Recording Vsts

dez81

ok i figured out how to record vsts but I always have to hit the midi button in the track inspector and turn it back to audio then midi to record is this normal behavior with vsts? also I cant figure out how to loop record and hear what I recorded i cant hear what i recorded on the first pass

hi dez81,

>> I always have to hit the midi button in the track inspector and turn it back to audio then midi to record is this normal behavior with vsts?

usually you don't have to switch between audio- and midi-recording. only to turn the violet record button on and off.

>> i cant hear what i recorded on the first pass

to hear your recording while playing you have first activate your monitoring of the track (Shortcut: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F or klick on the small speaker-symbol below the violet record-button) and check if in your record-options (Shift+R) the box at "Play while Recording" is checked.

now it should work.

>> I cant figure out how to loop record

loop recording usually works between two punch-markers. you can record your sequence either in overdub or replace-mode (menu MIDI/MIDI Record Mode). In Overdub mode you can hear already existing data and combine them with your new data. and afterwards it is possible to select the best take you've played in Take Manager (Ctrl+Shift+T). therefore the last recorded object between your punch-markers has to be selected. then in the Take Manager you will see all takes behind this object (last take is selected by a checked box). to hear them takes seperately you select one take and click on the play-button on top of Take Manager window.

only the selected take is displayed and used in the vip.

hope, i could help you.

andy

First, for Loop Recording you need to activate PUNCH recording, best after you have setup the loop range, then PUNCH in and PUNCH out markers are set automatically on the loop boundaries.

Then activate "OVERDUB" Recording for MIDI (e.g. in the transport console).

Take care: you can only hear the last cycles if there is already any MIDI data on the track you are recording to. Here the optimation that only MIDI tracks are played back which contain any MIDI data outsmarts itself - so it is necessary to create a dummy object with some MIDI data on that track.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,

Frank