Reviewing/comping Looped Takes

bandybum

Hi Samplitude world!

After 30 hours straight of playing with my copy of Samplitude SE.....i absolutely LOVE this thing!!

One question with regards to looped-punch-recording (for multiple takes and comping): this works like a dream....but it seems there is no Take Manager in SE....is there another means of reviewing/comping these takes?

Can't believe so many great features available in this version!

Cheers all ;)

Hi bandybum,

Glad your enjoying the world of Samplitude!

Unfortunately I don't have Samplitude SE so if it doesn't have a Take Manager I'n not sure how you would comp the takes . Guess it's time for me to to go to the store to pick up a copy of Computer Music ;)

Regards

Kraznet

Well I managed to get a copy from my local newsagent's. You're right there does not appear to be a Take Manager even though it mentions it in their help index. I think there is only really one way to comp multiple looped takes. Try the following :

When you've finished recording place the mouse at the bottom right edge of the object until it turns to a double arrow (make sure your using Universal Mouse Mode). Then grab the edge and pull it as far as it will go to the right . You should see more of the waveform revealed. Do the left-hand side as well until you have one long waveform. This should be all of the takes you have made in one long wave.

Next using the Range Mode with snap enabled select the object from the beginning to however long the first take was. Then hit T on the keyboard to Split Object. Then try this keyboard command : Ctrl+Shft+Cursor Right (Flip Range Right). This moves the range selction forward by the same amount . Hit T again to split the object. Continue until you have split all the recorded parts into the same sizes. When you have done this grab each part and pull it down to a new track below until they are all lined up. Then you can audition each part using the T command to split the individual parts to taste. You can also use Ctrl+M to mute or unmute the objects you are auditioning. Muted parts will turn grey. Not as easy as the Take Manager but workable nontheless.

Try the keyboard command Y and go to a "View Options" to define how you want the waveform/objects is to look in the VIP.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Kraznet

Hi Kraznet and thanks for your response

Having browsed through Samplitude Pro's forum i got the impression that, due to legacy development, there were at least 3 methods for accomplishing anything in Samplitude. Not the case for comping then, i guess? :)

Bummer....as everything else in SE is perfect for me.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions, besides upgrade preferably ;)

Incidentally, ive emailed Computer Music to see if they have any answers.

Cheers

AHA!!! Wonderful! ;)

Thank you very very much for your help, Kraznet. Much appreciated. This a fine work around.

Very similar to the method in Ableton, in fact, yet still quicker. This is one helluva piece of software they're giving away.....Rewire....VSTi support.....beautifully implemented object editor. Sweet product.

My only reservation is for the convoluted automation approach....great for pan and volume, but a pain in the neck for anything else. Do you know if this is being addressed for V9?

Also, does the Take manager make comping a breeze? If yes to both i may just have to crossgrade from SX3.

Many thanks again. :)

My only reservation is for the convoluted automation approach....great for pan and volume, but a pain in the neck for anything else. Do you know if this is being addressed for V9?

Although it appears that aux-send automation has been added to v9 and there may be some updates in the works to the curve handle handling (sorry, couldn't resist), I don't think we've heard any further news in that department for v9 unfortunately (actually, no official news at all in English).

Generally the Samplitude "model" is to have you set-up the effects you want for a particular region at the object level and then cross-fade between objects as needed. Of course this is not always the most direct way of working nor the best from an auditory perspective (phase issues for example), but is handy in a lot of cases.

BGK

Having browsed through Samplitude Pro's forum i got the impression that, due to legacy development, there were at least 3 methods for accomplishing anything in Samplitude. Not the case for comping then, i guess? :)

Hi bandybum,

Happy to help you out...Yes there are quite a few ways of achieving different things in Samp Pro but I'll be suprised if you can find another way to comp takes in SE- well I haven't found a way yet ;) . In Pro you just need to right click on the object and select Take Manager .The original take Manager pre V8.2 was was pretty buggy and the revamped one added the Take Composer which opens all the takes in a new window .You still have the Take Manager but this is more like a playlist where you can just audition/replace takes whereas the TC allows you to do do detailed comping in a much more elegant way.

