Midi Recording

hexfix93

its strange. i'm used to logic and cubase.

so when recording midi, i record, then nothing is tehre, then i have to hit the record button again, then it asks "recording ok" ok or delete are offered as options.

is there any way to torn this off and make it behave more like logic or cubase? its super annoying..

Switch on record while playback.

BTW recorded MIDI data is not shown during recording, only after record stop.

You can also start Recording with "R" and stop with space bar.

The dialog which asks if you want to keep the recording can be switched off in the record options - extended options window. The record options dialog can be opened with Shift+R or by clicking the little rectangle in the upper right corner of the record button in the transport console.

Greetings,

Frank

so when recording midi, i record, then nothing is tehre, then i have to hit the record button again, then it asks "recording ok" ok or delete are offered as options.

is there any way to torn this off and make it behave more like logic or cubase? its super annoying..

He! Hex, you let me know if Samplitude is midi tight, or at least better than Cubase.

Thanks.

He! Hex, you let me know if Samplitude is midi tight, or at least better than Cubase.

Thanks.

i think it is tighter than cubase. to my ears, and it records me better than cubase does... but the gui and interface pales compared to cubase. but its very usable. it sounds way better, and i mean, way better, tigher bass, better high end, clearer mids..

what impresses me the most, is how well samplitude syncs wiht my x0x gear. i mean the jomox and hte fr revolution and mobius. the one thing i hate is when i record in sync mode, the music doesnt play along(other audio tracks). So its flying blind, you can turn the audio on by force, but then the latencies are off and its whacky. i'm still figuring out how to use it. IF you get a lot of midi going on, and you open the midi editor, the system slows to a crawl, this is completely unforgivable. this app has issues.

honestly. buy a hardware sequencer, and sync it up. that is what i plan to do, cause samplitudes midi implimentation is a joke as far as performance..

I'm only using daws on remixes. i think for sure i'll go real time analog again...

Tip: deactivate transparent drawing in the system options - colors dialog, and reduce your windows system graphic hardware acceleration about one step - this gives faster redraws on many systems.

Unless you don't work with very huge midi objects (way more than 1000 events per object), MIDI editing should be fast enough, so I suspect there maybe something wrong with your system if the tips above don't help.

What is your computer setup?

Greetings,

Frank

Thanks.

i think it is tighter than cubase. to my ears, and it records me better than cubase does... but the gui and interface pales compared to cubase. but its very usable. it sounds way better, and i mean, way better, tigher bass, better high end, clearer mids..

what impresses me the most, is how well samplitude syncs wiht my x0x gear. i mean the jomox and hte fr revolution and mobius. the one thing i hate is when i record in sync mode, the music doesnt play along(other audio tracks). So its flying blind, you can turn the audio on by force, but then the latencies are off and its whacky. i'm still figuring out how to use it. IF you get a lot of midi going on, and you open the midi editor, the system slows to a crawl, this is completely unforgivable. this app has issues.

honestly. buy a hardware sequencer, and sync it up. that is what i plan to do, cause samplitudes midi implimentation is a joke as far as performance..

I'm only using daws on remixes. i think for sure i'll go real time analog again...

Man I've followed your posts with interest on grear slutz, reaper's forum etc..., for the same reason, good sound/tight midi...I'm now stuck, i have 3 choices: Samplitude, Reaper, SAW.

MWS(saw) didn't work out for me, it's kind of buggy and not as user friendly... :) Man I'm goin nuts here...

hardware seq is out of question for me... So how is Reaper? is it midi tight? better, equal, worst than Samplitude?...I would really like to know that. Last time i check, Samplitude was ok for midi but i didn't use many track...

I'm asking for advise cause i don't know what to do anymore and I'm tired of testing this stuff...

Let me know if midi in reaper is better or not..

Thanks.

Thanks.

Man I've followed your posts with interest on grear slutz, reaper's forum etc..., for the same reason, good sound/tight midi...I'm now stuck, i have 3 choices: Samplitude, Reaper, SAW.

