Wave Editor Question

hitch

Hi everyone. First post!

I've got Samplitude V8 SE courtesy of Computer Music magazine, and I'm sloooowly getting to grips with it. I'm new to all this though I have used Magix Music Maker 2004 - fun but buggy. Samplitude's sound quality is excellent and the package seems to offer a lot. My computer seems to like it too. :wacko:

Anyway, here's a newbie question:

I want to edit a wav, so I right-click the file in the sequencer and select Wave Editor. The editor opens with the wav inside it, but when I try to chop it I get this message: "This range of the physical object can't be changed because it is used by VIP objects." What do I do now? I'm sure the answer is very simple. ;)

Forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know, but the whole advantage to the way Samplitude and most DAWs work is that you don't have to edit the actual wave file. Editing it "virtually" in Samp's VIP is the way to go 99.87% of the time. With this type of editing, no changes are ever permanent, and much more complex and amazing results can be had.

Does this change your question, or do you still need to know how to edit the actual wave file?

Ken Rutkowski

www.OuterLimitRecordingStudio.com

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, you should not need to go into the wave editor. That's destructive editing (permanent) and is sooooo 1990's. Do your edits in the VIP window virtually. If it's just chopping the "D" out of the abc's, for instance, do the following: Using Universal Mouse Mode, click and drag on the top half of the waveform from after the D to before the D, then hit the T key. This will create a separate "object" of just the D. You can now do anything you want with it. Erase it, riase the volume, lower the pitch, compress it, put any of 40 billion effects on it, move it... whatever. You are now in the new age of music editing. Your original recorded wave file is still intact, but you can change it in any way.

Enjoy.

Or ask more questions.

Ken Rutkowski

www.OuterLimitRecordingStudio.com

I may have to ask more questions. ;) Ken, you lost me at "chopping the D out of the abc's". B) Does not compute!

I think I know what you're getting at but I can't quite get my head around it. I imported some construction kit files from the Computer Music magazine and, lo and behold, I managed to get a few seconds of music by judicious arrangment of the wavs in the VIP. And I bounced it down to a single wav which is now happily playing on Windows Media Player. It was pretty straightforward, which is a BIG thumbs up for Samp from me. So I'm starting to find my way around the sequencer. :wacko:

Does using the word "bounced" mean I'm now a musician? :o

At this stage I can lower the volume of a wav, pan it, change the length and position of it, etc. I've also worked out (I think) how to duplicate it. What I can't work out is how to chop up a wav and rearrange it into something else. For instance I have a wav with two orchestra hits on it and I want to delete the silence between the two hits, making one sound immediately after the other. How do I achieve this, as you suggest, in the VIP without using the wave editor? Or should I simply be using multiple examples of the wav on one track and just shorten and rearrange them (this sounds laborious and inaccurate)? Do I cut out the "dead" sound in the wav and then somehow stick the two leftover parts together? I like the idea of non-destructive editing, by the way. :lol:

Sorry to sound so obtuse, but it's a steep learning curve. I'm persevering because once I learned the basics I loved putting together the files to make my first piece of "music". I've used Audacity, Magix Music Maker and Mixcraft in the past, but Samplitude is the first "pro" sequencer I've used and it sounds fantastic.

Thanks for your help.

What I can't work out is how to chop up a wav and rearrange it into something else. For instance I have a wav with two orchestra hits on it and I want to delete the silence between the two hits, making one sound immediately after the other.

Hi there,

1. click on the object ( in the bottom half of it ) to select it.

2. left click drag a 'range' over the part of the object you wish to remove.

3. Press the delete key to remove that part. ( or Cntrl+ delete to remove that part and automatically move the portion on it's right-hand to meet up with the left part (filling the gap) That's called 'delete with ripple'

If you do a lot of this cutting, you could use the scissor mouse tool which cuts up the object anywhere you click.

All this should be it the manual or Help file

Regards,

Terry

Terry, thanks for that. I think I understand the principle of highlighting a section and deleting it now. I wish the help file was more...helpful. B) The ripple thing you told me about is handy but I have trouble adjusting both edges of a selection. If I highlight a section I can use the left and right arrow keys to adjust the left edge i.e. the beginning of a selection but I can't work out how to adjust the right edge (the end) of a selction. Any ideas?

Ken, not quite sure what you mean by taking the D out of the ABC. Can you explain? Sorry to bother you.

The way that I edit is I place the play cursor where I want to make a split and select the object I want to split, then press the "T" key. This will split the selected object right where the play cursor is. You can split multiple objects that are on different tracks by selecting more than one object and pressing the "T" key. This will split all of the objects that you have selected where the play cursor is.

The scissor tool works the same way, but most of the time I prefer this method over the scissor tool because I don't have to keep switching mouse modes. :D

If I highlight a section I can use the left and right arrow keys to adjust the left edge i.e. the beginning of a selection but I can't work out how to adjust the right edge (the end) of a selction. Any ideas?

Press and hold the "Shift" key while you use the left and right arrows.

Ken, not quite sure what you mean by taking the D out of the ABC. Can you explain? Sorry to bother you.

Say for instance you had a recording of someone speaking the alphabet and you wanted to edit out the letter "D" from it. You would use the method Ken described to remove the "D" from the track.

So instead of "A B C D E F G...", you could edit out the D and get "A B C E F G..."

He was using the alphabet as an example of something you could edit. Another example could be editing out a *cough* from a vocal track, which would be done in the same manner.... Make a range around the cough and hit the delete key.

Hope that helps. B)

-tkr