Samplitude and Orchestral Sequencing?

I am a long-time user of Red Roaster (Samplitude Master). Now I need an audio sequencer, and I would like to use Samplitude Professional.

Could anyone comment on how suitable it is for orchestral scoring, using Kontakt and other VSTi's.

Also, how will it work for orchestral scoring to video, compared to other softwares such as Cubase SX3?

And what about the suitability for pop and R&B sequencing, using software samplers etc? Any user experiences there?

Thanks for any advice.

Hans

I have tried the Sampitude Professional 8.11 Demo now, and it makes me doubtful.

I loaded a 14 sec .avi clip with "media link". The video is running ahead of the sound so that the video ends 2 seconds before the sound.

The manual describes that "media link" will only make Samplitude and video start simultaneously, but that they will not be synced. Then, contrary to this, the manual also says:

"Synchronization to Audio playback

Synchronizes the new media link (e.g. AVI-Files) with the existing VIP"

1. So is there sync, or not?

One other concern for scoring to picture:

The manual advises to use a video format which "only contains key frames if possible. (DiVX or MPEG are not suitable). MAGIX’ own MXV format is recommended, as this format is optimized for realtime processing."

2. Will I not be able to score to a video format that includes all frames?

3. I am also concerned about the lack of a "conductor track" for tempo mapping. Is there a workaround that will give me the same functionality in v.8?

4. Finally, I read somewhere that there is no automation. Is this regarding to fader movements etc.?

I have been using Red Roaster for sound editing for 7 years, and love it. I hope it will be possible for me to use Samplitude Professional also for this purpose.

Thanks,

Hans Adamson

Art Vista Productions

Guest Fifthcircle

Haven't seen these issues with media link. Your file should load in with the audio starting at the very first frame of the VIP. From there it shouldn't drift unless you've got some sort of clocking issue causing the audio to play back at the wrong sample rate.

To answer some questions:

1. If you're working inside the box, you shouldn't have sync issues. If you're working with an outside deck, make sure your video and clock are referencing the same blackburst and that your SMPTE to MTC converter is referencing the clock. Then work in punchin mode for best reliability.

2. Not sure what you mean here.... Don't use MPEG format as it doesn't contain full frames for every frame. Video Deluxe (which comes with Samp and Sequoia) can convert to whatever formats you want and need.

3. Can't help you there, I only mix audio and don't deal with any sort of midi, etc...

4. There is automation on faders and pans and some automation on VST plugins. There is not aux send automation (a popular request). There is also object-based automation wich is a form of fancy clip-based automation. I personally use that for all of my work. I much prefer it to the fader stuff.

--Ben

Thanks Ben,

Regarding question 2: The v8 manual recommends using a video format which "only contains Key frames"

If there were only to be key frames I assume there will not be all frames?

The other contradictory statement in the manual about Media Link: "Linked" means that the linked media files are played back simultaneously with the Samplitude project and that no synchronization occurs."

But this must be wrong I hope?

Thanks again.

Hans

Guest FrankProposch
3. I am also concerned about the lack of a "conductor track" for tempo mapping. Is there a workaround that will give me the same functionality in v.8?

You can set tempo markers in the time/position ruler. There are also rit. (interpolating) tempo markers and also beat markers which specify a position instead of a tempo. With these, you can adapt the musical tempo to recorded audio.

So you plan to have a video display with the score while editing?

Greetings,

Frank

I'll second Hans' question and request - is a tempo track planned? The ability to graphically edit a tempo track and/or a tool to "drag" tempo changes to cue points from the main timeline is extremely useful for composing. Markers work for simple tempo changes within simpler arrangements, but are more time consuming for scoring to picture, or adapting midi/VSTi arrangements, loops, or even just a click track to a live performance.

Guest FrankProposch

You can move the tempo markers, and the grid adapts to this while moving the mouse (since Version 8.3).

You can set a beat position marker easily while ALT-clicking in the ruler (in timestretch-mouse mode) and immediately move the marker while keeping ALT pressed -> adjust the beat grid to your audio. Since you can create tempo/position markers anywhere, they can be used as cue points.

This workflow is of course especially usefull for adjusting the tempo to a video (post pro). You can specify wether any midi objects, audio objects and/or other (tempo) markers should follow tempo changes (i.e. while moving tempo markers). All this works even in the Samplitude SE (the smallest) version also, but not in the current 8.11 demo version...

Greetings,

Frank