MWS(saw) didn't work out for me, it's kind of buggy and not as user friendly... :) Man I'm goin nuts here...

hardware seq is out of question for me... So how is Reaper? is it midi tight? better, equal, worst than Samplitude?...I would really like to know that. Last time i check, Samplitude was ok for midi but i didn't use many track...

I'm asking for advise cause i don't know what to do anymore and I'm tired of testing this stuff...

Thanks.

the truth is, hardware is the only way for midi, it is not as user friendly, but if you want tight sequences and an engine that records you properly, look to the mpc60, mpc 3000, rs7000, qy700, or the rmx-1. the pc doesnt have it, the mac doesnt have it. the atari had it. but its super limited ins and outs cripple it, now they are not reliable, sure there was midi expansions for the atari, but then the midi became un tight like the pc and mac.

samplitude midi is a joke just like cubase, just like sonar, just like reaper, just like traktion. saw's interface is so bad, its not even worth messing around with. get enough midi events happening in samplitude, and try and open the matrix editor, whoas slowsl ville. what a joke...

samplitude sounds great. i think saw has a slight edge, but samplitude wins in gui. but i'm going to give sonar 5 another try. one last time.....

no one seems to think tight midi is a big deal. so use daws as tape machines. thats it...

Hi Hexfix ,

Interesting comments. As a matter of interest whats you idea of "enough midi events" ? Are you talking high BPM sequences with lots of controller information? I always thought that Logics midi was the best and Notator/Creator had a much better feel than Cubase on the Atari . I've never used hardware sequencers but I know that many programmers swear by them .

Regards

Kraznet

Thanks.

MWS(saw) didn't work out for me, it's kind of buggy and not as user friendly... :( Man I'm goin nuts here...

Thanks.

the truth is, hardware is the only way for midi, it is not as user friendly, but if you want tight sequences and an engine that records you properly, look to the mpc60, mpc 3000, rs7000, qy700, or the rmx-1. the pc doesnt have it, the mac doesnt have it. the atari had it. but its super limited ins and outs cripple it, now they are not reliable, sure there was midi expansions for the atari, but then the midi became un tight like the pc and mac.

samplitude midi is a joke just like cubase, just like sonar, just like reaper, just like traktion. saw's interface is so bad, its not even worth messing around with. get enough midi events happening in samplitude, and try and open the matrix editor, whoas slowsl ville. what a joke...

samplitude sounds great. i think saw has a slight edge, but samplitude wins in gui. but i'm going to give sonar 5 another try. one last time.....

no one seems to think tight midi is a big deal. so use daws as tape machines. thats it...

he! Happy testing! ;);):D I'm kidding of course. personaly, I'm done testing :) , SAW wasn't so bad but it keept on crashing in live mode...I'm into classic music so tighness is not as esencial as you, so i will go with Samplitude, I'm sure it will be OK for what i do. The Audio side of Samp will be perfect for me, and Samp 9 looks great. B)

Anyway good luck!

P.S. It was a fun journey wasn't it? :(:(

Hi Hexfix ,

Interesting comments. As a matter of interest whats you idea of "enough midi events" ? Are you talking high BPM sequences with lots of controller information? I always thought that Logics midi was the best and Notator/Creator had a much better feel than Cubase on the Atari . I've never used hardware sequencers but I know that many programmers swear by them .

Regards

Kraznet

I just found your posts on Gearslutz Hexfix so I think they answer most of my questions .

Regards

Kraznet

Hi Hexfix ,

Regards

Kraznet

I just found your posts on Gearslutz Hexfix so I think they answer most of my questions .

Regards

Kraznet

man it sucks that an 8mhz 68000 atari computer could sound tight midi wise. but these big bloated super powerful pcs and all their math cant..

A lot of people use VSTis, here you have sample accurate "MIDI" timing. But you need a DAW as VSTi host then :)

vstis and i mean all of them, sound like toys. i could care less about any of them outboard is big, and nice and warm.. much better, even the vas. harware sounds way better. so why use vstis? so you can get sample accurate in the can thin tweedy sound? no thanks. i want my hardware. vst is a sham, and cubase made midi suck so people would buy into their vstis.. i say its a conspiracy all the daws are pushing to try and get you to care about their software over their hardware.. it angers me to no end..

vstis and i mean all of them, sound like toys. i could care less about any of them outboard is big, and nice and warm.. much better, even the vas. harware sounds way better. so why use vstis? so you can get sample accurate in the can thin tweedy sound? no thanks. i want my hardware.

