Playback At Higher Pitch Using Alesis Io|2

Kenny

Hi,

I've only recently decided to attempt to get my piano (Yamaha Clavinova CVP-203) to play through my computer. Samplitude 8.3 SE looked a good bet and it works really nicely. I play my piano through the AUX OUT into the alesis io|2 which in turn connects to my PC through USB. All good so far. I can play stuff on the piano and it does indeed get recorded by the PC. However, when I play it back, it is at a higher pitch.

Now, at first I figured I had set something incorrectly but no, I couldn't find what. Much info on Elastic Audio is provided but I couldn't find anything which suggested how I could have managed to record the piano and tell Samplitude to raise the pitch by around three quarters of a tone. So, I put it down to the fact that I must have set something wrong somewhere, and decided to install the software on my laptop.

At first, total success - I record stuff from the piano and play it back and it is recorded at the same pitch. Then I must've done something, because it worked for all of 2 minutes and now it (the laptop) is now doing *exactly* the same thing that my desktop PC did - it is playing it back at around three quarters of a tone higher.

At this point I started screaming.

The only thing I can think that I did to make this happen was to change the output of the music to go through the alesis io|2 device so I could listen to it on headphones, at which point it started playing at the higher pitch. However, when I then change it back to play through my laptop speakers (which are clearly awful quality) it is *still* playing at the higher pitch.

I have no idea why it did this or how to reset it to playing at the pitch it was recorded at. I also have no real way of knowing whether it is the samplitude software that is at fault, or the alesis io|2 device or software, or indeed a combination of the two.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I should do? I'm getting close to smashing the alesis io|2 device off a brick wall because I've spent 2 weeks attempting to determine what the problem is with virtually no success.

Somewhat annoyingly, despite this problem happening for the past week, it has now gone away and I can't replicate it.

I shall go hide in a hole, sitting in the corner, and whimper. And, of course, pray it doesn't come back; or at least if it does, I shall attempt to figure out how to replicate it.

Probably a 44,1 kHz vs 48 kHz Samplerate problem... Somehow the Alesis driver used another SR than Samplitude. Sometimes a driver reset sorts this out, e.g. by switching from ASIO to WDM and back to ASIO (assuming you are working with ASIO).

Greetings,

Frank

I concur... Sometimes I have the same issue with my M-Audio system. If I check the settings on the M-Audio control panel, I sometimes find the sampleerate set to "48" when the Samplitude session is set to 44.1. I also use an external digital clock. If I forget to reset it, I get the same issue. Hope this helps. B)

Check your Alesis control panel the next time this happens. You will probably find a samplerate mismatch.