Loading Wavs from another program

Guest redddog

Guest redddog

All I want to do is load wavs into a new project so that when I open the poject up, the wavs are there. They are 44.1 24bit files and I need them to load into a 96k project. After much time and frustration, I have not been able to do this. And is there a way to see at what latency you are running? Any help would be appreciated.

All I've been able to do is listen to the demo. It sure sounds good though. If I don't throw the DAW out of the window, it should work out.

Guest andy-opf

hi redddog,

in sam 8.3 normally an wav-file with different parameters than the vip will be resampled. if you load the audio-file (i.e. wav 24bit/44.1khz) into your project (96khz), there appears a dialog which asks you if you want to resample your file or fit existing files to the samplingrate of the new file or leave file unchanged (i would suggest to resample the file).

Now you can see the waveforms in your vip with the comment "Resample".

While playing them, they will be resampled in realtime (quality loss).

(To play your vip correctly you need a soundcard supporting your 96 khz. otherwise there will be an error-message. to keep a better quality for your music files, i suggest to resample them before loading them into the vip.)

Any latency will be internally corrected. If you additionally run VSTs or FXs, their latencies are drawn on the left bottom Statusbar near DSP: and Disk: percentage.

hope it could help you.

andy

Guest Stephen

Resampling is a critical process. It needs a good algorithm for best results. Realtime resampling inside the VIP is not the best choice. Batch resample the wavs before you import them with the ultra resample quality preset in Sam.

Guest redddog

Thanks so much for the responses guys. I totally understand about the resampling process and I'll try it.

My other question was about how to import files correctly. I finnaly just loaded the files as their native 44.1/24 form. They loaded fine and played but at the beginning of the song, the sound would go in and out. No clicks or pops but just in and out. The funny thing is that the CPU meter read 2-5% and the disk meter read 100%. To me, that means that the files weren't loaded properly and that caused to disk meter to read at 100% and drop out a little. What do you think?

Thanks again for the help!

Guest redddog

ok. I know what's happening. I just don't know how to fix it. The wavs that I loaded never make it past the disk drive. So I can load wavs into a project from a CD but they never make it off the CD. So if I load them into a project that way, and then take the CD out of the cd drive, then nothing will play. So the wavs are streaming from the disk drive. I want the wavs to not have to stream from the disk drive but rather be IN the project, so that evry time I bring up the project, the files are there. Not streaming from the disk, but there in the project.

Now there MUST be a way to do this. And if I find a way to do this, is there a way to open a bunch at once instead of 1 at a time. All I want to do is load these into.. say my d: drive which is the 300gig audio drive. that's all. I've tried to batch pocess the files and repeatedly get a crash warning that prompts me either to close the project(which erases everything) or close the program(which closes samp and erases everything).

Any ideas?

Guest andy-opf

hi redddog,

you have to copy the audio-tracks from your cd onto your preferred hard drive (300 gigs might be enough...). sam has an procedure to copy selected tracks from a not copy protected cd into your preferred destination.

select file/load Audio-CD-Tracks

then a window appears in which you can select, which tracks you want to copy. you also have the possibility to play selected tracks, to choose the quality of copying and a lot more...just look by yourself.

after pressing "copy selected tracks" you will be asked, where to save the tracks. now you enter the preferred destination (best place is a subfolder in your project folder) and copy.

if you still have problems, please write your exact workaround so we can copy and maybe find your mistake...

good luck! :unsure:

Guest andy-opf

hi redddog,

another hint to sam's VIP: all data you see there are small readouts of the wave form and behind them there are only links to wav-files. no wave-file will be direct copied into VIP. Thats the great advantage of sam's VIP: non-destructive work!!

Only when you track-bounce your finished VIP or freeze selected objects in your VIP there will be a new file created. All source files will be unchanged when you only work in VIP and don't choose destructive actions (will be told you if you want to do so).

cu, andy

Guest redddog

Andy,

First of all, thanks so much for your help. I feel like I'm getting close.

Could you explain to me how the project files for the demo may have gotten into the demo and come up whenever you open the project. It seems like the project files were loaded directly to the project and not streamed from another destination whether it be the HD or a disk. That's what I'm looking to do so if the process you're describing gets me there, I'll be set.

Lastly, when I go to the "load-audio-cd-tracks" will I be able to load all the files in one pass or will I have to do one at a time? It seems like I tried this once and it wouldn't let me select more than one file at at time. And when I did, it would bring up a single wav file right there, not loaded into a project just right there.

Anyway, I'll get it and I appreciate the help.

Could you explain to me how the project files for the demo may have gotten into the demo and come up whenever you open the project. It seems like the project files were loaded directly to the project and not streamed from another destination whether it be the HD or a disk. That's what I'm looking to do so if the process you're describing gets me there, I'll be set.

The files for the demo project are streaming off of the hard drive the files aren't stored directly in the Samplitude project. When you load a wave file into a project, Samplitude saves the folder location that the file is stored in and reads it off of your hard drive. This information is saved with the project so that when you open the project, Samplitude knows where the project folder is that has all of the wave files and loads them automatically. If you move a file out of the project folder, Samplitude will give a message saying that it cannot find the file and then gives you the option to search for the file on your hard drive.... In which case you would have to tell Samplitude the location of the file that you moved, then it will load it into the project.

To see the demo project's wave files.... Go to the folder where you installed samplitude and go to the "Audio" folder and then "samplitude demo 2004". That is where all the wave files for the demo are. The wave files are arranged in folders according to the instrument, so you'll see folders called guitars, strings, vocals, etc.... Then if you want to verify that Samplitude streams the wave files off of the hard drive, rename the extension on one of the wave files from .wav to .somethingelse. :unsure: Reload the demo and you should get a message saying that Samplitude cannot find the file when it tries to load it. Then rename the file back to .wav and re-open the project and it should load just fine again.

Lastly, when I go to the "load-audio-cd-tracks" will I be able to load all the files in one pass or will I have to do one at a time? It seems like I tried this once and it wouldn't let me select more than one file at at time. And when I did, it would bring up a single wav file right there, not loaded into a project just right there.

I have never used the load audio cd tracks option. I have a program called AudioGrabber that I have used to copy the files off of CD's onto my hard drive. Then I use the "open wave" option to load the wave files into Samplitude. Using that method you can load all of the files in one pass. I imagine that load audio cd tracks would load them all in one pass also, but I'm not sure.

Hope that helps. :D

-tkr

Guest redddog

Tekkerue.

Thank you, it helps a great deal. So if the wavs are stored to the HD, I can expect that the disk meter will drop substantially. Right now, the disk meter was reading 100% and causing drops. This, I believe was because the wavs were being streamed from the cd.

Guest quicksound

Reddog:

It's easy to use the "load audio CD tracks" function for transferring several files at once. All you need to do is select the ones you want by control-clicking each one, or if you want them all, use the "select all" button.

Cheers.

Guest redddog

Got it going! I ended up openeing up a new project and picking a designated drive. Then I minimized the project, went into the D: drive where I set up the project and opened the new project folder. I then pasted the contents of the cd wavs into the new project folder. Then maximized the project and loaded the wavs into the project from the HD and BOOM! It worked perfectly.

I'm amazed at how much better the pereformance is than what I'm used to. A project I was working on in SONAR was getting 5.3ms of latency and 35-50% CPU, is now getting 1ms of latency and CPU of 2-8%. It sounds wonderful. I'm really excited and appreciative of the help.

Thanks all.

Cheers

BTW, I should be back with more stupid questions shortly.