For live stuff, ok, but how to get the pure analog sound on sound storage media (Tonträger, e.g. CD, tape) without loss? VSTi might sound not as good as real analog (so we skip the sampling area also), but when the work is finally released on CD anyway...

For the love and art and the making, I fully understand you, but there is another aspect:

I am still looking for decent recordings of electronic music on SACD or DVD-Audio which I suspect to transport much more of the original analog sound than CD.

On the other hand, mp3 is booming and SACD/DVD-Audio is hardly alive anymore, and so in this world VSTi is really good enough.

I just wonder why you like Waldorf Micro Q, it is pure digital also, so in principle a nice VSTi should be able to please you also... How about a hybrid setup with VSTi and external analog filters for warming the sound?

And you say PCs are not able to deliver tight MIDI, but how is it possible that SAW would have good MIDI timing then? Do they use special hardware?

Greetings,

Frank

http://earthvegaconnection.com/evc/product...st/results.html

lists several devices with jitter and latency not over 1 ms. 1 ms is the time a midi command takes in MIDI protocoll. So if there is not too much traffic on the bus/system/cpu you should be able to get solid timing with the correct gear. But 10 notes on midi will be blurred to an amount of about 10 ms, since MIDI is a serial connection. So for these things a hardware sequencer with inbuild sound engine is better, if you need exact parallel sounds. The atari cannot be better than a good PC setup with jitter/latency below 1 ms.

For the recording: windows uses timestamps for incoming MIDI data, so if the driver is well done there should be no issues also.

Greetings,

Frank

I don't use MIDI, so I can't comment on that unfortunately.... But I can comment on SAW as I did a good amount of testing on SAW for several months, and even spoke with Robert, the main sales guys for SAW via email and IM before I decided to upgrade to Samplitude V8 (I was using Samplitude V6 at the time).

samplitude sounds great. i think saw has a slight edge, but samplitude wins in gui.

I totally agree on the GUI part (SAW was just a little too weird for my liking). But soundwise I did some tests and found Samp and SAW to be identical as far as the sound engine goes. I loaded in 18 tracks and made the same volue adjustments in each program (I only changed volume levels, no effects were added), mixed both down to a single wave file, loaded both wave files back into Samplitude and flipped the phase on one of them and they cancelled each other out with no audible trace. You should also try this and verify it for yourself. ;)

I couldn't run this same test with the EQ and compressors, because the controls are a lot different in each program (for instance the Q setting in SAW is actually "bandwith", so it goes the opposite direction than Samplitude's Q control). So to compare the EQ's, I had to use Voxengo's SPAN analyzer and white noise to get a few different Q settings that had the same bandwidth. These weren't identical as I didn't want to spend THAT much time on it, but close enough... Using these Q settings I went through and made some EQ adjustments to each of the tracks and from this I couldn't pick a favorite EQ based on sound alone after tweaking back and forth a few times. But based on functionality, I'd take Samplitude's with it's graphical display because it's so much easier and faster to use.

Compressor wise, I found that SAW's compressor beat out Samplitude's "general" dynamics, but Samplitude's multiband compressor in single-band mode sounded much better than SAW's. I didn't even put it in multiband mode which opens up a whole lot more possibilities that SAW's can't do. Then of course there’s Sascha’s killer AM-Track comp, which there’s no competition IMHO (and it’s about to get even better in V9). :wacko:

I also tried out SAW's reverb and wasn't crazy about it at all. Samplitude's impulse reverb is very good, it is fantastic for realistic sounds (rooms, cathedrals, concert halls, etc.), but I haven't been able to get that "lush" vocal reverb with it yet. I am particularly looking forward to Sascha's Variverb plugin that's coming in Samplitude V9 as it sounds like it will cover the "lush" department very nicely. :o

Anyways, just thought I'd share my findings on these two programs.

-tkr