I agree the automation is a bit clunky and I'm hoping it will improve in V9 .

Having checked out SE I'm pretty impressed with it as well especially for free even though I have the full version!

Regards

Kraznet

In the main forum somebody has put a link up to a V9 pdf flier in german:

http://www.samplitude.de/de/pdf/Samplitude9.pdf

A lot of it is gobbledygook but on the comparison list....under Automation.....we have Volume, Panorama, Aux-Send and VST. Could we be in with a chance here of "non-clunky" VST automation here, or is it just listing what features already exist? ;)

Could we be in with a chance here of "non-clunky" VST automation here, or is it just listing what features already exist? ;)

I believe there may be a new way to automate objects in the new version but I have no details about how it will work . My main gripe is that it's not possible to map hardware controllers to move the knobs on VST/VSTi's . Now this is something that Ableton does VERY well ! I emailed tech support and they are aware of this situation and I think a solution will be forthcoming .

Regards

Kraznet

In the main forum somebody has put a link up to a V9 pdf flier in german:

http://www.samplitude.de/de/pdf/Samplitude9.pdf

A lot of it is gobbledygook but on the comparison list....under Automation.....we have Volume, Panorama, Aux-Send and VST. Could we be in with a chance here of "non-clunky" VST automation here, or is it just listing what features already exist? ;)

I spent quite a while with that PDF and Dictionary.com! :)

It is difficult to read anything to much from the table unfortunately, as a lot of those features do indeed exist in v8 (in fact, I think only VariVerb Pro, Sampletank LE, De-Esser and Aux-Send automation are definitely new entries to the feature table). We do know that the developers have been making some changes in that area, but specifically what, well, we can just speculate and hope at this point.

Hmmm... ;)

...Crossgrading to Pro 8 right now includes V9 for free when released....tempting....but after the insights from you gentlemen i believe i shall just play with SE for now and await developments. :)

Was hoping Samplitude Pro would replace Cubase SX in my rewired SX/Ableton setup. Im not very fond of SX, but have to say the VST automation (including via control surfaces) and "stack" loop recording/comping are implemented very well. However, everything else in Samplitude blows SX away.

Come on Magix....pull your finger out!! Get these bases covered and you'll win over a slew of new and eager users!

:)

I tried VST automation with V9 Beta today and I could control/record automation for B4 and Pro-53 at the same time with a Behringer BCR200 and play them live with the midi keyboard at the same time, so in V9 it will be possible to map external hardware controllers for VST parameter automation.

Automation features will be futher improved in future, also.

Greetings,

Frank

I tried VST automation with V9 Beta today and I could control/record automation for B4 and Pro-53 at the same time with a Behringer BCR200 and play them live with the midi keyboard at the same time, so in V9 it will be possible to map external hardware controllers for VST parameter automation.

Automation features will be futher improved in future, also.

Greetings,

Frank

Sounds good Frank . Do you have news about mapping hardware controllers to change parameters on FX Plug ins (VST & Native) without recording automation curves? I'm looking to tweak FX like one would when using a hardware unit . You know turn a hardware knob and the virtual knob moves as well .

Regards

Kraznet

• 2 weeks later...

That is good news. I'm looking forward to v9.

<<edit: Ooops... I see I've carried this off topic. Sorry>>>

Do you think v9 will work with such VST plugs as http://www.devine-machine.com/ Lucifer2?

I've purchased this plug to use with samp v8.31 but it's basically useless in samp. I have to use it with Live instead and then import the track. It is kind of a hybrid between VST and VSTi. It is a VST FX which needs to sync to tempo, and affects (effects) the audio on the track. But it also needs to be controlled via midi notes & controller data. Even setting it to read an internal to Lucifer loop instead of incoming track audio and setting it up as VSTi, I could not make it work in v8.

Another VST to check for this is the free FX DestroyFX ResSynth... which has a similar need of Lucifer (MIDI notes in realtime to a VST FX).

These would be a good test for v9's thoroughness of plugin implementation.

Doug