Midi Instrument patch names

Yodelor

Hello, I'm trying the Samplitude V8 demo.

I'm using a Yamaha Motif ES8 as my midi sound module, and I need a way to choose the patches in it from Samplitude so the midi track will play the sound I want for that track. Couldn't find anything about it in the manual (that I could understand). :blink:

In Sonar they have "instrument definition" files you can load in........so something like that.

Anyway I am anxious to get Samplitude and hope there is a way to know if this is possible beforehand.

thank you,

Yodelor

Guest FrankProposch

There is no way yet to see the patch names of external gear despite GeneralMidi conform devices.

Nevertheless, you can select any patch of your Motif using the program change and bank change MIDI commands. You can setup the bank/program change in the track settings or even per object if you want.

Every MIDI synth interprets the bank change a little different, therefore there is no general rule how the patches are mapped within banks, but if you try bank hi or bank low with 0 or 1 and program 1, you should be able to figure out how it works.

Basically, there are two values for bank change (hi and low Byte), because this way gives you access up to 128*128 = 16384 banks, each with 128 programs/patches.

Greetings,

Frank

Frank,

thank you very much for the help! I will go fiddle with it to see what I can do.

I have to say though, that it's a big let down for a $1000 program with a nice palette

of midi editing features to drop the ball here. Are the midi editing tools just an incidental after-thought to a program that was designed mainly for audio tracks? Or am I missing something?????

Is using an external hardware sound source considered archaic now? Do people just

not work this way anymore. For me, all the other nice midi edit features become useless

if I can't quickly try out different patches (and KNOW which patch I'm selecting) to get

the right sound - this seems like a critical feature, especially for the price tag. Again, I just can't help wondering what

I am missing here - that this is not important to MAGIX?????????

I was pretty excited about samplitude, and almost got my credit card out. I'm glad I didn't.

:blink: I guess it's back to cakewalk for me. But thanks again Frank, for your kind help.

Yodelor