 512smpls.

then open the system settings (y key) and set the VIP buffers to 512~2048smpls

This should do it.

Other than that, you have to observe, that the Project contains a lot of high latency FX like FFT and Convolution Reverb. This latency is compensated for and therfore deterimines the latency of the whole mixer by ratio. Choose the snapshot "noFX" for a moment, and you will see the difference immediately.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Ok, I tried those settings out, didnt make much difference at all.

Its a real shame, I want to buy and use Samplitude, but I cant live with this mixer latency. I mean, it dosent seem right, as no other software I have used has had this problem, even when getting close to maxing out the CPU. And as I said, the demo is averaging only 40% of the CPU in this case with Samplitude. Any other suggestions ? thanks.

Guest sebastian.gabler

Hello,

if you are not experiencing ANY difference, there is something different on your specific system. Most propably, there is still any latency fx active. Once these are turned off, you must see the difference. It will be quite obvious.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hi

I'm not sure if this will help you. I've been using Samplitude for 6 months now with no problems. I just tried the demo out and did not experience any problems you had what so ever. My system is almost identical to yours. For me it took a bit of work trying out different buffer sizes and since then I have had no problems.

I have the buffer set to 4096

HD Scrub buffer 1024

HD performance preview time for caching: 6 seconds

preload play at start - preload minimum

And preload file cache during Play stop ticked.

Hope this is of some help

Noised

Guest sebastian.gabler

fair enough. Samplitude is not the program with the lowest latency.

However, the FX latency is no design flaw but physics. You will propably experience the same on all platforms. Lantencies like Compressor look ahead are never shorter than the amount of samples they have. And there are a couple of these alone in the Demo Project with 12000 smpl look ahead.

Concerning the mixer latency apart from the FX only the VIP buffer counts.

Cheers,

Sebastian

• 11 months later...

Hi folks..

just did a search on this forum and came up with this post...I have a ? regarding CPU %.

I load up the demo vip with Sam9 on my core2duo 2.66Ghz CPU with 2Gigs ram, and my CPU usage for the demo song gets to about 36%!??!? That seems really incredibly high!

Whereas a similar project when I run SX only peaks at about 10%-12%!!

Even at ASIO buffer 1024 and VIP Buffer 2048....same CPU %. I mean, the project only has about 8 plugs running...

any ideas? Or perhaps it's normal?